Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I want Mike Green

Dobber Sports Guru

Yes Green WAS the best fantasy defenseman for 2 years but the Caps dont play that way anymore so thats a thing of the past, add in the emergence of Carlson and Orlov as well as Wideman filling in very well this year and Green's days as the centrepiece of that D corps are over.

He used to be the only offensive option, for instance in 08-09 Milan Jurcina and Poti were the next highest scoring Dmen with 14 and 13 pts respectively. Then in 09-10 the next best Dman was Poti with 24 pts and Jeff Schultz with 23 pts (yes the Schultz that is scratched all the time now). My point is that Green doesnt need to be relied on as heavily any more as he was in the past to produce from the backend.

Also, and this has been mentioned numerous times by dobber writes and other columnists including Friedman, Green plays a high-risk style that is hard on his body and the Caps are trying to get him to change that style to enable him to stay healthy, that change in style also affects his production in my opinion.

Add in a groin injury, which if it has torn from the bone can be both very painful and is almost untreatable other than pain killers. Side note: my best buddy was a very good Junior A player and he tore his groin up when he was 17 playing hockey and it never healed and hasnt been the same since, he had to quit playing and still has issues with it 15 years later.

Anyways in summary, yes by all means buy low on Green but dont buy low in the expectation of him returning to his 70 pts days or even 60 pt levels, they are over, that ship has sailed in my opinion

Dobber Sports Expert

"I want Mike Green"
    - Sharp87

You can have mine....good price...FREE!
    12 -Team Yahoo, Points Pool, Keeper (Since 1995): G(1), A(1), PPG(1), SHG(1) GWG(1), W(2), SHO(3). Protect 13 each season.

C (4): Hayes, Bonino, White, Bozak
    LW (4): Aho, Huberdeau, K Connor, Gourde
    RW (4): Perry, Boeser, Tuch, Zucker
    F (1):Labanc
    D (4): Barrie, Theodore, Faulk, Shattenkirk
    G (1): Lehner

Bench: (C) Kerfoot, (RW) Silfverberg, (LW) Bertuzzi (D) Q Hughes, R Murray, D'Angelo (G) Demko, Markstrom,

Dobber Sports Pro

As a Green owner since 2006, I know the highs & lows. Aside from the obvious there are some disturbing issues. His RFA status and would WAS consider trading him. Considering his value to the team, probably not likely. But it could help or drop his value. Even last season+playoffs and earlier this season, Green wasnt on the #1 PP unit which defies all common sense, yet it happened (maybe >75%). Even in his full game back recently, Wideman still got the #1 unit even though the PP% is poor. Prior to Hunter, maybe you could attribute it to Boudreau but I wonder what was going on there. Why would you not put Green in the position where he is best?

I would consider trading him if I got decent value, 50-55 pt d-man, otherwise, not worth my time. No serious offers have come my way in my league since last season though. Personally, I want him out of Washington as I get bad vibes there re:his recent PP time.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
    I would consider trading him if I got decent value, 50-55 pt d-man, otherwise, not worth my time.
    That's sound logic - the "Green brand" is way too valuable to undersell. If you own Green in a keeper you need to hold onto him unless you can get very good value in return (like a Subban, Yandle, Fowler, Letang, etc.)
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Pro

Thx guys, I will keep Subban and try to maybe package other things !!
    6 teams dynasty pool,points only,no pos. for F, Keep All, 12F, 6D, 2G count.....backup=6F, 4D, 2G, 4 roster moves( 2 at 30th game and 2 at NHL deadline)
    F- , P. Kane,Eichel, DeBrincat, Kopitar, Wheeler, Kuznetsov, Point, Huberdeau, Verhaghe, Bergeron,Keller, Batherson, Schmaltz, W.Nylander, Buchnevich,Rantanen
    D- Makar, Gostisbehere, Carlson, Burns, Barrie, M. Rielly, Hronek, DeAngelo, KA Miller
    G- Vasilevskyi, Sorokin, Campbell, Markstrom
    Farm: Lundell, Guenther, Holtz, Glass, E. Svechnikov, Denisenko, Newhook, Heponiemi, Lauko,Neighbours, Bokk N. Foote, Borgstrom, Dahlen, Bokk, S. Poulin, Zelleweger, Liljegren, Heinola, Perunovich, S. Knight.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by sharpp87 View Post
    Thx guys, I will keep Subban and try to maybe package other things !!
    Honestly, I think the key is trying to find if the Green owner is as frustrated as myself (I know there are lots more out there too). It'd be interesting to see just how lowball of an offer I would take at this point, even though I know (like many other's have suggested) I need to hang on to him in a keeper.

