Thread: First Round (2 picks) Help

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default First Round (2 picks) Help

I play in a weekly head to head (7 games/wk)League that only allows a player to play as many games for me as he does during the week, thus, you need at least 2 players at each position while 2 starters can be used twice each week needing at least 5 starters. Relief pitcher appearances must equal at least 12. My keepers are in my signature. As you can see, my starting lineup is fairly set as is my starting pitching so I can pretty much draft best talent available. I have the 2nd and 12th overall pick in this years draft for the first round and I\'m trying to get a consesus for who to take.

Here are the few players I\'ve narrowed the first round picks to: C- Jeff Clement; 1B-Adam Laroche, Casey Kotchman; 2B-Rickie Weeks; SS-Migeul Tejada or Orlando Cabrera; 3B Blalock, I. Stewart, Andy Laroche; DH-Hafner; OF-Hart, Choo, N. Cruz, E. Dukes, T. Snider; RP- Ryan, Sherrill, Street, Qualls; SP- Chris Young, Max Scherzer, Johnny Cueto, John Danks, Jered Weaver, Brett Meyers.

I am leaning towards Rickie Weeks with the 2nd overall pick given the weakness at that position in the draft and BJ Ryan with the 12th Pick if he\'s still available; However, Even though I am fairly loaded at SP, Ignoring Talents like Chris Young and Scherzer are very tough to ignore. Also, With V. Well\'s Injury, OF may be a need for me as well. Please help with a few suggestions. Thank you.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Hart is a solid 5 tool guy, Dukes\' has breakout potential and Cruz is penciled in for cleanup in Texas. it is hard to ignore those pitchers, but because youre all but set at SP, i would target two guys from the group of Hart, Dukes, Cruz and Weeks.

I would also wait on RP, try and grab one of those guys with your 3rd pick or, if they\'re gone, go after a reliever who\'s next in line behind an unproven closer.

Dobber Sports Rookie

I would honestly think Hart would be the first to go.

I don\'t think your pitching is as reliable as you think. Beckett, Harden and Bedard can go down anytime during the season. Who knows if Dice K will be as lucky as last year. If I were you, my first priority would be to draft Chris Young first. This will give you more depth at SP in case one or all 3 of your guys go down. Coming back on the turn you could potentially draft an OF like Dukes, Choo or Cruz if available.

Drafting Rickie Weeks with your 2nd pick is reaching because of position scarcity. Rickie Weeks is also a huge injury risk (don\'t think he\'s played a full year yet), when there\'s guys out there much better than him, and more reliable.
    Keeper League:

F) N.Backstrom, E.Malkin, V.Lecavalier, P.Mueller, A.Mcdonald, B.Boyes, A.Hemsky, S.Horcoff, K.Turris, D.Jeffrey, M.Perreault, C.O'Reilly, S.Upshall, M.Erat, S.Gagne, D.Legwand D) S.Souray, M.Streit, A.Babchuk, T.Gilbert, I.Cole, J.Hillen, M.Methot G) B.Elliott, S.Varlamov, C.Ward, J.Reimer P) N.Kadri, E.Kuznetsov, S.Shirokov, V.Tarasenko, J.Blum, OEL, J.Moore, O.Pavelec

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Very good points DJK. You are correct that I have questions regarding stability of SP with Harden, Bedard and Beckett all with injury questions which is the only reason I would consider Young or Scherzer. Hart was very good, but he was actually my last cut so I got to watch his horrid 2nd half along with poor ancillary numbers down the stretch which is why I went with the longer term upside with C.Young.

Also, Usually I\'d agree with you about that position scarcity issue, but just a few years ago, Weekes was a 5 tool can\'t miss prospect at a week 2B position. I did something very similar last season choosing Pedroia with my first pick when I had C. Utley as my starter. That panned out very well as Utley got me Wright and CC Sabathia in an off season trade. But still very good points that I need to consider. Karma for you.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Again, if Weeks were a healthy 2B, I\'d say go for it. Weeks hasn\'t played a full season yet, and combined with his poor and declining contact and hit rate, I wouldn\'t bother. Just my 2 cents.
    Keeper League:

F) N.Backstrom, E.Malkin, V.Lecavalier, P.Mueller, A.Mcdonald, B.Boyes, A.Hemsky, S.Horcoff, K.Turris, D.Jeffrey, M.Perreault, C.O'Reilly, S.Upshall, M.Erat, S.Gagne, D.Legwand D) S.Souray, M.Streit, A.Babchuk, T.Gilbert, I.Cole, J.Hillen, M.Methot G) B.Elliott, S.Varlamov, C.Ward, J.Reimer P) N.Kadri, E.Kuznetsov, S.Shirokov, V.Tarasenko, J.Blum, OEL, J.Moore, O.Pavelec

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I think if you\'re considering BPA here - #1 Hart if he\'s gone, I\'d also consider your SP as an area to add some depth. Unlike DJK, I prefer Danks to CYoung. Danks is both young, plays for a better team and improving each year. At the end of this season he might very well fit nicely into one of your keeper slots ala. Billingsley last season (though Bills has a tad more going for him than Danks).

If I\'m going SP I\'m going either Scherzer or Danks here, no question. CYoung and his 5IP/start can play for some other fantasy team this season as far as I\'m concerned.