Thread: My Perry for his Skinner, Mason, pick

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default My Perry for his Skinner, Mason, pick

Hey guys,

Im in a points only (no positional requirements) keeper league. Im looking at the offer above where I move Perry for Skinner, Mason and a pick. The move gets me some depth and I think its a chance to cash in on Perry's best year. If his shooting percentage drops to his career average he regresses 15 goals. That being said, the top line in Anaheim is sure to put up elite points. I do plan on going for it which makes trading Perry seem crazy.

Any advice on whether or not to pull the trigger?

Dobber Sports Monster

Cannot really count on Mason yet and no idea what the pick would give you. Perry IMO even in points only, better option than Skinner.

Unsure of you're team roster, so based just on the info provided, I still would want Perry in this situation.

Administrator

Mason is bunk. I'm all for reviewing other possible options though. The big thing you really need to consider here is how much you are actually cashing in on Perry's big season. As you may be aware I have him projected to decline so cashing in is a good idea but Skinner just won the Calder trophy and has every poolie from here to Bangkok and back drooling over his potential. So you may be selling high on Perry but you are also buying high on Skinner. It may be worthwhile to just sit down and look at how you actually value each of Perry and Skinner instead of simply trying to cash in on Perry overachieving season.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thanks!

I still see Perry as a 85-90 pt player. Which could justify top 10 status.

Skinner I will admit I have no clue on. I followed him since his draft year when he was ranked 30th mid-season to his rise up the rankings. I'll admit Im a fan boy but I still see 65-70 points. He could also regress a bit due to shooting percentage but I really like his late season surge when the games mattered. I've seen guys like Gagner (yet) and Samsonov not really develop after their rookie year but in most cases I would think development should happen.

I agree Mason is bunk.

The Magnificent One

I'm all for cashing in on perry but not sure how this trade affects your roster.

1) 3:1 do u need to drop people to make this trade happen
    2) what can you get with that pick?
    3) what's your goalie situation? Most think mason isn't good but I can see return to glory this season so if your goalie situation is bad this might not be such a bad idea
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by newper114 View Post
    I'm all for cashing in on perry but not sure how this trade affects your roster.

3) what's your goalie situation? Most think mason isn't good but I can see return to glory this season so if your goalie situation is bad this might not be such a bad idea
    Beauty questions to ask.

This trade doesn't make any sense to me on the surface though. It looks to me like you pretty much answered your own question. You plan on competing this year but you want to deal Perry for a 20 year old who we hope will score as much as Perry one day and a goalie who hasn't had a good season in two years and counting.

Unless that pick is a Zetterberg, Iginla, Datsyuk, or even someone like a Stastny, M.Koivu etc. then this is a resounding no from me.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Genius

Are there CATS? Is this straight points?

No positional status, removes Perry's ELITE RW status. He's simply ELITE.

We have Perry in a couple pools at our house. He finished with about 20 goals in his last 20 games last year. Something absolutely ridiculous like that. He had no chance at 50 goals, and then did an all world quarter only ever done by the likes of Bossy, Neely, Simmer, Gretzky, Hull, Lemieux....

Consider that Getzlaf missed 10 or 15 games. It is reasonable to wonder that this scoring sensation threatens 90 points and pushes towards 50 once again. Anaheim has a very defined group inside their TOP 6. A very defined group as checkers.

When we get into Multi-Cats, the valuable Perry sometimes becomes even more valuable. G A PTS PPG SHG (yes he's good) PPA PPP SHA SHP GWG, PIM, SHOTS... just depending on the selection of CATS, his value can go through the roof. For an Elite, he's also contract friendly.

Straight points, no CAP...

Well, you would be breaking the first rule of trading, get the best player. Now, that said, although it is exceptionally seldom that I would consider breaking a player into pieces, you've mentioned the correct type of consideration pieces.

Unlike so many in Fantasy. I like S Mason. Remember, almost all his peers are still in the AHL. CBJ is also looking more promising (on paper) this year. Optimism abounds. I would believe that at some point in the near future there is a very good chance that he bounces back, similar to Carey Price (Price was deceased a year ago today, wasn't he?)

I really like Skinner. Numerous reasons. His head being one of them. Research CALDER TROPHY WINNERS. You'll really like the list when you're done. Best comparables in recent years would be Samsonov and Patrick Kane. (Samsonov was a very nice Fantasy piece for a few years). I believe he's likely to do a solid rise again this year. No sophmore slump. Training with Gary Roberts the last couple years, and a very high intelligence/maturity level, bode highly for him.

Draft picks. You always have to like picks. Not sure what the value of your pick is.

All that said, Mason/Skinner/Pick is the minimum you should consider as Perry is still very young. You have to be confident that one of these pieces fully replaces Perry and that the other pieces are your compensation for taking on the risk. Patience is also a requisite skill in making this deal. Shortage of goaltenders would also asset you. This wouldn't be a consideration in a five team league that allows 4 keepers annually.

Think it over very carefully. Brush up on all the players in the deal. Then make a decision. Remember too, by not making the deal you would be 'Stuck with Perry'. That's not a bad thing!

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by newper114 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by b0ndon View Post
    Beauty questions to ask.

This trade doesn't make any sense to me on the surface though. It looks to me like you pretty much answered your own question. You plan on competing this year but you want to deal Perry for a 20 year old who we hope will score as much as Perry one day and a goalie who hasn't had a good season in two years and counting.

Unless that pick is a Zetterberg, Iginla, Datsyuk, or even someone like a Stastny, M.Koivu etc. then this is a resounding no from me.
    b0ndon and newp are pretty spot on, in my opinion. A 3:1 trade isn't that, it's a 3:1+drops. But at the most basic level, it's important to ask just how high you expect Skinner to rise, and how quickly. Is your hope that in two years he's, well, playing like Cory Perry? (just noticing that b0ndon basically asked the same thing). Bottom line, I see more risk than benefit.
    T.G.