Good luck!
    12 -Team Yahoo, Points Pool, Keeper (Since 1995): G(1), A(1), PPG(1), SHG(1) GWG(1), W(2), SHO(3). Protect 13 each season.

C (4): Hayes, Bonino, White, Bozak
    LW (4): Aho, Huberdeau, K Connor, Gourde
    RW (4): Perry, Boeser, Tuch, Zucker
    F (1):Labanc
    D (4): Barrie, Theodore, Faulk, Shattenkirk
    G (1): Lehner

Bench: (C) Kerfoot, (RW) Silfverberg, (LW) Bertuzzi (D) Q Hughes, R Murray, D'Angelo (G) Demko, Markstrom,

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

My first pick overall 4 years ago...Made me win first year, made me win the second year left me dry ever since. I would keep PK for stability.
    10 team Keepers league 18 man roster (+1 UFA-FCFS)/protect 13. Auto Count top 6 Fwd, 3 def and 1 keeper. Points only(def goals = 2pts). Keepers in Bold

Fwd: N.Backstrom, D.Sedin, C. Perry, E.Malkin, C.Giroux, J.Eberle, J.Drouin, V.Nichushkin, J.Tavares

Def: E.Karlsson, D.Byfuglien???, J.Shultz, M.Streit

Goalies: T.Rask, C.Crawford

Dobber Sports Master

I honestly thought I was going to come into this thread and read the rest of your line:

".... to DIE!"

hahahhaa

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Unless you need the IR slot what's wrong with stashing Green there and forgetting about him for now? Washington clearly is a different team with him in the line-up.

Beyond that, I agree with the original poster, and I'd want him too. What other player that has such potential could you potentially get for a ridiculously low-ball offer?

If I didn't have Green I would be throwing out a serious low-ball offer to see if that was enough to get him. He doesn't come back, so what, it doesn't really cost you anything. If he does you've just hit a home-run for nothing.

I think this injury actually helps him in a way. I hope they shut him down for the season at this point. I rather him come back next year completely healthy, than continuing to try to play through injuries.

He's an extremely low buy-low right now. But if you can get him for an extreme buy-low price, it's those types of moves that can win you championships, but at the same time doesn't really hurt your team if it doesn't pan out.

Don't overpay for him, but throw out a low ball offer and see what happens.
    16 Team 4th Year H2H Yahoo! Keeper League, 2012 Champion
    Keep 8 (Max 1 Goalie) + 2* (23 and under)
    G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SOG,FW,HIT,BLK,W,GAA,SV,SV%
    2LW,3C,2RW,3D,1U,2G,8BN,3IR
    LW Landeskog*, C Tavares*,Getzlaf, RW Ovechkin,Malkin(C),Seguin*(C),D Subban,G Lundqvist, Lehner*
    Draft - 1st,2 2nds, 2 3rds.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I was just offered Mike Green for Pacioretty. I had to take that trade. I'll gladly stash him on my IR.
    5 Year Keeper League
    Year 4

C-Stamkos, Tavares, Stepan
    LW-Benn, Galchenyuk, Silfverberg, Ladd,
    RW-P.Kane, Yakupov
    D-Yandle, Karlsson, J.Schultz, S. Jones
    G-Lundqvist, Ward, Schneider, Bishop
    Stats
    G,A,+/-,PIM,PPG,SHP,GWG,SOG
    W,GAA,SV,SHO,SV%