Thread: Pronger Suspended 1 game

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Pronger Suspended 1 game

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...03_135415_3956

Once again Pronger is being suspended.

***forgive the late edit, but this is my first post on this esteemed forum so I wanted to at least voice my opinion***

The referees have once again shown a lack of fortitude and consistency when calling penalties, especially against star players.

It was a penalty, 2 minutes for sure, 5 minutes would be no surprise... But a suspension?

The good news for Ottawa is that Anaheim will be without their most dominant and physical player, the bad news is that Anaheim was able to rally after Pronger\'s las suspension (questionable hit on Holmstrom) to beat Detroit last round.

If this truly was a suspension, should he not be gone for 2, 3 or 5 games as it is his 2nd suspension and 2nd \"blow to the head\" that the league loves to crack down upon?

I think the refs blew it, the linesmen missed it, the league took a weak , try to be fair to all parties stance, and we the fans have yet another confusing, aggravating, circumstance that further detracts from what one was a potentially fantastic Stanley Cup final.

Post edited by: Chuk, at: 2007/06/03 14:22

Post edited by: Chuk, at: 2007/06/03 14:23

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re:Pronger Suspended 1 game

Well deserved, and could have possibly gotten more
    12 Team H2H (Daily) - Keep 10 + 5(Farm)
    4C/3LW/3RW/4D/3G/4Bench/3IR
    G A Pts +/- STP GWG SOG/ W Sv% GAA SHO
    Centers:
    A. Barkov (IR), C. McDavid, J. Carter, Y. Gourde(LW), N. Paul(LW), C. Stephenson
    LWs:
    F. Forsberg, J. Guentzel, A. Duclair(RW), E. Haula(C), A. Killorn
    RWs:
    N. Ehlers(LW), V. Tarasenko, F. Gaudreau(C), V. Podkolzin
    D:
    T. Chabot, C. Makar, M. Dumba, OEL, N. Schmidt
    G:
    S. Bobrovky, T. Demko, J. Gibson(IR), A. Stolarz(IR)
    Farm:
    J. Annunen, A. Kaliyev, A. Lundell, F. Lysell, M. Rossi

Dobber Sports Initiate

He deserves more because he now is starting to have a history of head shots. That is not the only call he gets away with. I find the refs let him get away with a lot. He basically stiff armed Alfie on a dump in while standing still, with no call. I know its the cup but lets have some consistency

Dobber Sports Pro

Consistency and lack of backbone are the major problems.

If a referee fails to call a penalty on the ice, especially when it is close to being a suspendible offense, does the NHL have to suspend the player because the ref missed it?

If the answer is YES, then does the league have to follow it\'s own guidelines that a repeat offender (blows to the head), should receive a more severe suspension with each infraction?

You see, if Pronger is guilty then he SHOULD be out for multiple games, if it was a minor/major penalty that the ref missed, then we forget about it and move onto the next game.

To me the NHL has come up with a weak politically correct decision that is bound to affect the outcome of the finals, that Bettman et al. will shrug off as a \"forced to make it\" decision.

Either you stand by your own rules or you do not.
    Two compromises don\'t make a right, it makes 2 bad decisions. Just weak.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

should have been three games. The NHL disciplinary committee proves itself to be a complete joke once again.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

I...am your father.

I agree. If he is suspended, it has to be for multiple games because it is a second offense. Come on!
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I know that all the Ottawa fans \"wish\" the suspension was more. I want Ottawa to win and I know I wanted his sentence to be 5 games.

I think Pronger is just that much bigger then those little forwards (holmstrom,mccamond), and that is why he gets into these situations.

But you have to be held accountable, and one game is better then just 2 minutes for elbowing, Go Sens..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I think one game is fair. One game in a 7 game series is huge. If this was January he surely would have got 3-5 games, but the playoffs have to factor in the decision. When I saw it in live action it was tough to tell what he caught him with or if it was just a case of Mcammond\'s head being the height of Prongers arm. Sure after seeing the replay dozens of times over the day and a half it\'s obvious it was a head shot that needed to be punished. But make the call the second it happened don\'t wait until you see the replay a couple of times and then bash the refs. I know I didn\'t know really what had happened until the replay. If you did then more power to you.

If a ref misses a call the league should have every right to still take action with a suspension. Just my thoughts.
    GWNHL Fantasy Cup Champs 06-07

Dobber Sports Stud

I think that one game is a fair suspension. I also believe that, if the Ducks win, he just pissed away his chances at the Conn Smyth. And if they lose, I\'d like to nominate him for honorary Clown status throughout the 2007-08 NHL season.

But the NHL needs to be more consistent in doling out suspensions, and not just when players get hurt. Cambpell\'s reasoning sounds, to me, like a police officer saying that he\'s only going to issue speeding tickets to offenders who get into accidents. If a guy\'s driving/playing/whatever unsafely, you take them off the road/ice/whatever. Burke may be lobbying for future calls, but he\'s right: Chris Neil should have been suspended as well.
    T.G.

Dobber Sports Expert

I don\'t think Pronger was really in contention for the Conn Smythe - looking at Ducks I would have to put Getzlaf, Pahlsson and Giguere ahead of him. Niedermayer as well.