Thread: Pengwin7's 2010-2011 Defensemen Rankings (Draft Version)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Pengwin7's 2010-2011 Defensemen Rankings (Draft Version)

Mathematical Model based on H2H league with 6 categories: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG
    Scores are based on actual 2010-2011 NHL Statistics.

Defensemen are given a score (10/10 = typical maximum**) in each category.
    Scoring:
    *G. 50G = 10pts. 25G = 5pts. 0G = 0pts. [AVG Top 120 Fs = 24G, Top 60D = 8G]
    *A. 70A = 10pts. 35A = 5pts. 0A = 0pts. [AVG Top 120 Fs = 33A, Top 60D = 29A]
    *+/-. +30 = 10pts. EVEN = 5pts. -30 = 0pts. [AVG Top 120 Fs & Top 60D = +6]
    *PIM. 120PIM = 10pts. 60PIM = 5pts. 0PIM = 0pts. [AVG Top 120 Fs & Top 60D = 55 PIM]
    *PPP. 40PPP = 10pts. 20PPP = 5pts. 0PPP = 0pts. [AVG Top 120 Fs = 17 PPP, Top 60D = 15PPP]
    *SOG. 400SOG = 10pts. 200SOG = 5pts. 0 = 0pts. [AVG Top 120 Fs = 200 SOG, Top 60D = 150 SOG]

Notes:
    *Scoring is the same as for forwards. A defensemen's score can be compared directly to forward's scores (see Forwards threads).
    *In most categories, max score = 10, min score = 0.
    *In PIM, the max score = 16.5 (for Theo Peckham's 198 PIM)**.

Discussion:
    *This is a work in progress - open to discussion.
    *It is a little slow at work these days.

Hope you enjoy.
    Comments welcome!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Dobber Sports Demi-God

re: PIM.
    I expect that some people will find the PIM scores to be inflated.

Is it really accurate for Theo Peckham to get 16.5pts for his 198PIM?
    It is debatable, but I think that if a player gets 3.3x the average PIM output (60PIM), then he should get a score of 3.3x the average score. (3.3x5 = 16.5).

FWIW, I believe this is real value in this H2H format!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Interesting and intriguing - without putting too much thought into what you have done here I think your rankings are more applicable to roto scoring than they are to H2H. If I was going to use your numbers for H2H I think I might throw out the high and the low category for each player and use the remaining 4 to derive a rating - I think I would have more confidence in the resulting rankings.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    re: PIM.
    I expect that some people will find the PIM scores to be inflated.

Is it really accurate for Theo Peckham to get 16.5pts for his 198PIM?
    It is debatable, but I think that if a player gets 3.3x the average PIM output (60PIM), then he should get a score of 3.3x the average score. (3.3x5 = 16.5).

FWIW, I believe this is real value in this H2H format!
    I think you are right on that players that are way, way above average in a stat should be able to get "ranking points" or whatever you want to call them outside of the normal 1-10. In H2H, if a player can almost single-handedly win you a cat many weeks, his value is really that high, regardless if it's goals, PIMs, or air kisses.
    H2H 10 GMs Keeper: keep up to 4 at cost of draft pick (round) G, A,+/-,Blocks,SOG,PPP; Wins,GAA,Sv% Start 3C 3RW 3LW 4D 2G, weekly starts
    C: Еric Staal   Henrik Zetterberg (LW)   Matt Duchene   Brayden Point   Danny Heinen (C/LW/RW)
    LW: Johnny Gaudreau   Taylor Hall   Jonathan Huberdeau   Nick Schmaltz (C/LW)
    RW: Никита Kucherov   Blake Wheeler   Jakub Voráček   Teuvo Teräväinen (LW/RW)
    D: Shea Weber   Dustin Byfuglien   Keith Yandle   Seth Jones
    G: Ben Bishop   Jake Allen   Martin Jones

Dobber Sports Genius

I think this list is projected better than the forwards one. I am curious to see if Buff can live up to it though. He's good, but I don't know if he can sustain that kind of dominance. Eventually teams will know what to do and it still depends on who's around him. Having Enstrom is mighty helpful.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Padawan

I like it and it is a reasonable way to score players. Thanks for sharing!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Interesting and intriguing - without putting too much thought into what you have done here I think your rankings are more applicable to roto scoring than they are to H2H. If I was going to use your numbers for H2H I think I might throw out the high and the low category for each player and use the remaining 4 to derive a rating - I think I would have more confidence in the resulting rankings.
    There are lots of things one could do with these numbers.

The +/- statistic is very volatile (like a goalie's SO stat).
    Ex#1. Kovalchuk is ranked #100.
    This is because he finished -26. -26 gives him a +/- score = 0.7.
    However, say he finished at +10. +10 gives him a +/- score = 6.7. (Eriksson)

The extra +6pts would add 1.0 to his "Base10" score. (+6pts/6cats)
    Instead of having a score of 4.12 (100th best forward)
    he would've had a score 0f 5.12 (42nd best forward).

The PIM could also be re-ratioed and based on 240 PIM = 10pts.
    Everybody's PIM value would be cut in half.
    Ex. #2. Konopka is ranked #39.
    If we halved PIM values, Konopka would go from a PIM10 score of 25.6 to a PIM10 score of 12.8.
    This would give him an overall "Base10" score of only 3.05.
    He would fall out of the top 150 forwards... likely.

There is a lot of mathematical interpretation required to extract value from this model. Use whichever categories you like and feel free to ratio players for a full healthy season!

Dobber Sports Newbie

I'm always trying to put together statistic as a way to rank my players and players that I want to draft. There are always more equations that can be added to make the results as accurate as possible.

If I could make a suggest. This suggest will undoubtedly add a lot of time during the compilation period.

You said that your values were based on 2010-2011 statistic. Those stats that you are using to compare players is a little biased because some players have played more games then others (injuries). If you could somehow incorporate a per game value and then compare that number to a new base number as you have done.

All of a sudden you have to start thinking about a minimum number of games played, and some way to subtract value from players final ranking value (or add) based on their durability.

Just an idea. Great work though!!