Thread: 10/02/11- Studs and Duds

Dobber Sports Master

Default 10/02/11- Studs and Duds

First off, I just want to thank Gates for this opportunity. I am a huge fan of the "Studs and Duds", and am honoured to be a part of it. For all those wondering, I will be covering Thursday night games. Today's feature is an anomaly, I will usually not be covering Sunday games.

That said, it was a quiet night in the preseason with only 3 games played. That being said, here are your Studs and Duds for Sunday, October 2nd:

Studs:

3) Green's Re-appearance

Washington Capitals defenceman Mike Green was all but invisible last season. Constant injuries and poor play kept him under 30 points for the year. If his game against the Blackhawks is any indication of the upcoming year, it should be a good one. Green looked solid throughout the game, scoring a goal and notching an assist. Hopefully, Green can keep this up and return to the way that he played in 2009-2010.

2)Simmering of the #SHANABAN

Every year, the preseason is an indication of many things; including player chemistry, veteran play, and rookies looking to shine. However, never has there been a preseason with the amount of suspensions as there have been in the 3 weeks of preseason play. With 8 (and more pending) players currently suspended, the wrath of Brendan Shanahan has spread around the leagues. From star defencemen to 4th line scrubs, nobody is safe from the "Shanaban".

While this is a great step for the league (after the incompetence of Colin Campbell), the general public started to get the sense that every hit was being considered a "suspendable" act. Shanahan made large strides today in easing the public (and the league) by not suspending Eric Nystrom for an accidental collision, and Alex Edler for a hit to the head on a crouching Taylor Hall. This shows that Shanahan and the rest of his crew will not be suspending every hit, and will factor in other contingents.

1)Wouldn't it be "Nyquist"

Not much to say here. Detroit Red Wing Gustav Nyquist has been on fire this preseason, and continued it against the Penguins. Scoring 2 goals and one assist, Nyquist was flying around the ice and getting quality scoring chances. It'll be a tough decision for Babcock and the Red Wings' staff, as this kid has certainly shown his worth.

Duds

3)"Waive" Goodbye to Brule

The Edmonton Oilers waived forward Gilbert Brule Sunday, which can only be summarized by this quote by Steve Laidlaw (MetalDude26) on twitter:

Where do you go from here Gilbert Brule? You just got cut by the worst team in the NHL.
    I assume that teams will show minimal interest in the forward. If not for his hockey ability, he might get a famous band to show up on the team bus!

2) Brassard's Descent

Things are not looking good for Blue Jackets' center Derrick Brassard. According to Aaron Portzline, the line combinations for the Jackets are as follows:

#CBJ LW Vinny Prospal has joined Carter and Nash on No. 1 line.RW Cam Atkinson on a line with LW R.J. Umberger and C Antoine Vermette.
    This is a harsh blow to both Brassard and fantasy owners of Derrick, as he was rumoured at one point to join Carter and Nash on line one. Things are always subject to change, but it seems that Brassard is currently on the outside, looking into the top 6.

1)Hartford getting Rangers' Sloppy Seconds?

Sean Avery could be taking his talents to Hartford this season. It appears that the controversial winger Sean Avery is fighting for the 13th spot on the New York Rangers, and is reportedly in a tight race with Erik Christensen. Even if Avery is picked up on waivers, this would be a shock to Avery's constant confidence, and would be very satisfactory seeing that grin wiped off of his face.

Quick Hits

Twitter Fact of the Day Ron Wilson became the first coach to join twitter. He is currently following 28 people, all of which members of the Leafs' organization or media executives...except for Kyle Turris.

Malone's Fate Still Undecided Ryan Malone has still not been dismissed or suspended for his hit on Chris Campoli. Should be interesting to see the verdict.

Final Cuts Coming With the preseason winding down, many teams set to make the final cuts. I advise that you keep a close eye on all of the teams, and the people that are cut at the last minute.
    Last edited by GMGates; October 2, 2011 at 10:06 PM.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Excellent start Tyler!

You get the "Gates seal of approval", haha.

Thought I'd give another quick hit with a follow up question :

A game removed from playing in Lundqvist's hometown of Guthenberg, it was Gaborik's turn to play in front of his home country. Gaborik, who served as an alternate tonight, wore a No. 38 on his helmet for his late friend, fellow countryman & ex-teammate Pavol Demitra.

Another emotional night, and win, for the Rangers.

Now my question is, does it benefit an NHL club to play their preseason versus Euro teams? I'm sure it builds their confidence, especially being part of such emotional games, but does it affect their readiness once they start the season against other NHL clubs?
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Nice work TK.

Gates, in the end, I think the overseas travel takes a bit of a toll on teams in the early going. But I think it's great for their mental health, so likely a push.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Nice job breaking your cherry Tyler.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Good stuff Tyler

Just a heads up, Gustav Nyquist was immediately sent to the AHL's Grand Rapids Griffins following his 3 point effort

Basically, it came down to the Wings ability to send him down without having to pass through waivers.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Nice work TK.

Gates, in the end, I think the overseas travel takes a bit of a toll on teams in the early going. But I think it's great for their mental health, so likely a push.

Quote Originally Posted by GMGates View Post
    Excellent start Tyler!

You get the "Gates seal of approval", haha.

Thought I'd give another quick hit with a follow up question :

A game removed from playing in Lundqvist's hometown of Guthenberg, it was Gaborik's turn to play in front of his home country. Gaborik, who served as an alternate tonight, wore a No. 38 on his helmet for his late friend, fellow countryman & ex-teammate Pavol Demitra.

Another emotional night, and win, for the Rangers.

Now my question is, does it benefit an NHL club to play their preseason versus Euro teams? I'm sure it builds their confidence, especially being part of such emotional games, but does it affect their readiness once they start the season against other NHL clubs?
    Thanks for everyone's support guys!

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Nice job breaking your cherry Tyler.

...almost everyone's support.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    Good stuff Tyler

Just a heads up, Gustav Nyquist was immediately sent to the AHL's Grand Rapids Griffins following his 3 point effort

Basically, it came down to the Wings ability to send him down without having to pass through waivers.
    Damn, that must have sucked for him after such a performance. Thanks for the update.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Grand Master

That was a compliment!

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    That was a compliment!
    You're forgiven, for now

I'm just messin' with ya haha. Thanks for the support.

Dobber Sports Guru

Brassard with Johansen and Mayorov doesn't look like your typical 3rd line -- I'm hoping (as a Brassard owner) that it's a 2A/2B situation.

But...I was thinking. Leafs could use a playmaking center...and Brassard seems to be due for a change in scenery...
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    Brassard with Johansen and Mayorov doesn't look like your typical 3rd line -- I'm hoping (as a Brassard owner) that it's a 2A/2B situation.

But...I was thinking. Leafs could use a playmaking center...and Brassard seems to be due for a change in scenery...
    And Columbus could use a puck moving D-man!!! Gunnerson?? .....Finger??? LOL
    12 team Full Keeper
    G,A +/- Hits,BS,SOG,ATOI,PPP,FOW,PIM,GWG,W,Saves,Save%,GAA ,SO
    C:Crosby,R.Johanson,J.Carter,Brassard,Fisher,Kadri ,Vermette
    RW:Ovechkin,Voracek,Hornquist,Niederieter,Silfverb erg
    LW:Benn,Zetterberg,Panarin,Hartnell,Ladd,Hertl
    D:Hedmen,OEL,Buff,Letang,Klingberg,Chara,Gudas,Orp ik
    G:Price,Crawford,Dubnyk,Darling,Miller

10 Team Full Keeper 29 Roster 5 Minors Full Roto
    C-Crosby,Backstrom,Kopitar,Krejci,RNH,Plekanec,
    LW-Hall,Saad,Krieder,Perron,Boedker
    RW-Okposo,Atkinson,Niederietter,Shaw
    D-Letang,Hedman,Green.Klingberg,S.Jones,Chara,Orpik