Thread: Jokinen, Tanguay, Hainsey for Briere, Kane

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Jokinen, Tanguay, Hainsey for Briere, Kane

There\'s been a bunch of speculation on Briere so here\'s a trade I proposed today in the interest of buying somewhat low [as I think Briere bounces back to his 90 point self next season].

I\'m banking on two things for this trade to work...
    1. The other GM is sore on Briere
    2. He desperately needs scoring help for his D in an attempt to finish 3rd [the final money spot]

I\'m in 1st in the pool [team in sig] and looking to try to ensure I don\'t drop more than a couple of points and land a potential star keeper in Kane back.

With all the speculation on Briere and Kane on recent threads let me know if you guys think this is a good deal to pursue or should I pull it off the table [it\'s by no means a done deal].

Cheers.
    10 Team [keep 10 + 4 prospects]
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Keith, Goligoski, Carlson, Krug, Trouba, Streit, Pouliot, Ceci, Nurse, Martinez
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I\'m really torn on this one... I don\'t think its a bad deal for you, but looking at that monster team in the signature, you might have a hard time keeping Briere and/or Kane even if they do bounce back. At least you can drop Jokinen, Tanguay and Hainsey at the end of this season without too much guilt... but your keepers are so strong I\'m wondering if they can crack the top 10.

On the other hand, you are getting the best players in the deal and turning quantity into quality - i\'d probably do it if i were you... which i wish i was looking at that team... Crosby, Ovechkin, Kovulchuk, Nabokov, Radulov.... WOW!!!
    13 team points only keeper
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 3D and 1G plus 5 player bench
    Keep 6 plus entire farm

C: Lecavalier, Ribeiro
    LW: Elias, Booth
    RW: Kessel, Pominville
    D: Karlsson, Phaneuf, Bouwmeester
    G: Pavelic

Bench: Malkin, Savard, Langenbrunner, Markov, Brouwer
    Farm: Frolik, Gagner, Little, Turris, B. Connolly, Kuznetsov, Ekman-Larson

Dobber Sports Apprentice

That collection of young studs looks like it belongs in a league of 3 teams, not 8. Looks like you have that one locked up for years to come!
    13 team points only keeper
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 3D and 1G plus 5 player bench
    Keep 6 plus entire farm

C: Lecavalier, Ribeiro
    LW: Elias, Booth
    RW: Kessel, Pominville
    D: Karlsson, Phaneuf, Bouwmeester
    G: Pavelic

Bench: Malkin, Savard, Langenbrunner, Markov, Brouwer
    Farm: Frolik, Gagner, Little, Turris, B. Connolly, Kuznetsov, Ekman-Larson

Dobber Sports Expert

I just talked with GM I proposed this trade to and he said he had no intention of parting with Kane [good reasoning overall].

He countered with...

Briere
    Huselius or Horton

for my...

Jokinen
    Tanguay
    Hainsey

I\'m thinking of countering with...

Jokinen/Comrie/Hainsey...for...Briere/Huselius

Any other thoughts on these options?
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

You keep 10, so I\'d start by determining who they are:

No brainers are:
    Crosby, AO, Kovy, Gabby
    Gonchar, Markov, Campbell
    Nabokov

You have 2 roster spots remaining for:
    Jagr, Arnott, Dumont, Radulov, Jokinen, B.Richards
    Streit or Enstrom

I know Streit had better numbers this year than Campbell,
    but that just tells me his value will never be higher. I\'m your format he is the 8th best defensemen... package him up with whomever you decide not to hold in your core 10 and try to upgrade for another big time player or elite goalie. You have some serious talent going back into the draft for next year.

IMO, Radulov is worth holding... and the last spot should be reserved for the player you bring in from a blockbuster trade.

I know the other GM wasn\'t looking to move Kane, but maybe Streit, plus 2 of Jagr/Jokinen/Arnott/Dumont would make him think a little harder.
    15 team keeper league, points only
    3 C, 6 W, 4 D
    core of 16, plus 3 rookies (**), 6 round annual draft

C - Thornton, M Richards, B Richards [McDonald, S. Koivu]
    W - Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Vanek, St. Louis, Whitney, Hemsky [Hartnell, Knuble, Lupul]
    D - Gonchar, Visnovsky, Whitney, Kronwall [Kuba, Cumiskey]

Dobber Sports Expert

Bump...for the time you took to dissect my roster and give an informed opinion. Thanks!

You broke down my keepers basically right. I\'m waffling between Streit/Campbell and I\'ll likely keep 2 of Jokinen/Radulov/B. Richards.

Your final advice is what I\'ll try in the off-season if nothing significant moves now...I\'ll probably try it anyway then. Just trading Streit now would drop me 17 points in the standings [and my cushion is about 30] so I\'m not going to be doing that anytime soon.

I\'m essentially trying to package my 5th or 6th F keeper with a D that I\'ll never keep, but right now those points could help someone else potentially finish in the money. I\'m just seeing if anyone is desperate enough to give up something significant for a few points.

I don\'t really mind not doing anything here...I\'m not under serious pressure in my pool.

Forwards
    Defense
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Master

Rumrunner did what I usually like to do in evaluating a trade. That is, decide what it means to your keepers going forward. For the most part I agree what he is saying so I wont bother doing it myself.

My only comment is that I would advise against holding Gaborik in such high regard. He is having a career year yes, but hav eyou forgetten the past 3 years when he played 48, 65 and 65 games? Proceed with caution.

Dobber Sports Expert

I haven\'t forgotten about Gaborik\'s injury-prone nature. I tried to deal him for Hossa earlier this week, but no go. I think Gaborik will finish the year pretty well giving me options to consider moving him in the off-season. His points right now are valuable to me as I\'m winning so I\'m not in any rush to deal him this instant.

Thanks for the input.

Forwards
    Defense
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

No doubt that Gabby has had injury issues, but he isn\'t the first young European to come over to the NHL and struggle with the grind of an 82 game season. Refer back to early in Alfie\'s career,
    he had 3 seasons in a row that had less than 58 games played, he\'s averaged 77 GP since. Now I must admit I traded Gaborik earlier this year to get Mueller, Brassard and a 1st round pick.

If Gabby can find a way to stay reasonably healthy, he has 100 point potential. If you trade him, don\'t reduce his value too much.
    15 team keeper league, points only
    3 C, 6 W, 4 D
    core of 16, plus 3 rookies (**), 6 round annual draft

C - Thornton, M Richards, B Richards [McDonald, S. Koivu]
    W - Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Vanek, St. Louis, Whitney, Hemsky [Hartnell, Knuble, Lupul]
    D - Gonchar, Visnovsky, Whitney, Kronwall [Kuba, Cumiskey]

Dobber Sports Expert

rumrunner wrote:
    No doubt that Gabby has had injury issues, but he isn\'t the first young European to come over to the NHL and struggle with the grind of an 82 game season. Refer back to early in Alfie\'s career,he had 3 seasons in a row that had less than 58 games played, he\'s averaged 77 GP since.
    You make a great point...I can only hope this holds true.

If Gabby can find a way to stay reasonably healthy, he has 100 point potential. If you trade him, don\'t reduce his value too much.
    Here\'s the thing though...if I think Gaborik is going to score 100 points I\'m not going to trade him.

Forwards
    Defense
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Master

If Gabby gets 100 points, it would be the perfect time to trade him. Buy low - sell high. After 100 point season, Gabby\'s value could not get any higher.

I give this advice b/c I simply do not believe in him. That is my opinion only. He may have put his injuries behind him. Maybe...