Thread: Roto strategy? Preferred settings?

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Roto strategy? Preferred settings?

I have only ever played in one roto league - two years ago - and I actually won it considering I had been out of touch for a few years. But it took a lot of research and I was very active.

I understand how to play and be successful in roto - main experience is hockey - so it mainly came down to learning more about the players that would help my team in specific categories. I had horrible pitching from the start and I soon realised its importance since the hitter/pitcher category ratio was an even split (7/7).

That being said, I am considering joining another roto league this year (moderately deep 12+ teams, depth similar to below), and was wondering about a couple things:

1) What settings do you prefer? These were mine in a 14 team league:

Max games: 162 game max (I like), 2000 innings (seemed fine but don't know any better)
    Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, 3OF, 2Util, 3SP, 2RP, 5P, 5BN, 2DL
    Categories: R H HR RBI SB AVG OBP / W CG SHO SV K ERA WHIP

I don't like CG/SHO as there are too few to make it worthwhile, and has too much of an effect on the standings. Any thoughts/suggestions?

2) It will be an autodraft. How do you suggest I rank based on positional importance? Of course I'll have do my homework to catch up and identify specific players, rankings etc, so you can be general in your advice.

Thanks in advance.

Dobber Sports Rookie

We use to have CG/SHO in our league but got rid of SHO as many felt it was more a double reward, although not necessarily true.

Autodraft is difficult, haven't done it since my early days. I'm not sure if the AI has improved, but if I were to rank on order of importance:

SS
    3B
    2B
    C
    1B
    OF

Only roto league I'm in is a keeper league, and never protect relievers unless it's a specific stud. I also tend to leave pitchers unprotected unless they're studs. Usually draft 20/20 players and leave pitching until the end.

Hope this helps

Dobber Sports Novice

I tend to autodraft in most leagues, so I'm used to spending time working through lists to find the right rankings. That positional order does help, as I can see where lack of depth comes into play. I think I probably will need to do my homework and start making my own positional rankings, perhaps putting them into tiers. Thanks.