Thread: McDonagh or Dougie Hamilton?

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default McDonagh or Dougie Hamilton?

Hello

Interested in some expert opinions about the long term potential of Ryan McDonagh versus Dougie Hamilton?

McDonagh seems to be developing quite nicely this year with just under 0.5 ppg. Do you think this will continue? Has it been opportunistic as a result of some injuries?

Hamilton is ripping apart the OHL... how well will his game translate to the NHL? How far away do you think he is?

Important to note... when thinking about potential... I'm in a yahoo league with G, A, +/-, PIMS, Hits, Blocks and PPP as categories.

Much appreciated.

Geekay

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Hamilton and it's not even close.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Hamilton no brainer.
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2

Dobber Sports Ninja

Agreed, especially with Hits and Blks as categories. Hamilton is projected to be a multi-cat monster, and if I'm not mistaken I think he is expected to possibly make the jump next season, and he was close to making the jump even this season.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Deity

While its true that Hamilton looks like a solid prospect, until he gets here and proves he can do it in the bigs, he is just that, a prospect. McDonagh is getting major icetime (avg 25 minutes per game) at all times of the game and showing that Montreal made a huge mistake in trading him away for Gomez. He blocks a lot of shots, isnt afraid to hit and has a +11 on the season so far. He isnt a penalty threat, but thats no biggie. McDonagh is the real deal in the NHL. I am not saying Hamilton wont be a star in the league, but until he gets there and proves he can do it night in and night out, I like what I see from McDonagh, who is proving that he can.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Newbie

Interesting feedback so far...

Hamilton's potential seems to be higher end but McDonagh is doing it now. We all know that some high end prospects never seem to be able to make the transition to the NHL.

How much risk do folks think there is with Hamilton making the jump? Feels like the Bruins defense are lacking an offensive force outside of the the giant...

Thoughts?

Btw... I don't have any rep to dish out but appreciate the insight.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Hamilton is one of the most low-risk prospects you can get your hands on. Ryan Murphy is a high-risk prospect. This is a non-starter discussion as far as I'm concerned. It's like saying "well, yeah, Tom Gilbert is doing it now" but in one year's time Hamilton's value will have dwarfed the other guy's so much that it's not even funny.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by sentium View Post
    Hamilton is one of the most low-risk prospects you can get your hands on. Ryan Murphy is a high-risk prospect. This is a non-starter discussion as far as I'm concerned. It's like saying "well, yeah, Tom Gilbert is doing it now" but in one year's time Hamilton's value will have dwarfed the other guy's so much that it's not even funny.
    Sentium nailed it.

Hamilton without a thought.

Dobber Sports Expert

They are not in the same universe talentwise... Dougie without a doubt and i really like what i see from McDonagh.
    Commish of UNFFHL, dangered species being the sole Panthers fan on Dobber.

Dobber Sports Sage

Hamilton is probably my 2nd favorite defense man in or out of the NHL under 22. He is going to be a stud in my estimations.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by sentium View Post
    While I am not argueing that Hamilton will be a stud in the future, I will say it will take a good 3 years before we will see it. Very few Dmen step into the NHL as a rookie and dominate and to say he will "dwarf" what someone else is doing now in one years time, is a little premature. Lets not forget how Julien treated Seguin with kid gloves his first year in the bigs. I expect he will treat Hamilton the same way. Give Hamilton 3 years in the bigs and then this conversation will probably be a lot different. But then again, in 3 years time, McDonagh will have matured into a solid 2 way Dman that most would envy to have on their team as well.

Dont get me wrong, I am not saying Hamilton wont be a star, I just dont see it happening as quickly as others here I guess. All I am saying is McDonagh has blossomed nicely now, and will only continue to grow as a player. Hamilton has a ways to go before he reaches his potential in the NHL.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

"Teach my how to Dougie." Hamilton all day.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury