Thread: Richards vs Alfredsson

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Richards vs Alfredsson

In a long term salary capped keeper league. Points only, goalie sv% and wins count as points. I had serious discussions today on trading my Mike Richards for Daniel Alfredsson. I realize that I would have to add parts on my end as even I don\'t think that Richards is equal to Alf. We fell apart coming to an agreement on the extras.

I was willing to part with Maxim Mayorov and a 1st round free agent pick (2 yearly drafts, 1 for 2008 draft picks, 1 for all players not currently held by any team) Free agent picks are mainly for undrafted prospects as this is a DEEP league.

He wanted the pick plus Andrei Kostitsyn. I couldn\'t make that trade as I need Kosty Jr\'s rookie points.

Am I a chicken for not making that deal? I am 30 points out of first place, 15 up on the guy chasing me down for second. I picked up Briere yesterday, which will hurt my cap situation, and adding Alfredsson won\'t help that for next year, but I also felt like I would be giving up too much young potential for what would only be a 3 or 4 year player.

Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Expert

Without knowing a few more specifics of your league...are there positional requirements for F...how close to your cap are you...here\'s an initial take.

Giving up M. Richards, A. Kostitsyn and a pick seems a lot to give up for D. Alfredsson. Having said that, I think you\'re still getting the single best player in the deal. If you think this gives you a chance to win without completely paralyzing your ability to maneuver next year [cap wise], I think it\'s worth doing.

I would suggest you shouldn\'t need to add a pick as you\'re already giving up two high end youngsters who are already NHL ready. Certainly downgrade the pick at least. See what others say though.

Cheers.
    10 Team [keep 10 + 4 prospects]
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Keith, Goligoski, Carlson, Krug, Trouba, Streit, Pouliot, Ceci, Nurse, Martinez
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Rookie

Thanks for the input, some more details. 16 team league. We dress 9 vet and 3 rookie forwards. I currently have both Sedins, Koivu, Kovalev, Kovalchuk, Briere, Cullen, Avery and Ryan Shannon dressed. (Lupul and M. Richards are out with injury). I have both Kostitsyn\'s and J. Hlinka dressed as rookie forwards. I\'m over cap by 3.5 million dollars next year after swinging a deal for Briere.

You\'ve basically confirmed what my gut was telling me, that Richards and A. Kostitsyn was too much youth to give up for Alfredsson. I may be able to catch 1st place with Briere added to the lineup and if Kovalchuk can come out of this slump.

Much appreciated, thanks for the input!

Dobber Sports Master

I\'ll repay the favor of you response to my trade.

AK and Richards is too much to pay for Alffy. Alffy\'s numbers were a bit inflated this season IMO due to the injuries to Spezza and Heatley. He is the best player in the deal but not worth the price your paying.

I\'m not familiar with cap pools so I\'m afraid I can\'t be of more help. I would look elsewhere and wait until Richards heats up on Dallas and get more value for him.
    30 GM Commish Dynasty
    G A +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV
    Start: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Utl, 1G
    C:Savard,Filpulla,Arnott,Ott,Boyd,Weight,Rupp
    LW:Heatley,Morrow,Sullivan,Tambellini,Bissonnette, Pierro-Zabotel
    RW: Hemsky,Backes,Orr,Tikhonov,Artyukhin,Ortmeyer
    D:EJ,Ehrhoff,Hjalmarsson,Babchuk,Commodore
    G: M.A.Fleury,Deslauriers,Koskinen,Monnino