Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 9/26/11 - Studs & Duds

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Default 9/26/11 - Studs & Duds

Studs & Duds
    September 26th

Studs

3) Comes in three's

There were three shut outs last night, two from unlikely candidates and one from Cam Ward, who had an excellent 36 save performance. The other two? Dubnyk and Giguere with 30 saves and 16 saves respectively.

Dubnyk and the Oilers swept a home and home over Calgary, while Ryan O'Reilly potted two goals in Colorado's win. Fittingly, the new (unofficial) DobberHockey favorite, Zac Dalpe scored on a breakaway to startup the scoring in Carolina.

2) Nickel City Limelight

Giving a little props to Sudbury born Bertuzzi on a sizzling highlight reel shoot out goal. Put the puck between his legs, passed it to himself and then went backhander... beauty! For a moment I thought it was 2002 again!

Zetterberg followed up with a nice fake shot, in between the legs goal as well.

1) Oozing with talent

Another guy that quietly creeps up in prospect conversations around these boards is Brandon Pirri. When you read about Pirri, you hear about his ooooozing potential. Well, he got some respect last night.

Two goals (one short handed), one assist, plus-three, three SOG, two PIM and one hit.

Keep your eyes on this kid. Here's hoping this top stud gives him a little luck!

Duds

3) Royal Flush

More like a flush down the toilet! Ok, getting a little creative here. But the King's big guns roster (minus Jack Johnson and of course, Drew Doughty) failed to register any points against Visnovsky's Ducks. No Getzlaf, no Perry, no Ryan etc... c'mon, where is the chemistry!

Good thing for Loktionov and a nice feed from Stoll.

2) Repeat Offender

Brad Boyes, who will miss two preseason games for a hit to the head on Toronto's Joe Colborne on Friday night, has officially become a repeat offender. Boyes is one of several player's, who Brandon Shanahan, the league's head disciplinarian, has cracked down on via public video.

1) 1-4-0

That title is Montreal's preseason record. As of today, that is the worst in the league. Because of this number one dud mention, they will probably come out of the gates flying high and post a 10-0-0 record to start the season.

It doesn't help that Budaj, who finished with seven goals allowed on twenty-six shots, and his fellow Habs got spanked tonight in all directions by Boston - two short handed, two on the power play and three other even strength markers. They simply cannot catch a break.

That's right Price. Dud!

Quick Hits

Chicago's Quenneville was looking at trying out Patrick Kane at Center. Seems a bit odd to me, but if that means spreading out the talent and moving Sharp to the wing, I'm game! Something tells me it won't stick though.

"He's played center most of his life," Quenneville said. "Defensively, he's gotten better as he's grown ... down low on the walls. It's something we're going to at least take a look at."'

""I pretty much played center my whole life growing up and right before I went to the (U.S. National Team Developmental program) they switched me to the off-side wing, the right wing side," Kane told reporters at the time. "Up until then I'd played center my whole life, so it's just re-learning that position.""

There was some concern about Scott Hartnell having an accelerated heartbeat. He will be seeing doctors Monday to figure out what the issue was. Don't think he will miss anytime, however it is something to note.

It looks like David Perron will be joining the team tomorrow. Should be interesting to see his status. If he is indeed ready to start the season, he could make for an interesting late round pick up. Stay tuned.

Here is a couple deep league stat lines :

Brad Winchester - one goal, plus-one, six PIM, five SOG.
    Tommy Wingels - two goals, plus-one, two PIM, three SOG.

And the unsung stand out of the night - Dane Byers with one goal and two assists for Columbus.

GMG signing off!
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Pro

Very entertaining read!

Here's to hoping that LA finds some chemistry, the battles in that division are some of my favourites...

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Monster

Gates good stuff - keep it going all year!!

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default parron

It so nice to see that he's returning to hockey!! I hope for his sake he returns healthy.
    I traded Backstrom (Min.) and A. Stewart
    for Bernier and Parron this year hoping everything would be alright.
    That kid has OOOOZING potential for sure!!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Great job Gates, loving these studs and duds.

I'm very curious as to how the lines would end up in St.Louis with a healthy Perron. If I remember correctly I think Perron was playing with Oshie and Backes or something along those lines before his injury..

Oh well, still too early to say..as far as we know all he's done so far is re-joined the team. I don't think he's been working out at all ever since his injury. I'm looking forward to hear what Perron and Armstrong have to say tomorrow.

Winchester was flinging elbows around tonight lol...it was quite ridiculous really. Also Rome apparently has a broken finger.

Mursak (DET) also suffered what looked like a pretty bad injury to something in his leg (either knee or ankle)...as he got checked awkwardly into the boards.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Padawan

Nice job gates!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Carter - 12 of 18 FOW - a goal - just saying ....

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Ross The Boss Palmer View Post
    Very entertaining read!

Here's to hoping that LA finds some chemistry, the battles in that division are some of my favourites...
    I know it is only pre season, and that we shouldn't be reading into anything at all really, but I can't help but look at that LA team and think how badly Lombardi is messing things up right now, with his hardline stance on Doughty.

You have a team that seems poised to make a run, and you keep the straw that stirs the drink sitting on the sidelines? GM Lombardi can make the point about Kopitar being the highest paid player on the team, but when a talent like Doughy comes along, it changes things. He is the face of the franchise, and without him they are going no where...how does he sell that to ownership and more importantly the fans???

GROW UP DEAN!!! We are not talking about overpaying Alec Martinez, Matt Greene, or Rob Scuderi, its DREW DOUGHTY....MAKE IT HAPPEN ALREADY!!!

Puck
    'To be is to do' - Socrates....'To do is to be '- Sartre..........
    'To do be do be do' - Sinatra.

15 Team Keeper League - 20 roster spots (4C 4L 4R 6D 2G)
    Point Categories - G A +/- PIMS GAA SV%
    Protect 13-15 *$80 Team cap

C - Bergeron, Zibanejad,
    L - Connor, Marchand, Olofsson
    R - Nylander, Wheeler, Gallagher, Rust
    D - Carlson, Josi, Nurse
    G - Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by hockey4ever View Post
    It so nice to see that he's returning to hockey!! I hope for his sake he returns healthy.
    I traded Backstrom (Min.) and A. Stewart
    for Bernier and Parron this year hoping everything would be alright.
    That kid has OOOOZING potential for sure!!
    Could be a great buy low situation for you...nice deal, unless you are not deep in the nets.
    'To be is to do' - Socrates....'To do is to be '- Sartre..........
    'To do be do be do' - Sinatra.

15 Team Keeper League - 20 roster spots (4C 4L 4R 6D 2G)
    Point Categories - G A +/- PIMS GAA SV%
    Protect 13-15 *$80 Team cap

C - Bergeron, Zibanejad,
    L - Connor, Marchand, Olofsson
    R - Nylander, Wheeler, Gallagher, Rust
    D - Carlson, Josi, Nurse
    G - Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

These Studs and Duds are becoming a second morning ramblings. Good woek Gates!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Awesome article, love the insight on the situations regarding Kane and Perron.
    16-team Keeper, Keep 7
    Cats: G, A, P, +/-, BS, PIM, PPG, PPA, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, W, L, GAA, SV%, SHO

C: Giroux (RW), Shore, Fisher, Schwartz
    LW: Couture (C), Benn (C), Killorn (C), Malone
    RW: Yakupov, Voracek, Clowe (LW), Downie (LW), Vrbata, Hornqvist, Callahan
    D: Schultz, Gudas, Gardiner, Kindl, Trouba, Ballard
    G: Rask, Emery, Lehner, Lack

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Love the return of the studs and duds.

Re: Perron's return, I'd assume the lines would be:

A Mac - Berglund - Stewart
    Perron - Backes - Oshie

Thanks guys! (and to those from other editions as well)

I have some nice blue prints laid out for the Studs & Duds this season and things should be pretty clear by puck drop on the direction of this feature. Really looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Carter - 12 of 18 FOW - a goal - just saying ....
    Where was he when I did my face off piece last night!

Another amazing FOW and FO%. Beware UHL - Crosby and Carter on the draw = lock on that category!

I'm going to have to keep a closer eye on Carter!

Well... at least I'm not being a biased guy and shamelessly upping the value of my skaters haha!

Thanks again shoeless.
    Gates Imbeau

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GMGates View Post
    Thanks guys! (and to those from other editions as well)

I have some nice blue prints laid out for the Studs & Duds this season and things should be pretty clear by puck drop on the direction of this feature. Really looking forward to it.

Where was he when I did my face off piece last night!

Another amazing FOW and FO%. Beware UHL - Crosby and Carter on the draw = lock on that category!

I'm going to have to keep a closer eye on Carter!

Well... at least I'm not being a biased guy and shamelessly upping the value of my skaters haha!

Thanks again shoeless.
    Took him the pick before me you bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Love the return of the studs and duds.

Re: Perron's return, I'd assume the lines would be:

A Mac - Berglund - Stewart
    Perron - Backes - Oshie
    Beauty line up right there!

However, Steen with the A might get that LW2. If Perron does make it back he'll definitely be playing less minutes to start which to me = LW3 or even LW4.

They definitely have the talent to mix and match chemistry.

Oh and update -

@jprutherford Jeremy Rutherford
    Perron is set to rejoin Blues today. He will hold a press conference at 11 am CDT to discuss returning from concussion http://bit.ly/pzCYuN
    Gates Imbeau