Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Malkin Or St-louis

Dobber Sports Padawan

I would roll the dice on malkin.
    http://www.dobberhockey.com/picture.php?albumid=65&pictureid=474

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Marty St. Louis for me for sure.

After reading the differences I think if it is a snake draft you hope to not draft in that 4th/5th sopt. You get the top 3 pick you are golden, but after that you could get the same guy with a 7-9 pick that you would with the 4th.

I think I would roll with Malkin. Last year there was so much hype about him and Stall playing together, then they were both injured, but if he comes back strong and healthy it is worth it.

On the flip side, Stamkos is a decent line mate as well.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Ritchierich View Post
    On the flip side, Stamkos is a decent line mate as well.
    Yeah, he's ok. Nowhere near as good as someone like Patrik Stefan, but I guess he'll get the job done

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1Z9UspUHqg

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Smokie View Post
    I always go boom or bust. It's in my nature. Last year I drafted Malkin in round one and finished out of the money in a one year, 5th out of 10. You know the crazy thing? I'd go Malkin again just I like hearing my buds say, "Man, check out the nuts on that guy!" Cause that's how I roll. Go big or go home. Malkin has more upside than St. Louis waaaaay more. While you may have a safe 85 points in St. Louis wouldn't you punch yourself in the face with a salami if Malkin posts over 100? Keeper or 1 Year, give me Malkin for now.
    85 points might sound like a 'safe' pick, but 'safe' in this case does not really equal settling for less. I really doubt there are ANY players who can match that consistency over that period of time. If you don't want to draft a surefire 90 point player (thats what hes had the last two years) who plays on one of the best powerplays in the league, be my guest.

You want to go big or go home? I suggest you take all the breakout candidates you can once all of the elite players are off the table - THAT'S where you win your pool. Trust me, if you eff up the first round, you won't come in first place. Even the stupidest poolie can pick a stud in the first round. Pick a known commodity here, then outdo your opponents later on in the draft. I have won 4/6 of my pools in the last six years with this philosophy.

I'm telling you right now, forget about St Louis' size and his age. Neither variable has had any effect on him up to this point.
    Last edited by pmorrow; August 7, 2011 at 11:08 PM.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

A real man takes Malkin and loses him half way through the season and still wins his pool.

Dobber Sports Initiate

i originally said Malkin, but i gotta change my tune and go St Louis. In a no keeper league St Louis has a greater change of out pointing him.

If Malkin misses 10 games, whcih is likely, then St Louis out points him.

My original premise was Malkin has more trade value but when do you trade your 1st round pick?
    UFHP - Y! 12 GMs - 23/8 pro/farm - keep 17 + all farm
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, FW; GS, W, L, GA, GAA, SA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Backstrom, Crosby, Little, Zetterberg, Rask
    LW: Foligno, Ehlers, Skinner, Hartnell, Jokinen, Ladd
    RW: Tarasenko, Kessel, Nash, Marner
    D: Keith, Karlsson, Klingberg, Werenski, Barrie, Manson
    G: Price, Murray, Andersen

Farm:
    C: Keller
    LW: Fiala, Heinen
    RW: Gurianov
    D: Sergachev, Beaulieu, Manning, Borowiecki
    G: Forsberg, Driedger

Dobber Sports Padawan

Take Malkin.

Wait say 15 games.

Trade the Malkin who's on pace for 110 points for the safe St.Louis and then some.

Or take Malkin and hope he stays healthy.

Either way the right move is to take Malkin and play the Market from about November in and sell as high as you can.
    Pool A
    G, A, +/-, PM, PPG, SHG W L T SO SV% GAA
    Cap 80,375,000
    Center: Backstrom, Giroux, Stepan, Spezza
    Wing: Ovechkin, Hall, Kessell, Nash, Voracek, Landeskog, Huberdeau, Schwartz
    Defence: Karlsson, Goligoski, Schultz, Barrie, Gardiner, Smith
    Goalie : Lundqvist, Dubnyk, Lehner
    Farm: Monohan, Bjugstad, Shinkaruk, Horvat, Killorn, Rattie

Pool B
    G, A, PTS, +/-, Hits, GWG W SO GAA SV%
    Cap 80,375,000
    F: Ovechkin, Kessell, Lupol, Backstrom, Giroux, Stepan, JvR, Forsburg, Landeskog, Etem, Eakin, Saad
    D: Green, Letand, Staal, McDonaugh, Faulk, Barrie
    G: Lundqvist, Halak
    Bench: Lecavalier, Grabovski
    Farm: Shinkaruk, Lindholm, Larsson, Gardiner, Visetin

Dobber Sports Padawan

Um...

It isn't a salary pool right? Because that seriously changes the dynamic here.
    Pool A
    Cap 80,375,000

Pool B
    Cap 80,375,000
    F: Ovechkin, Kessell, Lupol, Backstrom, Giroux, Stepan, JvR, Forsburg, Landeskog, Etem, Eakin, Saad

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    A real man takes Malkin and loses him half way through the season and still wins his pool.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by leaftodd View Post
    Trade the Malkin who's on pace for 110 points for the safe St.Louis and then some.

Or take Malkin and hope he stays healthy.

Either way the right move is to take Malkin and play the Market from about November in and sell as high as you can.
    If the market value of Malkin is that similar to St Louis, then why not just draft St Louis?

If Malkin has a bad start like he did this past year, the owner of MSL isn't going to budge.
    Last edited by pmorrow; August 7, 2011 at 11:17 PM.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Hey morrow, the statement was St.Louis + (and then some), for me if you're even debating between two players and you can get 1 + something for the other then its a win. You still end up with the guy you were thinking about and you end up with change in your pocket. The amount will be determined by how well you can deal.

Hell you might even be able to take Malkin in the draft then immediately flip him for the next pick and a late pick.

To me I take Malkin. Then i work the room.
    Pool A
    Cap 80,375,000

Pool B
    Cap 80,375,000

Dobber Sports Legend

Hard to pass up on Malkin because of the sick upside, but MSL is a reliable, steady 85-95 point beast who plays a full 82. In a 1-year league I would still take Malkin but for next season St. Louis is probably the safer pick. But like others have said - screw safe, swing for the fences.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

In a one year, POINTS ONLY LEAGUE, I think you HAVE to take St. Louis. St. Louis is a LOCK for 90-95 points every single season. Malkin had a bad season last season, another "off" season before THAT, and now he's coming back from major surgery... PLUS, St. Louis is in a position with less depth. In a Points Only format, you really have got to take St. Louis.

Someone above summed it up well - best case scenario with Malkin, he beats St. Louis by about 10 points. Worst case he's below him by 30+.

St Louis

Dobber Sports Apprentice

The whole 30+/10 argument doesn't really fly. What you're talking about is your first round pick in a points league. If you draft Malkin around 7 or 8 in a one-year league, and he explodes, you're the favorite to win your pool.

With St. Louis, you play it safe. And maybe now you've got a 1/10 or 1/8 chance of winning your pool. Two-four guys effed their first picks. But St. Louis' still not gonna set you apart.

Sure it's true that drafts are won in the later rounds and lost in the early rounds. Mostly. But snagging a 110+ guy mid to late in round one...gives you a big edge. If you think it's a coin flip on Malkin...I'd roll the dice. There's only one winner...