Thread: NHL Skills Competition Recap

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default NHL Skills Competition Recap

So since there were no games to do a regularly scheduled Studs and Duds, I thought it would be a good idea to recap the Skills Competition. Or Super Skills competition, the jury’s still out on that. Let’s take a look at the night’s events.

Fastest Skater
    Some modifications this year like a backwards turn and tighter corners to make the event more exciting, or less boring. Rookie Carl Hagelin of the New York Rangers and Team Alfredsson wins it with a time of 12.963.

Breakaway Challenge
    The Breakaway Challenge or as I like to call it, the last five minutes of shinny when the game starts deteriorating, was actually fairly entertaining. The highlight came when Corey Perry dropped his gloves and pulled out Nathan Gerbe’s stick to score on Brian Elliott. Patrick Kane won the fan vote and the event for Team Chara.

Best Hockey Hair
    Scott Hartnell edged out Kris Letang and Jamie Benn with his Krusty the Clown like fro.

Accuracy Shooting
    My personal favourite event of the competition was won by Jamie Benn of team Chara. He hit all four targets in just over ten seconds, despite not having an appendix. The Lightning’s Steven Stamkos had a disappointing performance as it took him nearly 45 seconds before he looked like he was going to go Happy Gilmore on the targets. Must have still been upset he didn’t make the top three in the Best Hockey Hair event.

Skills Challenge Relay
    Team Alfredsson’s second group won it with a time of 2.08 and some slick passing accuracy by Daniel Sedin. Team Chara was hurt by Dennis Wideman who suddenly forgot how to raise the puck in the one-timer part of the relay. At one point I thought they were going to break out a calendar to time him.

Hardest Shot
    Shea Weber’s blast of 106mph would have been a new record except for the fact that Zdeno Chara broke his own mark by posting a KHL like bomb of 108.8mph. This record will likely never be broken, well at least not until next year’s Skills Competition.

Player Who Tried Way Too Hard
    Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist wins this by a landslide. The guy was full out poke-checking and in a trance during the Elimination Shoot Out.

Elimination Shoot Out
    Not everyone shot this year as only 11 players from each side went. Blimey! I waited all night to see Dan Girardi on a breakaway! Anyway Steven Stamkos went 3 for 3 and won the event for team Alfredsson. There were actually several nicer goals scored here then in the Breakaway Challenge.

Overall Team Alfredsson beat Team Chara by a score of 21-12, in what can only be described as the greatest upset since Joe Namath and the New York Jets beat the Baltimore Colts in Super Bowl III.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default That's just Hank

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Amato View Post
    Player Who Tried Way Too Hard
    Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist wins this by a landslide. The guy was full out poke-checking and in a trance during the Elimination Shoot Out.
    that's just Hank being Hank. He doesn't even like letting goals in in practice. It's gotten to the point where the team cheers when they score and Hank gets Pissed slapping his stick on the ice and even chopping at his own guys. He's super competitive. Plus, he's one of (if not the best) shootout goalies is the world and wants to prove it vs the best.

I knew Hags was gonna take fastest, he can flat out fly. I like the old format better though, so we could compare to the past; plus you can carry more speed through the turns. I wanted to see if he was faster than Grabner last year too.

My mouth hit the floor on Z's 108.8; I still cant believe it. Time to get a Warrior stick. Bet Ottawa feels stupid for keeping Wade dRedden over Z now. Poor Webber, breaks the old record, but still not good enough.
    11 Team 1yr. daily update Yahoo Roto League (drafted 6th)
    Roster: 2C, 2L, 2R, 4D, 1U, 2G, 10 B, 1IR (NO max games played)
    Stats: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, BS, W, GAA, SV%, SHO

C: J. Thornton, N. Backstrom, P. Stastny, D. Desharnais, Z. Konopka
    L: J. Benn (C/L), Jo. Staal (C/L), D. Perron (C/L), S. Kostitsyn, A. McDonald (C/L), B. Prust
    R: M. St.Louis, B. wheeler, J. Voracek, T. Purcell
    D: S. Weber, A. Goligoski, J. Carlson, D. Seidenberg, J. Gorges
    G: J. Quick, M. Smith, J. Hiller
    IR: --

Dobber Sports Ninja

I agreed to taking team Alfredsson in the drinking game as long as my buddy's gave me 2:1 odds on each shot.

big mistake....effing Chara making Weber look pedestrian lol.

Was really impressed with D.Sedin's ability to hit the passes...they were more like snipes into the pockets lol. ridiculous.

And Corey Perry's ministick breakaway was absolutely key. Favourite moment of the night, the stare made the shot.

Also big ups to Carey Price who was absolutely hysterical the entire night. Great time.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Maybe its just me, but I think Ryan Johansen's goal (where he dragged the puck under his skate to his stick) and Sean Couturier's goal (the spinorama) deserved more attention. I also thought it was great to get Carey Price miked up, fantastic idea by CBC. The best play by far IMO of the whole skills competition was Jonathan Quick's disgusting save on Joffrey Lupul. Every one of Stamkos' goals in the elimination shootout we're absolutely amazing, damn that kid is good.
    Last edited by dmvincent; January 29, 2012 at 3:23 PM.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."