Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Filatov or Granlund?

Dobber Sports Novice

I own both players. If I had to choose I would go with Grandlund.

As of right now I am excited about Grandlund, he sounds like he is NHL ready now. This is from little bits I have read from his teammates including Ville Peltonen an ex-nhl player. This is not just scouts talking about potential this is coming from a person who made it to the NHL. Peltonen talks about Grandlund being very special and Minnesota is a very lucky team and will be happy with Grandlund.

As for Filatov, I am still hopeful for him. I would have traded him away at this point but his value is so low that it is better to keep him and hope for the best. He still has all the tools to be an amazing player, but after this years NHL/AHL season I don't think he will be given a roster spot next year.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

If you are simply looking for production for next season then chose "neither". I wouldn't bank on either of these guys being productive enough next year for you to justify using a roster spot on them. However, I would definitely choose Granlund over Fila-FLOP. Granlund is close to NHL ready and you won't have to wait long for him.

The Great One

I know it seems like I am justifying my stance, but I just don't see Granlund in the NHL next year, but even if he does somehow play I don't think he is ready to be productive. I just feel he'd be better off spending another year in Finland, or at the very least in the AHL. One more year to grow, get stronger, and mature a bit more. I'm not a huge Filatov fan, but I just feel the odds are a bit better for him to be in the NHL next year.

But, agreeing with DY (and as I said in my original post), I'd trade Filatov for whatever I could get. Say someone like Ladd or Setoguchi, for example, would at least be playing in the NHL next year and if they contribute 55 pts, that is better than what Granlund or Filatov will get in the NHL next year. That is if you really only care about next year.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I agree about Granlund Seadawg but I really can't see Filatov being productive either next season. Filatov would need to have some hell of a development over the summer months for him to be productive. Like I said, I wouldnt bank on either guy for next season. Sure, Filatov could get 20 points in 60-65 games but I would rather sacrifice those 20 points for the better prospect in Granlund (whos progress is on an upward projectory, unlike Filatov). Nikita has a lot of maturing to do and the odds are stacked against him at this point. The best chance for Filatov is a trade out of Ohio giving the youngster new opportunities

Dobber Sports Genius

Both have a ton of question marks surrounding them, Filatov has poor skating mechanics and has showcased a lack of mental fitness. He can potentially alleviate that 2nd factor, but the poor skating mechanics aren't ever going away so i'd go boom or bust on Granlund personally without hesitation.

Dobber Sports Legend

If this decision is based solely on next season, I would roll the dice with La Femme Nikita. Pray he has a dynamite camp and makes the big club next year (or gets traded). If we're talking long-term, I want Granlund.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

BTW Granlund was far and away the best player on ice in the game vs Denmark yesterday. Dominant display!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

He did look god yesterday. However it was Denmark. Not a powerhouse by any stretch. However I'd love to see him in NA next year. He's ready for the switch, half a year in the Ahl may be valuable for him. As for filatov maybe my oilers need another small forward. 
    8 teams. . Full keeper. 20 active 8 bench+ prospects
    Pts only. Win=3,SO=3

Sedin Vanek Coutoure
    Pavekski kesler spezza
    BRichards Gallagher Dupuis
    Skinner Desharnais Pacioretty
    Chara Edler
    OEL Boyle
    Hedman Markov
    Ward,Quick
    Atkinson,turris,Versteeg,Huberdeau,Schwartz,rEllis ,kipper,Elliot
    Backlund, granlund,Grigs,Loktionov, Stalock, schenn,coyle,Gardener,saad,Pulkinnen,Lehner,Jmorro ,

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    HPG, I'm basing my opinion on a few factors.

First, and on this part I might be slightly incorrect and wouldn't mind getting some clarification from someone with better knowledge of the situation, but I do believe Granlund hasn't completed his required military service in Finland. I think he still has one more year of service to go. Normally, but not always, players finish their service before coming to NA.

Secondly, as much as Granlund's stats are very good, in the games I have watched him play he still needs to improve his game in some areas. I just don't think he is physically or mentally mature enough to play on the bigger ice surface with bigger, stronger, and faster competition in NA. I know he has been playing against men for a couple of years now, but the competition level between the SM-liiga and the NHL is vastly different.

Lastly, in many interviews going back to last season following the draft, I heard Granlund talk about needing more time to grow and develop his game and he never struck me as being in a hurry to come over here. And that was before he missed so much time this past season to injury. I know he came back strong at the end of the season and had a very good playoff, but playing 39 games is a lot less than the 82 games he'd have to play in the NHL (with a much more demanding travel schedule).

So, I guess part of my rational for not expecting Granlund here next year is based on things I have heard/read and part of it is just a subjective feeling I have after watching him play.

I guess anything is possible, but I`d personally be shocked to see him in North America and even more shocked if he played a full season in the NHL.
    I know it is bad form to quote yourself, but as Dobber just mentioned in his ramblings, Granlund is staying in Finland next year, in part to complete his military service (as I mentioned almost a month ago was a big possibility from what I had heard).

Link: http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/122269664.html