Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: D. Byfuglien vs S. Weber

Dobber Sports Genius

Here, I comprise all my rankings for next year at the end of the season and then tweak modestly in the fall to accomadate any off-season chages etc. This is from my own personal lists I use if you want to see where I peg Byfuglien and Weber relative to others.

Top D

1.) Doughty
    2.) Letang
    3.) Byfuglien
    4.) Visnovsky/Fowler depending on when you're looking to win
    5.) Yandle
    6.) Orlov
    7.) Weber
    8.) Keith
    9.) Pietrangelo
    10.) Karlsson
    11.) Goligoski
    12.) Subban
    13.) Enstrom
    14.) McBain
    15.) Shattenkirk
    16.) Carlson
    17.) Green
    18.) Streit
    19.) Burns
    20.) Boyle
    21.) Myers
    22.) E.Johnson
    23.) Whitney
    24.) Chara
    25.) Ehrhoff
    26.) J.Johnson
    27.) Kulikov

If PHI were to land any sort of serious D option they would be top 15 automatic, possibly could reacquire Pitkanen to where he'd be in 10-15 range on that list. Based on how D produce the offense in front of them matters considerably and there is no such thing as beyond a 55-60 point D based solely on skill-set in the modern NHL to me. Bogosian if he ever finds himself in a better situation is top 20 and a wild card is Taormina both short an long-term as PP with Parise-Kovalchuk-Zajac (and possibly Tedenby) he could do some very serious damage from up top. This would be my 30 D.

Orlov Karlsson McBain Doughty Yandle are the top 5 in terms of raw offensive talent from the D position (Fowler and Pietrangelo are right after these 5) and Byfuglien is right there as well he just plays his own unique style of game, sort of like a "rover" (ie; pseduo-Forward/Defenseman) that no one else plays as opposed to the more traditional highly skilled offensive-defenseman (ie, Orlov, Karlsson, McBain) or highly offensive skilled all-around defenseman (ie; Doughty and Yandle) and he's got the most potent shot out of anyone in the game. I think both him and Weber are very good and even similar in alot of ways, but I think Byfuglien is just as strong if not stronger at all of Weber's assets and with 350 SOG he will never not produce below 15G-50+ regardless of his environment so he is better to me, particularlywhen tacking on the PIM's as well. ATL/WPG is an up and coming club so he is not getting his #'s inflated unlike with guys like Letang who are not more skilled than some of the other options on the list, but could very well begin to once the Kane's, Burmistrov's etc.. start to bust out in the near future so I like his upward mobility alot as well. This is how I see D in general moving forward on my end.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by ridinryan44 View Post
    If you take Buff over Weber I will laugh in your face... literally.... see you this weekend! haha
    I was gonna make a snide remark about getting the last laugh, you know, since I crushed your hopes and dreams in the pool this year... but since it's your berfday tomorrow I thought I would restrain myself
    Last edited by Buck Fush; June 1, 2011 at 2:31 PM. Reason: I'm a bad friend.
    Dynasty - $100/yr buy-in - YEAR 8 - $100M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C - Crosby, Malkin, Getzlaf
    LW - Pavelski, Domi
    RW - Seguin, Perry
    D - Letang, OEL, Carlson, Hamilton, J. Schultz
    Util - M. Koivu, Aho, Spooner, Atkinson
    G - Rask, Quick

BENCH
    Brassard, Bjugstad, Jagr, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Buchnevich, Ekblad, Beaulieu, Severson, Lundqvist
    PROSPECT
    Puljujarvi, Boeser, Barzal, Dal Colle, Fiala, Sergachev, Lindell

FOUR TIME DEFENDING CHAMPION

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Fush View Post
    I was gonna make a snide remark about getting the last laugh, you know, since I crushed your hopes and dreams in the pool this year... but since it's your berfday tomorrow I thought I would restrain myself
    hahahahahah, I was gonna say "why did you edit this thread" then I saw that you already wrote your reason... classic!
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson