Thread: Boyle vs Pietrangelo

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Boyle vs Pietrangelo

I have both these D, but can only keep 1. The stats in my league for skaters are: G,A,+/-,PIM,PPG,PPA,SHP,GWG,SOG. I think I have flip flopped about 5 times in the last week on who I should keep. What say you?

Dobber Sports Star

Gotta go with AP here.

If you are contending this year, stick with Boyle, but in a keeper I'd rather AP.

Boyle is 35 and looks to be slowing down. He will still get 45-55 points, but will likely lose some PP time to Burns, whom SJ seems pretty committed to.

Shattenkirk and AP project to be a dominant force on the PP for years and now is the time to jump on St. Louis players.

Given the age, the opportunity, the teams etc, I would rather drop the fading star and stick with the emerging one.

GL
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Rookie

I won the league last season, and expect to be in contention again this season. I know Boyle still has a little more value, but I'm wondering if that value is enough to pass up on a 21 year old D man who is going to be a stud.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Contending or not, I think I go with AP here. He's primed to put up 50+ with good +- and will be the PP QB. It's gotta be at least a wash and I'll take the young gun in that case.
    10 Team Yahoo H2H - Keep 5 - G,A,+/-,PPP,PIMS,HITS SOG,GWG/W,GAA,SV%,SO
    C: Tavares, Pavelski, Fabbri, Matthews, Rakell,
    LW: Landeskog, Sedin, Perron
    RW: Kucherov, Oshie, Radulov, Backes
    D: Subban, Petry, Gostisbehere, Green, Yandle, Werenski
    G: Price, Talbot

Canadian Dad Blog - http://canadiandad.com

Dobber Sports Padawan

I go with AP here.

Also I keep Stewart in your other thread.
    Pool A
    G, A, +/-, PM, PPG, SHG W L T SO SV% GAA
    Cap 80,375,000
    Center: Backstrom, Giroux, Stepan, Spezza
    Wing: Ovechkin, Hall, Kessell, Nash, Voracek, Landeskog, Huberdeau, Schwartz
    Defence: Karlsson, Goligoski, Schultz, Barrie, Gardiner, Smith
    Goalie : Lundqvist, Dubnyk, Lehner
    Farm: Monohan, Bjugstad, Shinkaruk, Horvat, Killorn, Rattie

Pool B
    G, A, PTS, +/-, Hits, GWG W SO GAA SV%
    Cap 80,375,000
    F: Ovechkin, Kessell, Lupol, Backstrom, Giroux, Stepan, JvR, Forsburg, Landeskog, Etem, Eakin, Saad
    D: Green, Letand, Staal, McDonaugh, Faulk, Barrie
    G: Lundqvist, Halak
    Bench: Lecavalier, Grabovski
    Farm: Shinkaruk, Lindholm, Larsson, Gardiner, Visetin

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Well other than the fact that Boyle will kick Pietrangelo's ass in PIM's, SOG, PPP and probably outscore him by 5 or more .... Pietrangelo makes a fine choice, in two or three years their production curves should come close to crossing.

Edit: One of the factors that would push me to keep Boyle is that, here you are debating about keeping Boyle or Pietrangelo - does that not indicate that there will be high end D options available in years to come and that you really aren't risking losing something you can't replace? Boyle has done it year over year since the season before the lockout except for one injury season - he is only 35 - you don't have to look far to see productive 35+ D guys over the last several seasons. Pietrangelo will be good, no doubt - he isn't going to be alone in the pool - I wouldn't even rate him top 6 among the present young defenders.
    Last edited by Shoeless; August 7, 2011 at 10:31 AM.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by acegrand View Post
    I have both these D, but can only keep 1. The stats in my league for skaters are: G,A,+/-,PIM,PPG,PPA,SHP,GWG,SOG. I think I have flip flopped about 5 times in the last week on who I should keep. What say you?
    Boyle.

I like AP and his game. He's legit but I do not go against Boyle yet. The only way at this point in time that I take AP over Boyle is if im on a massive rebuild project. Otherwise, contending? Yea I want Boyle and the comfort of knowing what I will for sure get from him.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Tough call. I'm glad I have both and can keep both. I'd take Boyle for this yr still though.
    8 teams. . Full keeper. 20 active 8 bench+ prospects
    Pts only. Win=3,SO=3

Sedin Vanek Coutoure
    Pavekski kesler spezza
    BRichards Gallagher Dupuis
    Skinner Desharnais Pacioretty
    Chara Edler
    OEL Boyle
    Hedman Markov
    Ward,Quick
    Atkinson,turris,Versteeg,Huberdeau,Schwartz,rEllis ,kipper,Elliot
    Backlund, granlund,Grigs,Loktionov, Stalock, schenn,coyle,Gardener,saad,Pulkinnen,Lehner,Jmorro ,

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Killer67 View Post
    Contending or not, I think I go with AP here. He's primed to put up 50+ with good +- and will be the PP QB. It's gotta be at least a wash and I'll take the young gun in that case.
    I would disagree. I see him hitting 40-45 with about a + but maybe not double digits. still a few yrs away.
    24 Team Dynasty, H2H , NHL Salaries & Cap 94M$.
    3C , 3R , 3L, 4D, 1SKT, 2G , 4B , 5Farm
    G,A,SPT,HT,BLK,SHOTS,FOW... W,SV,SV%,GAA

C: E.Kuznetsov. B.Neilson, B.Hayton
    LW: J.Huberdeau, J.Kyrou, D.Heinen
    RW: J.Virtanen, V.Hinostraza, E.Tolvanen
    D: C.Makar, T.Chabot, M.Dumba, M.Matheson,
    SKT:C.Sissons
    G: B.Bishop, A.Raanta
    B: A.Anisimov, C.Fischer, T.Pitlick, A.Martinez, N.Zaitsev
    Farm: V.Kravtsov, J.Gauthier, R.Lavoie, I.Konovalov, M.Berdin

2021 picks: 2/1'st , 3/2nd's

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Well other than the fact that Boyle will kick Pietrangelo's ass in PIM's, SOG, PPP and probably outscore him by 5 or more .... Pietrangelo makes a fine choice, in two or three years their production curves should come close to crossing.

Edit: One of the factors that would push me to keep Boyle is that, here you are debating about keeping Boyle or Pietrangelo - does that not indicate that there will be high end D options available in years to come and that you really aren't risking losing something you can't replace? Boyle has done it year over year since the season before the lockout except for one injury season - he is only 35 - you don't have to look far to see productive 35+ D guys over the last several seasons. Pietrangelo will be good, no doubt - he isn't going to be alone in the pool - I wouldn't even rate him top 6 among the present young defenders.
    This is my thoughts here, in a limited keeper where you are getting players of Boyle/AP caliber sent back to the redraft I would stick with keeping the guy that is going to give me the best shot for the next season (and in my opinion that's Boyle) and then you can always redraft AP or equivalent each year from the pool, and when that time comes that the up-and-comer passes the vet then you cut ties.
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    22 Players 3C 3L 3R 1Util 4D 2G 6BN
    (G) (A) (+/-) (PIM) (PPP) (FW) (HIT) (W) (GAA) (SV%) (SHO)
    C: R Getzlaf, C Giroux, Scheifele, T Bozak
    LW: T Vanek, B Ryan, P Marleau, T Hall
    RW: C Perry, K Okposo, A Ovechkin, Kucherov
    D: D Byfuglien, Z Chara, E Karlsson, R Josi, D Keith, Trouba
    G: R Luongo, B Holtby, K Lehtonen
    Farm: Lack, Wennberg, Hellbucyk, Ho-Sang, Milano, Burakovsky, Sanheim
    2012-2013 and 2013-2014 league champ

Dobber Sports Rookie

Appreciate the opinions. The spot I'm in is that if I don't keep Pietrangelo, I'll most likely trade him this offseason, as there are guys in the league who want him. Yes, there will be decent D options available in the draft as well, just not sure any that have the upside of AP. Maybe I will just flip a coin, but my original thought was that given my team and contender status, I stick with Boyle.