Thread: Valencia v Kipnis

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Valencia v Kipnis

I'm in the hunt for my league - no waivers, and trade deadline is 07/31. We start 2 at 3B (see roster in sig) would you trade Kipnis for Valencia?

The key point is that Kipnis is deemed a 'prospect', meaning I can protect him into next year. The same is not the case for Valencia.

Dobber Sports Recruit

I also have a chance to get Chris Johnson in a smaller trade for very little, so I guess it depends on how much of a downgrade Johnson is from Valencia.

id take kipnis over valencia and valencia over johnson.

However you being in the hunt makes everything a bit more complicated imo. Id take Kipnis over valencia for his long term value but for the remaining portion of the season you might be better off with valencia.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Agree with Expos assessment!
    Keeper League:

F) N.Backstrom, E.Malkin, V.Lecavalier, P.Mueller, A.Mcdonald, B.Boyes, A.Hemsky, S.Horcoff, K.Turris, D.Jeffrey, M.Perreault, C.O'Reilly, S.Upshall, M.Erat, S.Gagne, D.Legwand D) S.Souray, M.Streit, A.Babchuk, T.Gilbert, I.Cole, J.Hillen, M.Methot G) B.Elliott, S.Varlamov, C.Ward, J.Reimer P) N.Kadri, E.Kuznetsov, S.Shirokov, V.Tarasenko, J.Blum, OEL, J.Moore, O.Pavelec

Dobber Sports Recruit

Quote Originally Posted by EXPOS4EVER View Post
    id take kipnis over valencia and valencia over johnson.

However you being in the hunt makes everything a bit more complicated imo. Id take Kipnis over valencia for his long term value but for the remaining portion of the season you might be better off with valencia.
    I agree with this post. Kipnis is going to get the playing time soon enough as Orlando Cabrera is probably getting dealt and continues to struggle offensively.

Dobber Sports Recruit

Of course now Freese leaves the game with an injury. I guess what it boils down to is whether it is worth trading Kipnis for Valencia for a run at it this year, or whether I can get away with trading very little for Johnson. I don't think I can get away without trading for one of them.

The way our prospects work is that we get to keep 3 for up to a few years, and I've already got Hellickson and Moustakas. Beyond them, I have to choose between one of Kipnis, Trayvon Robinson, and Tom Milone.

Dobber Sports Rookie

If you have a shot and you are actually playing Valencia, play Valencia. Plain and simple. If this means losing Kipnis for a chance at the title, its a small sacrifice.
    Keeper League:

F) N.Backstrom, E.Malkin, V.Lecavalier, P.Mueller, A.Mcdonald, B.Boyes, A.Hemsky, S.Horcoff, K.Turris, D.Jeffrey, M.Perreault, C.O'Reilly, S.Upshall, M.Erat, S.Gagne, D.Legwand D) S.Souray, M.Streit, A.Babchuk, T.Gilbert, I.Cole, J.Hillen, M.Methot G) B.Elliott, S.Varlamov, C.Ward, J.Reimer P) N.Kadri, E.Kuznetsov, S.Shirokov, V.Tarasenko, J.Blum, OEL, J.Moore, O.Pavelec

Dobber Sports Recruit

I would likely be rotating all three of Alvarez, Freese and Valencia depending on who's hurt (or sent down). Then again, I think our rosters are deep enough that the odd man out would still probably end up starting in a DH spot. I'm leaning towards doing the deal unless I can swing Michael Young out of the guy for Freese and Kipnis.