Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dump/trade Voynov for RMurphy?

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    I don't like waiting years on defensemen so I usually refrain from drafting guys like Murphy. People might think I am crazy but I would stick with Voynov and then try to trade for Murphy 2-3 years from now when his owners have become frustrated from waiting on him.
    I was ok with your post until this point. I"m not sure if this makes sense unless you believe Murphy will regress. Like, I"m pretty sure Ryan Ellis owners are very happy, and it's been two years since he was drafted...

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by TML View Post
    I was ok with your post until this point. I"m not sure if this makes sense unless you believe Murphy will regress. Like, I"m pretty sure Ryan Ellis owners are very happy, and it's been two years since he was drafted...
    My point was that players like Murphy and Ellis are only making the NHL if they can prove that their skills translate to the NHL (because their defensive game isn't going to be the reason they get there).

There is a lot of risk in that and I am not sure it's worth it when you have to wait 3+ years for them to arrive to start their NHL careers. It's not like they are going to step right into the NHL and post 50-60 point seasons as rookies either. Development takes time (especially with offensive players who need to work on their defensive games).

It's going to take time for them to get that point and the wait could be long....1-2 more OHL seasons (for Murphy at least) + 1-2 AHL development years + 1-2 NHL years as they get accustomed to the game. We are talking a wait of 3 years (best case) to 6+ years for a defenseman to start becoming "productive" for us fantasy owners.

I would rather have the prospect already a few years along in the development and showing signs of success at the pro-level.

Murphy isn't a Cam Fowler or John Carlson who will step right into the NHL. He'll need some development time

The Great One

...Like, I"m pretty sure Ryan Ellis owners are very happy, and it's been two years since he was drafted...
    Are they really? I suspect some are getting impatient and Ellis could be acquired for less today than when he was drafted. And if Ellis owners still have to wait another 2 or 3 years for him to put up decent fantasy numbers (totally not out of the question given Nashville's depth), I bet Ellis' value decreases with each year he doesn't "make it".

If Murphy ends up in Columbus, Florida, or Ottawa, I foresee a very similar progression.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I know it's unlikely Murphy makes the jump this year but how many people thought Fowler would've? Sure ANA was desperate for dmen but still. I know they're two very different players but I'd love to hear the differences from on OHL fan on Fowler vs Murphy as well as why Murphy will not make the jump before he is 20 when Fowler did.

Also, I don't think Columbus would be TERRIBLE for Murphy. They have talent up front, they just don't have the track record of turning out high-scoring prospects but the potential is still there.
    12 tm pts only dynasty
    F (count 12): Bedard, Boldy, Beniers, Cooley, Michkov, Norris, Landeskog, Rossi, Reichel, Pelletier, Tomasino, Foerster, Bordeleau, Lysell, Wahlstrom, Bourque, Stankoven, Nazar, Othmann, Ostlund, O.Moore
    D (count 6): McAvoy, Kylington, Byram, Boqvist, Perunovich, Lundkvist, L.Hughes, Zellweger, Morrow
    G (count 2): Askarov, Wallstedt, Wolf, Kochetkov, Levi
    3 round draft and 1 waiver per team per year

The Great One

Fowler is a better skater than Murphy, he is bigger than Murphy, and he doesn't have the same defensive-shortcoming as Murphy. Murphy is an offensive force. He has a higher offensive ceiling than Fowler, but his game isn't quite as well-rounded. Fowler is obviously not a defensive stalwart (see his -25 from this past year), but he is still further developed than Murphy. Plus, like it or not, Fowler was rushed and definitely struggled at times this year. His numbers are very good (40 pts), but on a power play with Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, Selanne, Visnovsky, etc., I could probably put up close to 40 pts!

JK, of course. I don't want to downplay Fowler's very good rookie season. He definitely exceeded expectations. I just don't necessarily expect Murphy to be given the same opportunity, regardless of who drafts him. And even if given the same opportunity, I don't think he will do as well as Fowler for the reasons I mentioned.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Makes sense, thanks for that. Though I was under the impression that Murphy had lightning quick speed from the backend whereas Fowler was more of the silky smooth type.
    12 tm pts only dynasty
    F (count 12): Bedard, Boldy, Beniers, Cooley, Michkov, Norris, Landeskog, Rossi, Reichel, Pelletier, Tomasino, Foerster, Bordeleau, Lysell, Wahlstrom, Bourque, Stankoven, Nazar, Othmann, Ostlund, O.Moore
    D (count 6): McAvoy, Kylington, Byram, Boqvist, Perunovich, Lundkvist, L.Hughes, Zellweger, Morrow
    G (count 2): Askarov, Wallstedt, Wolf, Kochetkov, Levi
    3 round draft and 1 waiver per team per year

Banned

Murphy does a lot of skating from his own end and just rifling it past the goalie once he gets over the blue line. Don't know if he will be able to do that against NHL goalies.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by deantime419 View Post
    Makes sense, thanks for that. Though I was under the impression that Murphy had lightning quick speed from the backend whereas Fowler was more of the silky smooth type.
    well, we'd have to get MT319 involved to truly assess their skating abilities.

Both are great skaters, but I think Fowler might be one of the best I've ever seen. Murphy is more about speed and Fowler more about technique and effortless positioning. He can skate backwards better than some forwards can skate forwards.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Murphy does a lot of skating from his own end and just rifling it past the goalie once he gets over the blue line. Don't know if he will be able to do that against NHL goalies.
    That is pretty much what I think. Murphy's style works in the CHL. I don't know if he can do what he does in the CHL in the NHL. I worry that his game won't transition. He is very dynamic, but too aggressive and so one-dimensional that I worry he can't adapt.

Banned

You can teach the defensive side of the game, it's offensive instincts you can't teach. I think some of the things he does in the OHL won't work in the N, but I still think he'll be a great player. Don't really think he will automatically become the #1 prospect once he is drafted like angus believes but he has great potential and I'll take him over Voynov.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    Are they really? I suspect some are getting impatient and Ellis could be acquired for less today than when he was drafted. And if Ellis owners still have to wait another 2 or 3 years for him to put up decent fantasy numbers (totally not out of the question given Nashville's depth), I bet Ellis' value decreases with each year he doesn't "make it".

If Murphy ends up in Columbus, Florida, or Ottawa, I foresee a very similar progression.
    I can see owners in smaller leagues that don't have big farms, getting frustrated with him, but when he was drafted it was expected that he was going to take this long. So if an owner did draft him knoning that, I doubt that he gets easier to trade for every year he doesn't "make it" as his development is progressing very well. One of the best players in junior this year...

The Great One

I can see owners in smaller leagues that don't have big farms, getting frustrated with him, but when he was drafted it was expected that he was going to take this long. So if an owner did draft him knoning that, I doubt that he gets easier to trade for every year he doesn't "make it" as his development is progressing very well. One of the best players in junior this year...
    well, as long as people draft Murphy knowing the same thing is likely to happen with him. People should not draft Murphy expecting him to be a Fowler or Myers because he will not have an immediate impact in the NHL.