Thread: 03/02/2012 Studs & Duds

Administrator

Default 03/02/2012 Studs & Duds

For those who spent the entire night looking into the Ron Wilson firing, I'm here to remind you that there were hockey games as well. There were only six games but there was plenty of content. As usual, if you want to see someone added to the article, instead of complaining it's on you to create an awesome title and explain why he qualifies as a stud or dud.

STUDS

Parise hurts Capitals, himself

Zach Parise scored three goals against the Capitals. More impressive is his efficiency as he only needed three shots to complete the hat trick. Even more impressive is that he did this in only 9:36 of ice time because he left the game with injury.

Shutouts a game-changer in H2H

Johan Hedberg and Jimmy Howard each secured a shutout last night which in some cases can single-handedly win a head-to-head matchup in a fantasy league. I'm not sure when the playoffs begin on other websites, but in my league this is the final week of the season which means there are teams battling for playoff spots and need a win now. Hedberg and Howard proved to be game-changers with their work.

Howard made 19 saves while Hedberg made 23.

Sea of Red (Wings)

The Detroit Red Wings completed a 6-0 massacre of the Minnesota Wild. A few Wings stood out on the stat sheet:

Valtteri Filppula 2G, 1A, +3, 4SOG, 3HIT
    Niklas Kronwall 3A, +2, 2SOG, 2HIT
    Ian White 1G, 1A, +4, 3SOG
    Henrik Zetterberg 1G, 2A, +3, 4SOG

HONOURABLE MENTIONS

From the press box to a career-best

Teddy Purcell was scratched earlier this season for not playing with enough intensity. The first half of his season was very forgettable but has recently been on a massive tear. Last night he posted a goal and two assists. He has an active eight-game point streak (17 points) and currently sits at 50 points in 63 games. He needs a single point over the final 17 games to match his career-high of 51.

Razor-Sharp

The Chicago had some added motivation heading into their game in Ottawa as it was goaltender Ray Emery's first game back in the city he used to call home. The Hawks won 2-1, and Emery stopped 25 of 26. Patrick Sharp assisted on both goals and had six shots on goal.

Duck Hunt

Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf each had a goal and an assist while finishing plus-2. Getzlaf was especially good in peripherals as he added a penalty, three shots and 10/18 faceoffs.

DUDS

Put a camera on his helmet!

If someone wanted a highlight reel of the Red Wings stomping the Wild 6-0, someone should have put a camera on Dany Heatley's head. He was on the ice for four of those goals and played 20 minutes total.

Bleeding blue

Brian Boyle, Brandon Prust and Ruslan Fedotenko each finished minus-3 in a 4-3 loss to Tampa Bay. Boyle was the only one to redeem himself to fantasy owners with a penalty, two shots, two hits and 11/14 faceoffs.

Wideman Laichs Green Semin

The Caps lost 5-0 to the Devils and many of their players finished minus-2. However, Dennis Wideman, Brooks Laich, Mike Green and Alexander Semin were the fantasy-relevant guys to accomplish the feat.

DISHONOURABLE MENTIONS

Your move, Vokoun

Michal Neuvirth allowed five goals on 20 shots. Those of you hoping for Vokoun to get more games will probably get their wish, at least for next game. Maybe next time the title will be "Your move, Neuvirth."

Falling upon Harding times

Josh Harding has an opportunity to showcase himself to potential suitors in July as Niklas Backstrom is out for a while giving him the opportunity to play a string of consecutive matches. Things got off to a rough start as Harding allowed six goals on 29 shots before getting the hook.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ninja

Man where the hell did Teddy Purcell find this other gear.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by b0ndon View Post
    Man where the hell did Teddy Purcell find this other gear.
    He found it alongside his testicles, which were apparently the reason for him being benched in the first place.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ninja

Lol, in all seriousness thanks for the recap though, was busy last night and basically had no idea what happened in the hockey world other than Josh Harding got demo'd.

Wow...just got the "Wideman Laichs.......That was hilarious lol.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!