Thread: bodog.com

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default bodog.com

Just went to bodog.com and found that it has been seized!!

http://bodog.com/

Here's an article...

http://www.thestar.com/business/arti...adian-websites

The message from the case is clear: all dot-com, dot-net, and dot-org domain names are subject to U.S. jurisdiction regardless of where they operate or where they were registered.

Banned

they tried to pull this same shit a couple years ago with bodog...there's no ****ing way this stands ultimately...the U.S. REALLY wants to believe they can tell the whole world what to do with everything but they're losing their hold more and more as time goes on...if they continue to pursue this line of nonsense to its ultimate conclusion we're gonna see 2 internets, the U.S. approved version and the rest of the world

Dobber Sports Master

That is ****ing pathetic.

Dobber Sports Veteran

So they're asserting that simply using ".com" brings it under US jurisdiction.

And since bodog has no assets in the US, the "Bodog.com" site name has been seized.

So Homeland Security, and the US Attorney's have managed to force bodog.com to change their name to bodog.uk or something, ...and have accomplished what?

This must be a legal trial balloon by the whitehouse, looking for a plan "B" after "SOPA" was shot down.

I dunno, seems silly to me.
    CBS 8 team keeper(5-8) - Points only

C: Tavares, Duchesne, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins
    LW: Parise, Benn, Neal
    RW: Kessel, Giroux, Stewart
    D: Green,Karlson, Carlson, Whitney, Edler, White
    G: Rinne, Lundqvist
    2LW,2C,2RW,4D,1G pts.= G=2, PPG=3, SH=5, A=1, W=3, S=.2, GA=-1, SO=4,

(Tired of watching today's trophys pass you buy? Waiting for a tomorrow that may never come? Why not win NOW? ...Ask about our "Pre-owned vets for prospects" program, and start winning TODAY!)

Dobber Sports Padawan

hey if I can't play, no one can play!

Dobber Sports Star

This is absolutely shameful. I have a huge problem with anybody from any other country flexing their muscle and telling other people around the world how to live. I wonder which court they went through to get the warrant to force them to redirect to a Homeland Security page.

How this plays out has HUGE ramifications for the future of the internet. I am disgusted.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Padawan

This internet war is going to get ugly. Screw the states. Hope some major sites change from .com/.net/.org in protest
    5th Year 12 Team Dynasty H2H, Daily Starts
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, Hits, PPP, SHP
    W, GAA, Sv%, Svs, SO

C: J.Spezza, A.Galchenyuk, E.Kuznetsov, M.Hanzal, V.Rask, S.Couturier
    LW: Z.Parise, M.Gaborik, T.Vanek, J.Skinner
    RW: C.Perry, J.Pavelski, P.Hornqvist, V.Nichushkin
    D: E.Karlsson, P.K Subban, J.Muzzin, R.Ristolainen
    G: R.Miller, S.Varlamov, D.Dubnyk

Prospects: Matthews, Kapanen, Vrana, Scherbak, Zadorov, Grubauer, Pickard, Aittokallio, Makarov, Reway, Guryanov, McCarron, Samsonov, Aho, Montour, Bowey

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I still have ~$500 that Phil Ivey, Chris Fergusen, and the rest of the Full Tilt Poker crew have stolen from me.

Yep, stolen.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I read up on this a bit yesterday. Turns out Bodog has already changed their name and has been doing business under another name for over year.

So bascially Homeland Security went out of their way to spend time and money in order to a seize a dormant site name, and had to find a breach of a state law (Maryland) to do it.

To me this just reeks of being some sort of legal lab experiment.

The only reason I can think of for targeting a dormant site in favor an operating one would be the Justice Dept.'s feeling they have a good chance of losing this in court, and wanting to limit potential liabilities while getting a definitive legal opinion on the books as to what they can and can't do.

Otherwise, it would make much more sense to go after an operating site with tangible assets available.
    CBS 8 team keeper(5-8) - Points only

C: Tavares, Duchesne, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins
    LW: Parise, Benn, Neal
    RW: Kessel, Giroux, Stewart
    D: Green,Karlson, Carlson, Whitney, Edler, White
    G: Rinne, Lundqvist
    2LW,2C,2RW,4D,1G pts.= G=2, PPG=3, SH=5, A=1, W=3, S=.2, GA=-1, SO=4,

(Tired of watching today's trophys pass you buy? Waiting for a tomorrow that may never come? Why not win NOW? ...Ask about our "Pre-owned vets for prospects" program, and start winning TODAY!)

Dobber Sports Guru

from what I understand the US government is using anti-money laundering laws/legislation to go after bodog and other such sites claiming that they do not do their due diligence regarding large deposits and withdrawals shortly after etc etc. I havent read up enough about this but one of the docs I read said that there was evidence of money laundered through bodog that ended up being used in organized crime endeavours.

I...am your father.

fortunately, bodog.ca is alive and well...and so is my Malkin wager
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    fortunately, bodog.ca is alive and well...and so is my Malkin wager
    saw that the other day in the ramblings ..... ballsy, but I like that you put your money where your mouth is ..... hope you win as that will mean Malkin has a great H2H playoffs for me

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    they tried to pull this same shit a couple years ago with bodog...there's no ****ing way this stands ultimately...the U.S. REALLY wants to believe they can tell the whole world what to do with everything but they're losing their hold more and more as time goes on...if they continue to pursue this line of nonsense to its ultimate conclusion we're gonna see 2 internets, the U.S. approved version and the rest of the world
    They did it with pokerstars..... Bodog still works outside of the states but that sucks for US residents. Just glad I got my $100 bet in this summer when the had the rangers at 30-1 to win the cup
    Two Stroke Hockey League - Points only, full keeper
    Capwise Full Keeper H2H Roto Leagues: East Coast Fantasy League,
    Icey Cups Fantasy Hockey League - H2H Points, Full Keeper