Thread: Wow how bad are the Thrashers

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Wow how bad are the Thrashers

After dealing away Hossa they were said to be not out of the race for the playoffs. After tonight and only putting on 6 shots after 2 periods is just pathetic. AO has more shots than the entire Atlanta team. By the way 1 of those 6 shots went in. Gez Kolzig is as bad as Osgood can\'t even get the freebie shutouts
    C- TAVARES, Wennberg , Thornton, Monahan
    LW- Ehlers, JvR , Landeskog, Fabbri
    RW- KANE, TARASENKO, Pastrnak, Atkinson
    D- Schultz, Werenski, Krug, KARLSSON
    G- PRICE, Fleury, Helly, Crawford, Howard, Mrazek, Darling
    Bench- Bergeron, Marner

9 Team Keeper League Keep 5 any position with a max of 1 goalie
    G(+10) A(+5) +/-(1) GWG(+5) PPG(+2.5) SHG(+5) W(+15) L(-5) SO(+20) (+.5)PIM

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I think they have 6 shots through 2 periods, but your point stands. Both Ovechkin and Green have 6 shots to their credit. How bad things must be when an opposing defenceman is out-shooting your entire team.

Dobber Sports Expert

Raises concerns about Kovalchuk. Truly great players thrive in those situations, rise above their team\'s awfulness and are visible against the bleakness. Kovalchuk seems to be swallowed by his team\'s misery, making me question his true value. Sure, he is a lock for 85 points on any given year, but is he a superstar? Casn he produce 100 points on a lousy team (like Ovechkin did)?
    13 team Keeper, top 8F, 4D and 2G count. 1pt G/A, 2pt W/SO.
    Protect up to 500 points in a full season
    (K) denotes keeper

Keepers:

F: Draisaitl, Thompson, Thomas, Zuccarello, Konecny, Marchessault Ehlers, O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Perron, Coronato, Seguin, Atkinson, Rossi, Michkov
    D: Q Fox, Sergachev, Dobson, York, Hutson
    G: Vasilevsky, Jarry, Levi

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Seeds of Grapes wrote:
    Raises concerns about Kovalchuk. Truly great players thrive in those situations, rise above their team\'s awfulness and are visible against the bleakness. Kovalchuk seems to be swallowed by his team\'s misery, making me question his true value. Sure, he is a lock for 85 points on any given year, but is he a superstar? Casn he produce 100 points on a lousy team (like Ovechkin did)?
    I just think he needs a decent centerman and he could be a 50 goal 85-90 point guy every year. I dont really see a 100 point campaign in his future. Kozlov is old, Savard is gone, Hossa is gone....his entire support is gone.

Ovechkin is a superbeast who commands the puck, Kovy needs a guy like Savard to feed it to him in my opinion. That being said, i\'d still love to have him on my team.

Dobber Sports Expert

Kovie was always touted as a top seven player. He is also only 25. He already had a 100 point season (or was it high 90s?).

Having said all that, you may be right, NYR9394. I just do not know if I am as convinced of it as you. A truly great player would still thrive in Atlanta. Also, Kovie got quite a few of his points this year with Hossa on the bench.
    13 team Keeper, top 8F, 4D and 2G count. 1pt G/A, 2pt W/SO.
    Protect up to 500 points in a full season
    (K) denotes keeper

Keepers:

F: Draisaitl, Thompson, Thomas, Zuccarello, Konecny, Marchessault Ehlers, O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Perron, Coronato, Seguin, Atkinson, Rossi, Michkov
    D: Q Fox, Sergachev, Dobson, York, Hutson
    G: Vasilevsky, Jarry, Levi

Dobber Sports Expert

How can you say Kovalchuk is \'swallowed by his team\'s misery\' when 2 games ago he had a hat trick in a 4 point night against Calgary, a game Atlanta won, by the way. He pretty much singlehandedly put the team on his back.

He has 10 points in his last 10 games.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Seeds of Grapes wrote:
    Kovie was always touted as a top seven player. He is also only 25. He already had a 100 point season (or was it high 90s?).

Having said all that, you may be right, NYR9394. I just do not know if I am as convinced of it as you. A truly great player would still thrive in Atlanta. Also, Kovie got quite a few of his points this year with Hossa on the bench.
    He did hit 98 two seasons ago....awfully close to 100 i will say. Dont forget, that was with a top 3 passer on his team. It\'s much easier when you have a guy like that creating space and opportunities for you.

I also hear ya that he didnt play with Hossa very much, but Hossa did take some of the pressure off him and opened up the game for him. Everybody who played them had 2 or even 3 stars to contend with, now it\'s just Kovalchuk. It\'s not as easy to carry a team as Ovechkin made it look before he got some help. :laugh:

In terms of talent i believe he\'s still a superstar, i just dont think he has the capability to carry a team. If that takes him out of superstar status, then i\'d have no problem taking him out. I just think he\'s a victim of 2 very good players leaving.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Where was this thread when the Canucks were held to 10 shots for an entire game by the Blackhawks? My point being teams have bad games, and being held to 6 over 2 periods happens. And if you compare 6 over 2 periods in this case to the Canucks example I would suggest that isn\'t nearly as bad. While I enjoy ragging on the Canucks that isnt the point of my post, all I am saying is give them more than 1 game.

Dobber Sports Expert

I completely agree.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

big_dl wrote:
    Where was this thread when the Canucks were held to 10 shots for an entire game by the Blackhawks? My point being teams have bad games, and being held to 6 over 2 periods happens. And if you compare 6 over 2 periods in this case to the Canucks example I would suggest that isn\'t nearly as bad. While I enjoy ragging on the Canucks that isnt the point of my post, all I am saying is give them more than 1 game.
    The Thrashers have been pretty bad since the trade deadline and that was a while ago. Two wins in there last thirteen games. They\'ve had more than a game to right the ship, they just suck.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I think Kovalchuck\'s the real deal. He does suffer from the lack of a supporting cast. Partucularly on the power play.

It can\'t be easy watching good players like Hossa, Tkachuk, Savard, Heatley etc. pass through, and move on to greener pastures.

I think Waddell got a really good return for Hossa this season, but all in all; he\'s done a pretty crappy job of building a team around the franchise player he has there.
    CBS 8 team keeper(5-8) - Points only

C: Tavares, Duchesne, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins
    LW: Parise, Benn, Neal
    RW: Kessel, Giroux, Stewart
    D: Green,Karlson, Carlson, Whitney, Edler, White
    G: Rinne, Lundqvist
    2LW,2C,2RW,4D,1G pts.= G=2, PPG=3, SH=5, A=1, W=3, S=.2, GA=-1, SO=4,

(Tired of watching today's trophys pass you buy? Waiting for a tomorrow that may never come? Why not win NOW? ...Ask about our "Pre-owned vets for prospects" program, and start winning TODAY!)