Thread: commodore for pitkanen?

Dobber Sports Expert

Default commodore for pitkanen?

from dobber\'s updates today. I think this is a bad deal for Carolina. I too have heard the rumour that they are going after Pitkanen, but Commodore was the most solid D man for Carolina last year, and he is also a heart and soul player for the Canes. This would not be a popular move with the fans. With our plethora of D, surely there is someone else they can trade?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Re:commodore for pitkanen?

well, im not so sure..i really like Pitkanen, and to think of him with the Canes, its nearly certain he\'ll be the defensemen on the PP. Yet the fact is you are right about Commodore, he is a heart and soul player for the Canes..and shall be sorely missed from a fans perspective.

You mentioned the plethora of defensemen...Don\'t get me wrong, I like most of them, but they arent that great, and often are injured. Hedican is one of the best skaters in the game, as well as being technically sound. But he doesn\'t have too long left in the NHL. Wesley..I admire his endurance, for what..20 seasons or so? But he is nearly finished. I did like the acquiring of Gleason and Seidenberg, hopefully they will be able to step up in the next few seasons. Wallin is a caveman, and Kaberle has hardly ever played a full season. Babchuk is playing in Russia or something next season. The Canes may have a lot of defensemen, but there wasnt anyone else who would have been accepted in a deal for Pitkanen. I say overall, the Canes won out.

Dobber Sports Expert

i didn\'t mean to imply they had a group of very talented guys, but they do have 8 d men I think under contract, and someone like David Tanabe, Gleason, or Seidenberg are all fairly solid. I agree with you that aside from Kaberle, the offensive aspect of the d corps is unimpressive. Very upsetting when you think about the Johnson trade from last year.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I\'m going to swim against the tide on this one. It\'s hard because I knew Commy from back when he was at UND with my brother. Great guy & super nice. This would be just what Carolina needs. They have some solid D-men but no one with the offensive capability of Pitkanen. Hedican & Wesley are getting long in the tooth & most of the other D-men are more defense oriented than offense. I think Pitkanen could shine learning under the wings of those two (Hedican & Wesley). Compare that to Hatcher & Rathje. It killed Philly blueline when Desjardin left & look how Pitkanen regressed. Give him to those 2 vets I think you would see big improvements.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

i had read a different version of the deal on rotoworld.com---

There is a rumor out of Edmonton that the Oliers, Hurricanes and Flyers are discussing a three-way deal.

Raffi Torres would move from the Oilers to the Flyers in exchange for Joni Pitkanen, who would be off to Carolina for Erik Cole. As much as we like Torres, we don\'t believe he is in the same bracket as Cole and Pitkanen. Consider this just water cooler talk for now.
    Source: Edmonton Sun
    12 team yahoo h2h (standard scorin) dynasty

c- j toews/j carter/n backstrom/j tavaras
    lw- a ovechkin/d sedin/t vanek
    rw- j pominville/j voracek/a hemsky/p kessel
    d-s weber/ a goligoski
    g- r miller/s mason/s varlamov/m nuevirth

Dobber Sports Expert

I don\'t see any reason for the Hurricanes to consider moving Cole.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

haha yea, that would be absolute madness..Torres for Pitkanen? Pitkanen for Cole? I hope that doesn\'t pan out.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

K, you guys trying to set me up for a coronary or something lol. Don\'t get me wrong, Commodore and Torres are fine players but nowhere near the value of what some consider a cornerstone OD. Homer needs to make sure he gets proper value for Pitkanen. He\'d be better off to give the kid another year and see what happens, maybe he can get back on track. OD aren\'t falling from the sky so when you have a chance to mold one and have him for years it isn\'t a smart move to just give up and hope for another to come along. I\'m hoping they forget about this crap and try harder to unload the stiffs that we don\'t need not the ones that are going to be beneficial for years to come.
    H2H Points
    Protect- roster:18 + prospects:7
    F- Tavares, M.Richards, Lecavalier, Kovalchuk, Horton, Hossa, Purcell, Hartnell, Pominville, Simmonds
    D- Doughty, Hedman, Boyle, Meszaros, Wideman
    G- Fleury, Halak, Vokoun

Prospects-
    F- Bowman, Coyle, Adam, Zibenajad, Geoffrion
    D- Savard, Wishart
    G- Hackett, Jones

Dobber Sports Padawan

I\'ve got to agree with Flyer. The Canes come out as the big winner in this deal. If the Flyers are seriously considering this its time to bring that disaster Bobby Clarke into the fold. As a Flames fan I remember Commodore fondly from the cup run but he\'s definitely replaceable, whereas a defenceman like Pitkanen doesn\'t come along everyday. He\'s a potential building block d-man, you, offensive minded, powerplay qb for years to come, in short exactly what carolina needed last year when they traded jack johnson for a third line center and a 3rd tier d-man. If this deal is on the table Carolina needs to pull the trigger yesterday.