Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Gustav Nyquist

Dobber Sports Stud

Young guys and fringe players always excel this time of year because they're the ones giving it 100%. Nyquist did his part and showed the Detroit Brass what he's got but his performance certainly shoudn't have locked him down a roster spot on a team that's hitting the end of it's life cycle but still looking to compete for the title.

Quote from Babcock:

"We'll see how the year starts. … I mean, it's an exhibition game. Let's not kid ourselves. And I'm not trying to take anything away from the kid. He was outstanding and he's been great all camp"

The hype around Nyquist is like deja vu to 2009 with the stuff I was hearing about Stalberg and Shirokov.

Not saying people shouldn't be excicted by his performance, just trying to throw some perspective on the thing.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I didn't watch much of Shirokov, but Nyquist is head and shoulders above Stalberg. Stalberg had speed and that's it. He's not a very smart player and he didn't really know what to do with the puck when he broke into the league (if you can call it that). Nyquist is a completely different animal.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by sentium View Post
    I didn't watch much of Shirokov, but Nyquist is head and shoulders above Stalberg. Stalberg had speed and that's it. He's not a very smart player and he didn't really know what to do with the puck when he broke into the league (if you can call it that). Nyquist is a completely different animal.
    I'm not comparing Nyquist to Stalberg as players, simply in terms of hype coming out of the pre-season. I watched every game Stalberg played and he looked dominant at times but.....it was the pre-season and we all know what happened once the regular season started.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    Well to be fair Brunnstrom had a pretty nice camp and preseason himself. If that's the time to earn a job, then I'd say he did so.
    Did he outplay Nyquist?
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Pro

Saw him play a little bit yesterday. I think he's a legit NHLer. Is he a Filppula or someone better, hard to say at this pt. Might be worth a risk here given the lack of scoring up front on DET.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Did he outplay Nyquist?
    Brunnstrom played as well as Nyquist I would say throughout all of preseason. The elderstatesmen usually get the benefit of the doubt especially if a player can easily moved to the AHL like Nyquist.