Thread: Wideman or Ian White?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Wideman or Ian White?

I have Wideman but White is avaliable on waiver wire. My thought is that White is playing with Lidstrom where Wideman is not getting much PP time but I see White is getting tons.

Worth the waiver wire pick up? or not enough difference by the end of the year to worry much about it?

I am leaning towards White but as most everyone on here, just would like to get other thoughts!

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by kluzo View Post
    I have Wideman but White is avaliable on waiver wire. My thought is that White is playing with Lidstrom where Wideman is not getting much PP time but I see White is getting tons.

Worth the waiver wire pick up? or not enough difference by the end of the year to worry much about it?

I am leaning towards White but as most everyone on here, just would like to get other thoughts!
    Yes I would definitely grab White. He will get lots of PP time and better overall numbers.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I agree with Shake. Inexplicably, i've watched alot of the Wings so far this season and I can see him putting together a nice season. He's getting a fair chance on the PP and I think that he would be even better if Kronwall goes down with injury. (which isn't out of the realm of possibility)

Dobber Sports Veteran

White, without hesitation for me.
    Keeper league (12 teams) - keep 6 (+ NHL team is auto keep)
    Weekly lineup: 1T, 9F, 4D, 1G
    Points only:
    Forwards & Dmen: goal (1), assist (1)
    Goalies: win (2), otl/sol (1), shutout (2)
    Team: win (2), otl/sol (1)
    Only 2 FA pickups for the season (remaining: 0)

[T] Edmonton
    [F] Panarin, Pettersson, Bedard
    [D] Heiskanen, Theodore, Dobson
    [G]

Dobber Sports Master

Hmn....good thread as I was just asking myself the same question. I went with White as I see him as a better replacement for Rafalski than is Kronwall.....With Wideman, things are getting crowded in WSH....especially bc of Carlson's play and their need to give Green lots of time and plus OV plays the pt....Tough...

Hope I'm right!
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Pro

White for me as well. More opportunity to produce in Detroit due to Washington's crowded blue line. Good luck!
    12 teams h-to-h partial keeper league. Daily line-up changes.
    End of the year u keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G
    Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FW, W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    Lineup: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G, 5Bench, 2IR

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I'll take Ian White.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Call me crazy, but I'd keep Wideman over White.

They are in similar situations but I think Wideman's is a little more favourable. The 75% of the time WAS is not rolling with 4 forwards on their PP, Wideman is on the top unit (Carlsson is not playing on the PP at all).

In Detroit, looks like White is splitting time with Kronwall on the PP.

It's not a huge difference, but I'd say Wideman because of his pedigree and also because he's on a team that will score a lot more goals in general.

I've seen White personally quite a bit from his days as a leaf and although he may be off to a good start, I really doubt he's in the same league as Wideman talent-wise.

I guess we'll see over the course of the season

Dobber Sports Ace

both to me are inconsistent dmen in pretty good situations. i would take wideman in this situation not knowing anything about ur scoring set up. im assuming its something similar to a pts format. wideman has hit 50 pts before. this is white's 5th team in 3 years. that has to say something about a player. i feel that people are getting to excited about him right now because of his good start. i give the slight edge to wideman here because of his past history. wideman has averaged around 35pts per season and hit 50 once. white has never broke 26pts and they are only a year apart in age.
    10 Team Yahoo Semi Keeper H2H Daily lineups (Keep 5 Vets & 5 Rookies), Play 3C, 3RW, 3LW, 4D, 2G daily

C-Giroux, Matthews (R), Petterson, Barzal (R)
    LW-Rakell
    RW-Tarasenko, Aho (R), Boser (R)
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

G, A, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, +/-, GWG, SOG, Hits, Blocks, PIM
    Wins, Saves, Goals Against, Shutouts

Rookies Eligible till 170 GP

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Not that it matters too much but White actually scored 38pts. in 83 games splitting between Toronto and Calgary in 09/10.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Call me crazy, but I'd keep Wideman over White.

