Thread: My Ovi....

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default My Ovi....

So I was Ovi bitching to another GM and he offered me his Lundqvist and 1st pick next year for him.......so so tempted......

Thoughts?
    12 team keeper league. 8 keepers/team.
    Skater Pts: goal = 2, assist =1, +/-, PIM = .5
    Goalie Pts: win = 5, SO = 3, Sv = .1, GA = -.9

FORWARDS:
    C. Giroux, I. Kovalchuk, E. Malkin, D. Clarkson, D. Perron, J. Pominville, J. Tootoo, R. Mason, R. Nash, J. Iginla, S. Gagner, R. O'Reilly, T. Bozak
    DEFENSE:
    C. Letang, Mike Green, A. Edler, N. Kronwall, D. Engelland, K. Yandle, B. Dillon, P. Martin
    GOALIES:
    R. Miller, J. Quick J. Hiller, C. Nilstorp

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Interesting offer, especially considering your most viable option in nets is Hiller or Rask if you're looking more longterm. In this format I would imagine it would easy enough to redraft a goaltender of Hiller's value or slightly greater and Rask would be further down. So adding Lundqvist would help you manage a great tandem for next year as you could draft a good tender.

Giving up Ovechkin in a goal-heavy format is very risky though. It is nice that you have two 40+ scorers in Kovalchuk and Parise though and Malkin has been scoring plenty too. Datsyuk and Giroux add much value in the assist department more, but get a ton of them. So trading Ovie allows you for sustainable point production so that you are not giving everything up.

Taking a look at the numbers:

Ovechkin -
    2011-2012: 117.75 (pro-rated)
    2010-2011: 137.5
    2009-2010: 203.5

Lundqvist -
    2011-2012: 285.5 (pro-rated)
    2010-2011: 257.5
    2009-2010: 230.9

Looking at these numbers, its clear that Lundqvist is more valuable because of your pools high value for saves and the fact that he is usually one of the least scored against goalies.

I would take this deal because of the immense security you have in your forward pool for production and that you would be solidifying your goaltending. Oh, don't forget that first round pick

Edit:

I realize I didn't include the value added by Ovechkin's +/- but his value there is easily replaced by one smart draft/pick up. Think Chris Kelly this year.
    Last edited by TwoPuckCanuck; February 14, 2012 at 7:34 PM.
    GMHL Dynasty
    14 Team H2H 27-Pro/20-Farm
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 7BN, 4IR+
    G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG,SOG, HITS, BLKS, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Mike Ribeiro, Patrik Elias, Tyler Johnson, Stephen Weiss, Steve Ott, Jarret Stoll
    LW: Gabriel Landeskog, Mats Zuccarello, Marcus Johansson, RJ Umberger, Matt Cooke, Justin Abdelkader
    RW: Troy Brouwer, Daniel Alfredsson, Erik Cole, Shane Doan, Jackob Silfverberg
    D: Dustin Byfuglien, Brent Seabrook, Joni Pitkanen, Erik Gudbranson, Matt Carle, Dmitri Orlov, Seth Jones, Hampus Lindholm
    G: Henrik Lundqvist, Anton Khudobin, Jason LaBarbera, Devan Dubnyk, Anders Lindback

Dobber Sports Initiate

great breakdown and insight....I am really torn on this one. I mean, it's OVI...I worked really hard to get him the beginning of the year, and he cost me a lot, maybe a shot at winning. (Ovi/P. Kane for the Sedins).....and if he ever bounces back to close to his former glory and I have traded him...sheesh....but I do need a stud goalie as it is my weak spot big time.....ahhh, decisions decisions......

FORWARDS:
    C. Giroux, I. Kovalchuk, E. Malkin, D. Clarkson, D. Perron, J. Pominville, J. Tootoo, R. Mason, R. Nash, J. Iginla, S. Gagner, R. O'Reilly, T. Bozak
    DEFENSE:
    C. Letang, Mike Green, A. Edler, N. Kronwall, D. Engelland, K. Yandle, B. Dillon, P. Martin
    GOALIES:

Dobber Sports Star

Looking at your forward group I think you could make this work for you.

10 team H2H !Y League (4 keepers - at least 1 must be a D-man OR Goalie)
    Start - 2C, 2L, 2R, 1U, 3D, 2G, 6Bench,​ 2IR, 2IR+ (Daily) (5 moves per week)
    Skaters - G, A, +/-, PPP,
    PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    Goalies - Wins, Saves, S%, GAA (Min. 4 starts)
    Championships 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016, 2017,
    2019*, 2023

C-McDavid, Trocheck, Suzuki
    L-B.Tkachuk(C/L), Forsberg,
    Konecny(L/R)
    R-Hyman(L/R), Svechnikov(L/R), P. Kane
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi,
    G-​​DeSmith, Thompson, Hill
    IR
    -Demko

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by SlobTheGreat View Post
    great breakdown and insight....I am really torn on this one.

