Thread: Gunnarrson on the top unit?

Dobber Sports Star

Default Gunnarrson on the top unit?

I grabbed Gunnarsson off the wire (dropped Brett Clark), and was hoping to get some opinions on his role next year.

My take: Can't see the Leafs doing much in the way of free agency to address their D corps, so I see Gunnar and Phaneuf as the top PP pairing heading into next year.

Gunnarsson played massive minutes down the stretch as well as locking down a spot on the top PP, where he was putting up almost PPG numbers. A little surprised to see him ranked so low by Dobber (90th).

I remember Greg Millen saying how the Leafs look to have found Kaberle's replacement in Gunnar, and I tend to agree.

I see him putting up 45 points next year with room to grow.

Am I close?
    Last edited by loco man; May 24, 2011 at 10:46 AM.
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Administrator

Last season he was excellent and this season he was great after the Kaberle trade increased his ice time. IMO he's another 40-point candidate to look into for the next few years.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Last season he was excellent and this season he was great after the Kaberle trade increased his ice time. IMO he's another 40-point candidate to look into for the next few years.
    I agree with this. Unless the Leafs shake things up and pick up someone to take his place, Gunnarsson is a lock for 40 pts (7-33)

Administrator

Another thing to consider, he has performed well defensively in both of his NHL seasons so he is far from a spe******t with up-and-down ice time. Check out the Forecaster depth chart for the Maple Leafs (http://www.forecaster.ca/thestar/hoc...hchart.cgi?Tor). They usually do a good job sorting out the players in terms of current ice time per game. The depth chart bodes well for Gunnarsson as both Lashoff and Lebda pose no threat for his offensive minutes.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by loco man View Post
    I grabbed Gunnarsson off the wire (dropped Brett Clark), and was hoping to get some opinions on his role next year.

My take: Can't see the Leafs doing much in the way of free agency to address their D corps, so I see Gunnar and Phaneuf as the top PP pairing heading into next year.

Gunnarsson played massive minutes down the stretch as well as locking down a spot on the top PP, where he was putting up almost PPG numbers. A little surprised to see him ranked so low by Dobber (90th).

I remember Greg Millen saying how the Leafs look to have found Kaberle's replacement in Gunnar, and I tend to agree.

I see him putting up 45 points next year with room to grow.

Am I close?

Gunnarsson has been a nice addition and has exceeded expectations to date. Last year he was good for 20 points so a double is a bit much. 25 to 30 points this year is a more realistic target.

Not sure Gunnarsson plays with Phanuef either. Last year Aulie had that spot and I expect the season to start that way again. Gunnarsson will be paired with Schenn.

You should also keep in mind that Gunnarsson might be part of a trade package to get that center Burke is after if they can't get Richards. Leafs have two quality prospects in Gardiner and Blacker that make moving Gunnarsson acceptable. Don't rule out Burke picking up a UFA like Wisnewski, Jovanovski, Brewer, or even Markov. That would impact negatively on Gunnarsson.

Good pick up but I think he is not ready yet for 40 point seasons.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by kbooks View Post
    You should also keep in mind that Gunnarsson might be part of a trade package to get that center Burke is after if they can't get Richards. Leafs have two quality prospects in Gardiner and Blacker that make moving Gunnarsson acceptable. Don't rule out Burke picking up a UFA like Wisnewski, Jovanovski, Brewer, or even Markov. That would impact negatively on Gunnarsson.

Good pick up but I think he is not ready yet for 40 point seasons.
    As a note to this, I agree he is likely to be part of a package dealt to acquire an center if Richards isn't the man. And if Richards is the man, he could end up playing the point with Phaneuf on PP1. Gunnarsson with Schenn/Blacker/Gardiner/Lashoff on PP2 seems reasonable (and considering that PP2 unit comprised of Kulemin-Grabovski-MacArthur, not too bad).

I would also not rule out the signing of another FA d-man, as Burke always mentions something along the lines of "you can never have too much defencemen".

But if the situation stays as it is, and the 1st line center would end up being someone other then Richards and Gunnarsson isn't traded, then Gunnarsson would be my pick for 1st PP and would probably hover around the 35 point mark next season. Gunnarsson also had 11 of his points after FEB 26th. That's 21 games. Also a 40 point pace. He also had a nice streak going near the end there (7 in 8 games, then finished the season pointless in 2 games). So I don't think that 40 is unreasonable to expect long term.
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    24 team H2H (W-:L) Dynasty - 3C/LW/RW/F, 6D, 1G.
    G/A/(+/-)/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/GWG/HIT/BLK/FOW
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

NHL Cap + 1M salary cap (AAV)

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Nights View Post
    As a note to this, I agree he is likely to be part of a package dealt to acquire an center if Richards isn't the man. And if Richards is the man, he could end up playing the point with Phaneuf on PP1. Gunnarsson with Schenn/Blacker/Gardiner/Lashoff on PP2 seems reasonable (and considering that PP2 unit comprised of Kulemin-Grabovski-MacArthur, not too bad).

I would also not rule out the signing of another FA d-man, as Burke always mentions something along the lines of "you can never have too much defencemen".

But if the situation stays as it is, and the 1st line center would end up being someone other then Richards and Gunnarsson isn't traded, then Gunnarsson would be my pick for 1st PP and would probably hover around the 35 point mark next season. Gunnarsson also had 11 of his points after FEB 26th. That's 21 games. Also a 40 point pace. He also had a nice streak going near the end there (7 in 8 games, then finished the season pointless in 2 games). So I don't think that 40 is unreasonable to expect long term.
    I'm not convinced Gunnarsson has much value as a trade chip right now. Not until he starts producing. What else are the Leafs expecting to throw at the wall in order to land a true #1 center?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Gunnarsson had some trouble early last season but I think it was coming in part from poor plays by Komisarek. Gunn is a good D but not Markov-like to cover for Komi blunders. He played much better with Schenn when he just had to think about playing a solid game. I think 40-45 could be possible if Toronto don't get a guy like Pitkanen, Wisniewski, or Ehrhoff and he plays on the first PP unit. He could be a great buy low candidate. You will have more hindsight after the UFAs

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by edesjardins View Post
    I think 40-45 could be possible if Toronto don't get a guy like Pitkanen, Wisniewski, or Ehrhoff and he plays on the first PP unit. You will have more hindsight after the UFAs
    Fairytale is over and Gunn will take a shot at #5-6 spot again. He won't see top minutes on the PP. Expect 25-30 points next year.

Dion Phaneuf
    Luke Schenn
    John-Michael Liles
    Cody Franson
    Carl Gunnarsson
    Mike Komisarek
    Keith Aulie
    16 teams, 14 keepers, weekly HTH, 13 F, 6 D and 2 G.
    $100 million salary cap based on NHL real salary.
    G/A: 1 pt W: 2pt

F : Duchene, D Sedin, Spezza, Hudler, E Kane, Pominville, Plekanec, Zuccarello, Koivu, Macarthur, Cammalleri, Nelson, Rakell, Spooner, Etem
    D : Ekman-Larsson, Pietrangelo, Vatanen, Wiercioch, Murray, Zadorov, McCabe
    G : Fleury, Elliott, Darling

Administrator

He thrives when given ice time and with Liles in the picture that hurts a lot. However I disagree with those who put Franson ahead of Gunanrsson on the depth chart. Franson is still very limited as an overall player while Gunnarsson can contribute at both ends of the rink.

Phaneuf
    Schenn
    Liles
    Gunnarsson
    Aulie
    Franson
    Komisarek (waive/demote is a possibility, meanwhile Jeff Finger can give him a tour of the Marlies' facility and show him where to collect the paycheck)

Dobber Sports Wizard

He thrives when given ice time and with Liles in the picture that hurts a lot. However I disagree with those who put Franson ahead of Gunanrsson on the depth chart. Franson is still very limited as an overall player while Gunnarsson can contribute at both ends of the rink.

Phaneuf
    Schenn
    Liles
    Gunnarsson
    Aulie
    Franson
    Komisarek (waive/demote is a possibility, meanwhile Jeff Finger can give him a tour of the Marlies' facility and show him where to collect the paycheck)
    Overall I agree with your opinion about Franson. But Toronto didn't bring him in to be a shutdown guy, they brought him in to help the PP.

Gunnar should still get some points, probably around 25. But Franson will get the PP time over him which is what will limit Gunnar's points.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    Overall I agree with your opinion about Franson. But Toronto didn't bring him in to be a shutdown guy, they brought him in to help the PP.

Gunnar should still get some points, probably around 25. But Franson will get the PP time over him which is what will limit Gunnar's points.
    Unless something changes I see Phaneuf/Liles and Gunnarsson/Franson as the PP pairs. So Gunnarsson and Franson won't step on each other's toes, they'll be playing together. I actually like the fit with Gunnar setting up Franson's shot.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Unless something changes I see Phaneuf/Liles and Gunnarsson/Franson as the PP pairs. So Gunnarsson and Franson won't step on each other's toes, they'll be playing together. I actually like the fit with Gunnar setting up Franson's shot.
    It's definitely a possibility. Although like someone mentioned in an earlier post Connolly played the point a lot in Buffalo.

I guess the safest way to play this is expect 25 points from Gunnar and treat him like nothing more than that. But realize there is an opportunity for him to surprise you.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar