Poll: 2012 Rookie of the Year

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2012 Rookie of the year.

Dobber Sports Genius

Much crazier suggestions that Huberdeau, Vincent Vega!

Quite frankly, the field is pretty wide open.

Who is the goaltending surprise? (Markstrom type)

Who is the blueline surprise? (Gragnani type) (Cowan type)

A guy like Luke Adam (crowded Buffalo front) could step forward... various Perreault/Morin types out there...

It seems to be as open a field as we've entertained in a while. Already RNH has essentially been ruled out and usually the 1st overall is the odds on favourite.

Dobber Sports Novice

I'll throw my hat in Landeskog's corner as well (although I might have a slight bias since I have him as a prospect).

The opportunity will be there, and there was just something about COL last season that screamed intentional tanking.

Duchene's first 41 games: 40 pts. Last 39 games: 27 pts
    Stastny's first 39 games: 36 pts. Last 35 games: 21 pts

Landeskog will play with one of these guys and I don't expect to see such a drop off in the second half of the upcoming season. Sure, there are a lot of other factor's such as Varlamov's health, but I have a gut feeling that COL will be fighting for a playoff spot this season (probably just missing getting into the dance).

Runners up will be 2 of RNH, Larsson, Schenn

Dobber Sports Monster

I am going with Landeskog for reasons already mentioned. I also think Smith will be in the mix, just gut feeling he'll get much more time in the " D " than alot of us think, whether it be injury or his gameplayer, whichever. Big things coming from Smith.

Dobber Sports Padawan

There have been some great posts.

I tried to stay away from kids from this year's draft because it is usually someone that was drafted and waited the extra year or two. Skinner and Kane are a couple of exceptions.
    Huberdeau will most likely be sent back to Junior IMO. I honestly believe Tallon is looking for the 1st overall pick and why not give the kid some extra time if they don't need him yet. (Bjugstad, Howden etc.....)

I believe RNH will eventually be the best player but I don't think it will show next year.

Landeskog has the physique to play but I don't see him putting up a ton of points yet.

Like DY said, I only had 10 spots and you can see the results. Very close with the majority picking someone other than the 9 I listed.

Right now I believe Landeskog might be right up there with Nino if I had put him on the list.

Keep voting.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I was under the impression Charlie Coyle was playing in the NCAA, meaning he hasn't signed a pro-contract which means he can't even try out for the NHL team. From what I understood he'd have to quit the college route in order to have any chance of this NHL this year. I kinda pegged him as dominating this year in the NCAA, then in the NHL in 2012-13.

A guy that I'm pretty high on (may not be 2011-12 though) is Mark McNeill. If I had to peg a sleeper pick, it would be someone from this year's draft surprising most of everyone.

Banned

Mika Zibanejad and Sven Bartschi are two sleepers from this year's draft.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

No love for Landeskog? .... He's my "Other-please post pick"
    GMHL Dynasty
    14 Team H2H 27-Pro/20-Farm
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 7BN, 4IR+
    G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG,SOG, HITS, BLKS, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Mike Ribeiro, Patrik Elias, Tyler Johnson, Stephen Weiss, Steve Ott, Jarret Stoll
    LW: Gabriel Landeskog, Mats Zuccarello, Marcus Johansson, RJ Umberger, Matt Cooke, Justin Abdelkader
    RW: Troy Brouwer, Daniel Alfredsson, Erik Cole, Shane Doan, Jackob Silfverberg
    D: Dustin Byfuglien, Brent Seabrook, Joni Pitkanen, Erik Gudbranson, Matt Carle, Dmitri Orlov, Seth Jones, Hampus Lindholm
    G: Henrik Lundqvist, Anton Khudobin, Jason LaBarbera, Devan Dubnyk, Anders Lindback

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Princeton View Post
    Huberdeau will most likely be sent back to Junior IMO. I honestly believe Tallon is looking for the 1st overall pick and why not give the kid some extra time if they don't need him yet. (Bjugstad, Howden etc.....)
    That's a reasonable assessment, although Florida has some serious competition for the 1st overall pick. I mentioned Huberdeau because the first two or three overall picks often make the team right after their draft and normally are a decent shot for being an impact rookie.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Can anyone clear this up.

For Calder Eligibility, you need to played no more than 25 games previously in any single season, nor have played in more than six games in two separate preceding seasons in any major professional league.

Do playoff games count? Cause if not, I think Blake Geoffrion has an outside chance here.
    GMHL Dynasty
    14 Team H2H 27-Pro/20-Farm
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 7BN, 4IR+
    G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG,SOG, HITS, BLKS, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Mike Ribeiro, Patrik Elias, Tyler Johnson, Stephen Weiss, Steve Ott, Jarret Stoll
    LW: Gabriel Landeskog, Mats Zuccarello, Marcus Johansson, RJ Umberger, Matt Cooke, Justin Abdelkader
    RW: Troy Brouwer, Daniel Alfredsson, Erik Cole, Shane Doan, Jackob Silfverberg
    D: Dustin Byfuglien, Brent Seabrook, Joni Pitkanen, Erik Gudbranson, Matt Carle, Dmitri Orlov, Seth Jones, Hampus Lindholm
    G: Henrik Lundqvist, Anton Khudobin, Jason LaBarbera, Devan Dubnyk, Anders Lindback

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TwoPuckCanuck View Post
    Can anyone clear this up.

For Calder Eligibility, you need to played no more than 25 games previously in any single season, nor have played in more than six games in two separate preceding seasons in any major professional league.

Do playoff games count? Cause if not, I think Blake Geoffrion has an outside chance here.
    He is eligible, playoff games don't count.

I will add Colin Greening into the mix as well, as he is Calder eligible by 1 game.