...but I do need a stud goalie as it is my weak spot big time.....ahhh, decisions decisions......
    Not a problem Slob, glad to give some thoughts on it. I can't blame you for being torn.

I do agree, it is your one weak spot and have expendable assets on the offensive side that could seal a deal for a top 5 goaltender.
    GMHL Dynasty
    14 Team H2H 27-Pro/20-Farm
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 7BN, 4IR+
    G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG,SOG, HITS, BLKS, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Mike Ribeiro, Patrik Elias, Tyler Johnson, Stephen Weiss, Steve Ott, Jarret Stoll
    LW: Gabriel Landeskog, Mats Zuccarello, Marcus Johansson, RJ Umberger, Matt Cooke, Justin Abdelkader
    RW: Troy Brouwer, Daniel Alfredsson, Erik Cole, Shane Doan, Jackob Silfverberg
    D: Dustin Byfuglien, Brent Seabrook, Joni Pitkanen, Erik Gudbranson, Matt Carle, Dmitri Orlov, Seth Jones, Hampus Lindholm
    G: Henrik Lundqvist, Anton Khudobin, Jason LaBarbera, Devan Dubnyk, Anders Lindback

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by SlobTheGreat View Post
    So I was Ovi bitching to another GM and he offered me his Lundqvist and 1st pick next year for him.......so so tempted......

Thoughts?
    No. Normally, for a player of OV's caliber, i expect a stud G, W and D. One of the three can be good, but 2 of the three, at the very least, should be studs. Lundy is the best G to own, and has great value. However, OV is a generational talent, which should garner enough talent for a mini-rebuild. Regardless of format, no way i send him for one player. You should be getting back 3 known commodities, no prospect or pick in a package for him is acceptable. If anyone thinks this is crazy look at his point totals in his short career. Several 100pt seasons is ludicrous talent. I think you could get more juice out of the deal than Lundy straight up.
    Last edited by One87; February 15, 2012 at 12:31 PM.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by One87 View Post
    No. Normally, for a player of OV's caliber, i expect a stud G, W and D. One of the three can be good, but 2 of the three, at the very least, should be studs. Lundy is the best G to own, and has great value. However, OV is a generational talent, which should garner enough talent for a mini-rebuild. Regardless of format, no way i send him for one player. You should be getting back 3 known commodities, no prospect or pick in a package for him is acceptable. If anyone thinks this is crazy look at his point totals in his short career. Several 100pt seasons is ludicrous talent. I think you could get more juice out of the deal than Lundy straight up.
    Gotta disagree. Goaltending wins pools. Accordingly, Lundy is the most valuable player with a set of skates on in that format. Look to see if you can pump the name value of Ovi a bit more on this deal. But you should take that offer and not look back. Counter offer for Lundy and one of his keeper D.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman View Post
    Gotta disagree. Goaltending wins pools. Accordingly, Lundy is the most valuable player with a set of skates on in that format. Look to see if you can pump the name value of Ovi a bit more on this deal. But you should take that offer and not look back. Counter offer for Lundy and one of his keeper D.
    That's cool, i understand where you're coming from. However, if this guy came to him, slob has the leverage, so why accept, especially if he's torn himself? Also, this guy values OV highly as he's adding a first to the equation. I think Slob can do better, him requesting a player + Lundy or him adding something to his side to get Lundy + a better player as opposed to the pick. I think he can get a known commodity as well.

Even if this guy were to turn down such a counter, Slob knows he can get OV straight up for Lundy when this guy is offering Lundy + pick.

W:

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by One87 View Post
    That's cool, i understand where you're coming from. However, if this guy came to him, slob has the leverage, so why accept, especially if he's torn himself? Also, this guy values OV highly as he's adding a first to the equation. I think Slob can do better, him requesting a player + Lundy or him adding something to his side to get Lundy + a better player as opposed to the pick. I think he can get a known commodity as well.

Even if this guy were to turn down such a counter, Slob knows he can get OV straight up for Lundy when this guy is offering Lundy + pick.
    Oh absolutely. If he can get more out of the deal, why not? I guess what I was trying to get across was that this is a great deal already, but could get even greater. [i.e. Lundy + (keeper material) + 1st. for Ovechkin]

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman View Post
    Oh absolutely. If he can get more out of the deal, why not? I guess what I was trying to get across was that this is a great deal already, but could get even greater. [i.e. Lundy + (keeper material) + 1st. for Ovechkin]
    Gotchya. ;-)

W:

Dobber Sports Initiate

Hey, thanks for all the great thoughts and insight on both sides.
    I actually decided to hold off doing anything for right now. I would be selling him at a low production time, plus selling out of frustration rarely works out....so I politely said not at this time, but kept the door open for future discussions on the topic.

No idea if I did the right thing, but that never stopped me before! hahaha

FORWARDS:
    DEFENSE:
    GOALIES: