Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Karlsson or Letang

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by BladesOfSteel View Post
    At this point I'm not sure Letang is worthy of washing Karlsson's jockstrap after practice. To me there is no fantasy d-man as valuable as Karlsson right now and I dont see that changing anytime soon.
    I like Karlsson as much as the next guy, but that statement is a bit much. Letang is a very high-end talent and the only reason he isn't right up there with Karlsson right now is due to his injury. Heck, since he has returned from his injury he has picked up right where he left off.

I fully expect Karlsson and Letang to both be in the top 5 scoring among dmen for years to come.

I'm not saying you are wrong to like Karlsson more than Letang, but to suggest that Letang is that far off from Karlsson is totally unjustified.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I like Karlsson as much as the next guy, but that statement is a bit much. Letang is a very high-end talent and the only reason he isn't right up there with Karlsson right now is due to his injury. Heck, since he has returned from his injury he has picked up right where he left off.

I fully expect Karlsson and Letang to both be in the top 5 scoring among dmen for years to come.

I'm not saying you are wrong to like Karlsson more than Letang, but to suggest that Letang is that far off from Karlsson is totally unjustified.
    I agree completely!
    Team 1:
    10 Team Keeper, keep 16.
    Cat: +/-, PIMs, G, A, Pts, STG (PPG+SHG), GAA, SPct, W
    Roto, No Max games, weekly lineups - 12F, 6D, 4G - 6 bench

F: Benn, Bennett, Crosby, Hughes, Keller, Kopitar, Lindolm, Perron, Schmalts, Stephenson, Tavares, Thompson
    Bench - Lafreniere, Roslovic, Schenn

D: Chabot, Dahlin, Josi, Hronek, Morrissey, Schenn
    Bench - Sandin

G: F. Copley, Gustavsson, Skinner, Sorokin
    Bench: Merzlikins, Petersen, Andersen (IR)

Dobber Sports Pro

Green over both!

Kidding aside, if Letang didn't have a concussion history I'd pick him. He also has high-end upside just like Karlsson, but I believe he has better teammates that can push him over the top, and as long as 1 of Malkin or Crosby are playing I'll take him over Karlsson, and if both are playing, well then that's just scary.

But, Letang does have a concussion history, and his teammates aren't necessarily iron men by no stretch - so you have to temper expectations because of that. Therefore, I'd go with Karlsson and avoid peeing yourself every time you see Letang take a hit.

Healthy Karlsson vs healthy Letang (with a healthy Crosby+Malkin) = favour Letang by about 5-7 points.

But, too many variables involved there, and over a 25 week fantasy season those extra 5 points just aren't worth the injury history.

Hope this helps!
    12 teams h-to-h partial keeper league. Daily line-up changes.
    End of the year u keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G
    Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FW, W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    Lineup: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G, 5Bench, 2IR

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by PocketRockets05 View Post
    Green over both!

Kidding aside, if Letang didn't have a concussion history I'd pick him. He also has high-end upside just like Karlsson, but I believe he has better teammates that can push him over the top, and as long as 1 of Malkin or Crosby are playing I'll take him over Karlsson, and if both are playing, well then that's just scary.

But, Letang does have a concussion history, and his teammates aren't necessarily iron men by no stretch - so you have to temper expectations because of that. Therefore, I'd go with Karlsson and avoid peeing yourself every time you see Letang take a hit.

Healthy Karlsson vs healthy Letang (with a healthy Crosby+Malkin) = favour Letang by about 5-7 points.

But, too many variables involved there, and over a 25 week fantasy season those extra 5 points just aren't worth the injury history.

Hope this helps!
    See that's what I've been going over. But last year when Letang was red hot and all the stars aligned perfectly, he was scoring at a 65-68 point pace. Then, once 71 and 87 went down, Letang was scoring at a 24 point pace. Moral of the story, Letang's elite status hinges on his teammates. Karlsson is the engine that drives the Sens and is scoring at a 75 point pace now - when the Sens improve, I think he could actually hit 75 one day. Letang is a damn good producer in his own right but I don't think he's as offensively gifted as Karlsson and I'll take the kid that can do it himself.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Administrator

I can honestly say I don't know the answer here. I own Letang in one league and wouldn't trade him for Karlsson. I own Karlsson in another and wouldn't trade him for Letang.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I can honestly say I don't know the answer here. I own Letang in one league and wouldn't trade him for Karlsson. I own Karlsson in another and wouldn't trade him for Letang.
    LOL. Well, at least whichever one ends up having the better career you'll own him!
    Last edited by PocketRockets05; January 20, 2012 at 10:49 PM.
    12 teams h-to-h partial keeper league. Daily line-up changes.
    End of the year u keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G
    Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FW, W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    Lineup: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G, 5Bench, 2IR

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    That's another good point (and I see myself in these dilemmas as well) - if it's so close, it's almost the kiss of death to make the move...because you know the second you do it the player you acquire is going down with an injury or getting cold. #superstitious.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Well, guess who's my fav player (Avatar)...

Letang is IMO the best D in the world and also in Fantasy Hockey.
    Your league counts Hits and Blocked Shots? Even Better!
    Yahoo - 8 Teams - Dynasty League
    (G,A,SOG,HIT,BS,+/-,W,GAA,SV%,SO)

F: Crosby | Malkin | Ovechkin | Giroux | Toews | Perry | Bergeron | Kovalchuk (IR) | Duchene | Benn | Backes | Callahan | Landeskog | E. Staal | J. Staal | Galchenyuk | Gallagher | Silfverberg | Doan
    D: Letang (IR) | Seabrook | Keith | Girardi | Green | Ehrhoff | Ellis | Kulikov | Trouba | Beaulieu | Spurgeon | M. Staal (IR) |
    G: Lundqvist | Fleury

2006: 9th | 2007: 5th | 2008: 5th | 2009: 2nd | 2010: 1st | 2011: 1st |

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Agreed completely!
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Ace

With Letang now back a few games, I change my answer to Letang. Seeing his confidence with the puck gives a fantasy boner. He'll dangle a guy at the blueline, risking being poked for a breakaway, but he (and now I) know that isn't going to happen.

Karlsson: 0.94 ppg playing on a Healthy and Overacheiving Sens team.
    Letang: 0.92 ppg playing on an unhealthy and underacheiving Pens team.

I'll take the guy that isn't already playing at his ceiling.

I'll also assume the Pens have learned a thing or two about handling concussions. Letang was NOT rushed back, and that should help the long term outlook.
    Once Crosby comes back (next year), we should enjoy > 1.0ppg from Letang. Letang is talented in his own right, but to have the opportunity to play with the best 2 hockey talents in the world (Crosby/Malkin - I think we can say that now) pushes him above Karlsson.

edit: I think my change in heart is a great demonstration of how you can use injuries to buy low. I wanted the healthy Karlsson before, and now 3 games of Letang put him back on top in my eyes. In a league were I own letang, i got an offer recently. Easy reject. Told him he should've tried before he returned from injury and posted a 4 points in 3 games.
    Last edited by duducks; January 23, 2012 at 1:21 PM.
    Weekly H2H
    G / A / P / +- / PowerPlayPoints / Shots / Goalie Wins / GAA / Save%