Thread: Chicago shopping the first overall pick.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Chicago shopping the first overall pick.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/chi070614.html

As a Canuck fan..

I wouldn\'t be surprised to see the Canucks sniffing around.

They could package an including some of:

their picks (25 and 33)
    Schneider
    Morrison
    Bourdon

etc.

Sure every year there is some hometown guy that a team *should trade up to get (read: Gilbert Brule in 2005), but there have been multiple rumors that the Canucks are heavy on the Kyle Turris wagon.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re:Chicago shopping the first overall pick.

Now that\'s intriguing. I wouldn\'t mind moving up for the chance, just so long as they don\'t give up too much. I hadn\'t heard the Vancouver angle before, thanks Angus.
    [SIZE=1]WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.5), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Saanichton Cougars

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Vancouver and the LA Kings are the two teams that have been following Turris the most. Lombardi even flew out a few times to watch him play.

There is something to this rumor.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Angus
    You missed the dogs.. they were seen wining and dining Kyle a couple of months ago. Edm sniffed around him too.
    Yahoo Keeper Team - STD Cats
    C- Thornton, Backstrom, Kesler, Turris, Savard
    L- Vanek, Burrows, Hartnell, Lucic , Leino
    R- Brown, Pavelski, Ericksson, Holmstrom, Little
    D- Chara, Rafalski, Weber, Edler, Letang, Bieksa,
    G- H. Lundqvist, Miller, Rinne,

Prospects- Bowmman CAR, Glennie DAL, LeBlanc MTL, Ferraro DET, Tangradi PIT, Yip COL, Kuznetsov WAS, Neuvirth WAS

League Champion 07, 08, 09,

Dobber Sports Apprentice

It would have been different if Brian Burke was still the GM. He would have pulled a good and smart one to get the draft pick.
    QHL Stanley Cup champion 2006-07, 2007-08, 2008-09
    www.thephysicsofhockey.com

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

just like Burke landed the big goalie for us?

Sure Burke is fresh off a cup victory, but after 2002 he did absolutely nothing to improve the Canucks. Sold off draft picks and young assets for deadline pickups (Rucinsky, Sanderson, Brad May), and dicked us around with the goaltending situation (Cloutier, Brochu, Hedberg, Skudra, Irbe, Weekes, Essensa, Snow, the list goes on).

He was a good GM turning a bad team into a solid one, but I have much more confidence with Nonis running things then I ever did with Burkie.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I read your post this morning, Angus, and when I got to work one of the guys asked me if I\'d heard any rumours about the Canucks making a draft day deal. I told him as a matter of fact I had, but asked him what he had heard. Very similar, turns out.

He heard it could be any combination of Ohlund, Bourdon, Morrison, and/or Schneider to Philadelphia for Simon Gagne and an exchange of 1st rounder picks. (I would like to think that would be the 25th for the 2nd, and not for the 23rd.)

Ohlund had an off year at both ends of the ice, so I\'m wondering if it was just a blip, or the beginning of a trend. I could see him go. I can also see Bourdon go. We have solid D, but lack offense. I can\'t see them getting rid of Morrison because it\'s not like we are deep at center. Even with Luongo here, I don\'t like the idea of losing Schneider. Who knows what will happen to Luongo in the future? Having Schneider, and bringing him along slowly for several years, is better than... well, let\'s just say it\'s better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Stud

Screaming Jawa wrote:
    He heard it could be any combination of Ohlund, Bourdon, Morrison, and/or Schneider to Philadelphia for Simon Gagne and an exchange of 1st rounder picks. (I would like to think that would be the 25th for the 2nd, and not for the 23rd.)
    Doesn\'t make much sense to me. Why would Philly do that? Morrison\'s over the hill, Ohlund\'s good but not that good anymore, and Bourdon & Schneider are great prospects but not nearly of the caliber to merit Gagne in return, let alone Gagne and the 5th overall pick (with which Philly could very possibly attain Alzner anyway).

Post edited by: Thieving Giraffe, at: 2007/06/15 23:44
    T.G.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Im right with yea on Schiender...

Loungo wanted outta Florida because They were not gonna re-sign McLennen (which they didn\'t)... its not only that but it was put him over the top...

If you\'ll look back Roberto was screaming for a forward to come into the organization... next week or 2, McLennen was left to walk and Roberto started attacking in the media over not haveing McLennen and wanted out...

Basic reasons were because he didnt wanna have a competion for his 75+ games...

Vancouver agreed to the deal on the basis Flarety was to stay in Vancouver (which is why Flarety was sent to Manitoba and Dany Sabourin was brough in) Sabourin had a HUGE AHL year.... but really is not a sound goalie that will compete... (Drew McIntiyre same as Sabourin)

If Schnieder gets a hint of the NHL and does reasonably well... Look for Loungo complaints to start... he\'s one of the best... But instead of the Brodure mantality to help with everyone, Loungo prefers to be left to his own... McLennen was never a threat to steal Starters jobs and he\'s cheap... thats the main reason he\'s well liked and in the NHL... which is good for him, teams and other players... but Loungo\'s attitude is in left field, altho he does well with it...
    Current Roster:

F: H Sedin, Plekanec, Perry, Cammalleri, Oshie, Stepan, Anisimov, Kunitz, Justin Williams, Little, Baertchi, Huberdeau, Eberle, Rattie, Hoffman, Holland, Horvat, Dano, Dal Colle, Kerdiles

D: Boumeester, Green, Carlson, Del Zotto, Myers, Alzner, M Staal, Pouliot, Gormley, Mueller

G: Varlamov, Mrazek, Niemi, Vasilevski, Ramo, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Stud

I consider that there is only one real prospect in the Vancouver system at the present time. That is Schneider. He has indicated that he will make a decision in the next week, whether to return to college or not. He is likely wanting to see what the Canucks are going to do with his rights. If Schneider is not moved now, and he returns to college, the possibility exists that he could refuse to sign. The Canucks could lose a very good asset with no return. There are likely several teams that would love to have Schneider and offer some potential for trade.

I agree with trading Schneider.

I wouldn\'t hesitate to include Bourdon as well. His development has been very inconsistant.

With all of the \'rumored\' Ohlund trade talk, I wonder if he hasn\'t talked about returning to Sweden, to live, sooner than later. He has had so many significant injuries that maybe he considers that if he is to finish his career in the homeland, that the time is fast approaching. Maybe there is a pact between he, Naslund and Forsberg.