Thread: Horcoff + Zherdev for 1st overall pk in \'08 + Rask

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Horcoff + Zherdev for 1st overall pk in \'08 + Rask

I wanted to make a move to get the first overall pick and draft either Stamkos or Doughty, and I was wondering, based on my current team\'s situation (in the sig) if the following deal would be wise or not. This deal was proposed by the team holding the first overall draft choice -- he\'s gonna have it for sure as we already held our draft lottery.

I would give up Horcoff and Zherdev for the first overall pick in 2008 (Stamkos? Doughty? someone else?) and Tuuka Rask.

Horcoff was on pace for a career year and Zherdev is a very good young forward in a restricting situation, but Stamkos and Doughty might be the special kind of talent that is impossible to say no to. Rask looks to be a pretty solid piece for the future as well.
    10-team dynasty H2H(12F-6D-2G) -- Gls, Asts 1 pt each, goalie win 1.5 pts, SO 2 pts.

F: Antropov, Berglund, Brown, Connolly B., Dalpe, Datsyuk, Dumont, Eller, Frolik, Gaborik, Huselius, Koivu M., Marleau, Mueller, Neal, Pavelski, Sedin H., Stepan, Zajac

D: Boyle, Jovanovski, Letang, McBain, Robidas, Russel, Seidenberg, Shattenkirk, Visnovsky, Wideman,

G: Kiprusoff, Neuvirth, Rinne, Smith M.

Dobber Sports Padawan

this is a steal! you should not have wasted your time asking us. Pull the trigger already. Horcoff is a 70 point player at best, Zherdev if all the stars align is a 90 point player. Stamkos is likely 100 / Doughty\'s a 60 point d-man. Add to that the future starter in Boston (have the poured the oil on his head yet?) and my math makes that a huge win for you.

Dobber Sports Padawan

agree make the deal before the other GM wakes up
    C- TAVARES, Wennberg , Thornton, Monahan
    LW- Ehlers, JvR , Landeskog, Fabbri
    RW- KANE, TARASENKO, Pastrnak, Atkinson
    D- Schultz, Werenski, Krug, KARLSSON
    G- PRICE, Fleury, Helly, Crawford, Howard, Mrazek, Darling
    Bench- Bergeron, Marner

9 Team Keeper League Keep 5 any position with a max of 1 goalie
    G(+10) A(+5) +/-(1) GWG(+5) PPG(+2.5) SHG(+5) W(+15) L(-5) SO(+20) (+.5)PIM

typo88

do the deal

Dobber Sports Pro

Not so fast. Zherdev is still on the upswing and Horcoff is at least a legit NHLer with some upside and has 50 points in 53 games with a Sucky Oil team. Scouts are not even totally sold on Stamkos as the #1 overall pick and any of 3-4 DMen could go before him. Like Stephen Weiss? Might be what you are getting with Stamkos.

Stamkos is \"Likely 100 Point Player\" LOL
    SEVEN TOTAL 100 point players in the NHL last year.
    You think he looks anything like:
    Crosby, Thornton, Lecavalier, Heater, StLouis, Hossa or Sakic?

And how long before Doughty is EVEN USEFUL? JJ was drafted THREE years ago and his numbers stink still. EJ is coming along but is not close to being impact. Want to wait till Doughty hits 26-27 and puts up numbers. He is NO PHANEUF. Dont Believe The Hype.....
    6Team/Points Only H2H Keep: 37+3goalies Start: 13F/6D/2G
    FWD = G(2), A(1), PP/SH(+1), GW(+2), SHOG(1)
    DEF = G(3), A(2), PP/SH(+1), GW(+2), SHOG(1)
    GOAL = W(3), OTL(1), SO(+2), SV(.10)

FOR: Malkin Ovechkin Kessel Stepan Gaborik Zetterberg Carter Vanek Pacioretty Duchene Skinner Lupul Hornqvist Perron Semin Okposo Byfuglien Granlund Bennett Strome Bjugstad Nichushkin Yakupov Galchenyuk Grigorenko Kuznetsov Kucherov Etem Burakovsky
    D: Letang Goligoski Kronwall Voynov JustinSchultz Hedman RyanMurphy AdamLarsson Pulock Sproul
    G: Lundqvist Lehtonen Schneider

Dobber Sports Ninja

I\'m with TianTinytonythetiger here.

In Horcoff you\'re getting a guy who is guaranteed to put up points and Zherdev looks like he might have finally broken out of his funk.

It\'s always a gamble in the drafts. You\'re basically taking a risk on whoever you pick up and you\'re also hoping that Rask does indeed become the man in Boston (all signs point to that)

This seems to be one of those classic deals.

Do you play it safe and stick with the guys who are guaranteed to put up some decent points, or do you take a hit now and hope like heck in a few years your team could be overall a lot better.

You a gambler?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Yeah, its pretty hard to differentiate between hype and potential, but from what I\'ve seen of Stamkos and Doughty, they do appear to be pretty capable players at the junior level. But you never really know how thats gonna translate to the NHL until they play with the big boys.

There\'s a two month trade freeze anyways, so the guy\'s probably gonna get more offers for the #1 overall pick, and I\'m pretty happy with my team as it is.

But then again, no one\'s ever won a keeper league without taking a big gamble ...
    10-team dynasty H2H(12F-6D-2G) -- Gls, Asts 1 pt each, goalie win 1.5 pts, SO 2 pts.

F: Antropov, Berglund, Brown, Connolly B., Dalpe, Datsyuk, Dumont, Eller, Frolik, Gaborik, Huselius, Koivu M., Marleau, Mueller, Neal, Pavelski, Sedin H., Stepan, Zajac

D: Boyle, Jovanovski, Letang, McBain, Robidas, Russel, Seidenberg, Shattenkirk, Visnovsky, Wideman,

G: Kiprusoff, Neuvirth, Rinne, Smith M.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I agree with doulos. This isn\'t as clear as cut to me as it may seen for others. Brule was someone that was taken really high in my draft and look at him now. However, lately, it\'s been pretty surprising. You got Toews and Backstrom looking good. Now you got Kane doing well. Kina makes Stamkos too tempting.

Is this a dynasty league where you keep all you guys?

Dobber Sports Stud

Personally, I would do the deal. I do not disagree with the comments made about Horcoff and Zherdev. I think you will see a bit more from Horcoff and you could see a lot more from Zherdev.

I like taking chances. Stamkos is the best forward available in the draft. I don\'t think it would be unreasonable to have expectations of him similar to Spezza.

Rask is perceived to be the future goaltender of Boston.

You are getting two potential stars.

Again, I do the deal simply because it is not unreasonable and I like to take chances.

Dobber Sports Guru

two potential stars for two 70 point guys? i would do it. horcoff\'s days on etown\'s topline are numbered. he keeps exceeding expectations, but that can\'t go on forever. zherdev to me will end up being a lot like afinogenov... maddening potential and brilliant displays of skill, but not consistent fantasy-wise.

even if stamkos makes it into high-80s territory, you\'ve won this deal.