They are in similar situations but I think Wideman's is a little more favourable. The 75% of the time WAS is not rolling with 4 forwards on their PP, Wideman is on the top unit (Carlsson is not playing on the PP at all).

In Detroit, looks like White is splitting time with Kronwall on the PP.

It's not a huge difference, but I'd say Wideman because of his pedigree and also because he's on a team that will score a lot more goals in general.

I've seen White personally quite a bit from his days as a leaf and although he may be off to a good start, I really doubt he's in the same league as Wideman talent-wise.

I guess we'll see over the course of the season
    Honestly,White is playing on PP1 beside Lids and also at ES as his defense partner.He has looked pretty good so far and he has the only right hand shot among the Wings D.He really isn't fighting Kronwall for anything.Kronner has mainly been on PP2 and the second pairing at ES.
    To answer the question posed,it's White for me in a landslide
    2010 and 2014 IceHoles League champion
    16 Team Dynasty League,H2H Scoring 1.5 PTS g,1 PT assist,PPG + 1 additional,SHG +1.5 Additional,.1 pts per PIM wins 4 pts shutout 3 pts ga -1 sv .08
    C Backes,Bonino,Lee ,Nelson,Tierney
    LW Cammalerri,Benn,Kunitz,Zetterberg
    RW Kessel,Hossa,Pominville,Saad
    D Barrie,OEL,McDonagh,Josi,Chara
    G Luongo,Rinne,Allen
    Minors Buchnivich,Kempe,H.Samuelsson,Kapanen,Lindell,Were nski,Sproul,M.Jones,S.Williams,Gillies,Darling

Dobber Sports Pro

I am thinking Ian White
    Straight Points keeper league. Keep 5 Forwards,3 defence,1 goalie.

F: Nicklas Backstrom, Joe Thornton, Henrik Zetterberg, Zach Parise, Logan Couture

D: Erik Karlsson, Alex Pietrangelo, Oliver Ekman-Larsson

G: Sergei Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Icon

This is a really close one imo. Is it points only?

Both are in great situations. White is going to see tons of PPPs once that PP gets going, in the right handed shooter role. That said, Wideman is on PP1 right now and he's also a big shooter.

If plus / minus is a category, both should be good but I think White will have the edge. Wideman's been like a roller coaster in his career, althoguh on good teams he's usually been decent in this category.

If SOG is a category, Wideman has an edge there, but not by too much.

if blocked shots is a category, Wideman is significantly better although White is no slouch.

If your league weights goals more heavily, maybe Wideman, he's had 13, 13 and 10 in the past 4 years, that's pretty solid.

One issue with Wideman, if you judge by his experiences in Boston and Florida, is that he tends to start strong and then becomes less effective after his initial stint with a team. Just ask any Bruins fan how they felt when he was traded away, elated is probably an apt description. Might not happen in DC though, he's a pretty good fit on that team.

As for White, I wouldn't put any stock into the fact that he's been traded. In fact, I'd see it as a testament to his perceived value, the fact that he was traded basically for Phaneuf, then for Babchuk/Kostopolous, and then a contender like the Sharks gave up a 2nd rounder to get him for a critical playoff run and he produced nicely (43 point pace in the playoffs is impressive for a Dman). Check out this Bleacher Report article (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6...for-the-sharks) from last year when he was traded to the Sharks, some good detail in there regarding what he brings, and I especially like the following statement:

"Most importantly, he’s also right-handed, meaning Niclas Wallin is no longer the “switch” defenceman. This will pay big dividends in keeping the power play continuity and pitching the puck deep where the Sharks want it. White will be able to play the puck at the point on his forehand, keeping the power play efficient and operating quickly. This may appear to be a small and minute fact for some people, but its effect on the power play can be profound."

I agree with this guy, and it will be the same in Detroit, he'll be a perfect complement to Lidstrom (he can't fill Rafalski's shoes but won't need to in order to produce for his owners).

That said, if I had to pick one, I'd say Wideman because he has a history or producing across a nice swath of categories, but I'd be pretty happy with either of these guys.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper