Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Nikita Filatov

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
    That being said, his chances of ever breaking 70 pts are pretty bleak right now.
    How so? He's still a kid, gifted as hell and going somewhere with an opportunity to play for someone who isn't terminally stupid.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    How so? He's still a kid, gifted as hell and going somewhere with an opportunity to play for someone who isn't terminally stupid.
    The fact that Filatov burned multiple bridges in Columbus speaks volumes to me. Sure, Hitchcock doesn't play rookies a ton, but Scott Arniel also soured on Filatov very quickly.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Pro

Dont believe me? What did Umberger tweet about that trade? Just look at his AHL performance. Not promising. Poor man's Zherdev. Sure there is a chance but he's got one season to show something or its KHL time.

Banned

Dont believe me? What did Umberger tweet about that trade? Just look at his AHL performance. Not promising. Poor man's Zherdev. Sure there is a chance but he's got one season to show something or its KHL time.
    He's not close to being Zherdev in terms of attitude and work ethic problems. Zherdev was awful.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by angus View Post
    The fact that Filatov burned multiple bridges in Columbus speaks volumes to me. Sure, Hitchcock doesn't play rookies a ton, but Scott Arniel also soured on Filatov very quickly.
    I think the facts in your recent tweets speak more volumes.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

It isn't a matter of believing you - I am just asking you to tell me why you think that. Were you this sure when St. Louis was dumped by the Flames or Briere by the Yotes?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

What did Arniel say about Filatov, I missed that?

Dobber Sports Pro

It isn't a matter of believing you - I am just asking you to tell me why you think that. Were you this sure when St. Louis was dumped by the Flames or Briere by the Yotes?
    Well, there's always a chance. List all the players that failed (aside from the fact St LOuis & Briere arent russian and dont have questionable attitudes). You'll see what I mean. Then there is opportunity cost of not dumping him for something. Fact is, the clock is ticking fast for Filatov. You could keep him or recoup your losses by trading him. Not a bad gamble by Ottawa but in fantasy leagues, he's a risk.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Not a bad gamble by Ottawa but in fantasy leagues, he's a risk.
    Absolutely agree there. I wouldn't pay a lot to get him, but most owners want a fair bit for him because they are kinda sitting in the Ottawa seat now.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

What did Arniel say about Filatov, I missed that?
    http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...an-enigma.html

I think the fact that he failed to crack the top six (hell, the top 12) under a different coach says a lot too.

I'm probably biased because I have never really liked his upside - he lacks hockey sense. It is incredibly hard - I'd argue close to impossible - to suddenly develop a head for the game. Natural abilities can only go so far.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...an-enigma.html

I think the fact that he failed to crack the top six (hell, the top 12) under a different coach says a lot too.

I'm probably biased because I have never really liked his upside - he lacks hockey sense. It is incredibly hard - I'd argue close to impossible - to suddenly develop a head for the game. Natural abilities can only go so far.
    Well you make at least a part of your living assessing the value of NHLers for fantasy hockey purposes - so the bias is not likely whimsical.

I think there is still a possibility for him to make it. He is young and some success early in his stint with the Sens could create a confidence that gets him to stop squeezing the stick.

We shall see I guess. At least he has a shot at it.

Thanks for the response.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I agree - he isn't a bust at this point. Young offensive players need to be given a long leash to make mistakes.

Michael Grabner is a great example - he was notorious in VCR for poor training camps, as he tried to show he could defend and play physical. It is what got him waived out of FLA. In NYI, he focused on his strengths - speed and shooting the puck every single chance he could. Filatov needs to focus more on his strengths and less on his weaknesses.

Ottawa is a great situation for Filatov because:

a) they are young and rebuilding
    b) the LW/RW depth is poor
    c) like him or not, Spezza is an elite playmaking center.