Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Eastern Conf. Finals: (3) BOS vs (5) TBL

Dobber Sports Rookie

Tampa got by a hard working Penguins team that was void of its stars and ran out of gas, and a Capitals team that has proven year after year that it doesn't have the heart to compete in the playoffs. Although they played decent hockey, I don't consider either to be a phenomenal accomplishment, and they relied heavily on goaltending.

In this series the goaltending will even out (or tip in Boston's favor), and Boston's defense is far superior to anything Tampa has faced to this point. Add to that Boston's power forwards that will be harassing a weak tampa defense all series. I don't see how this one can last very long, even without Bergeron fro a game or two.

Have to like the Bruins in 5, maybe 6 if P.B. doesn't play at all.

Banned

I'm amazed at the lack of respect for the B's in this series, those of you saying TB in 4 or 5 need to have your head's examined. Who the hell the TB beat? A decimated Pens team without its superstars and a Caps team that had already rolled over before the series even started. The Bruins on the other hand beat another crappy Habs team with great goaltending and then swept the East Conference favorites and one of the deepest teams in the league. The Bruins have great D and great goaltending and can play a shutdown style with anyone.
    I think its gonna be a hard fought series.

Gimme Boston in 6

Banned

Don't care and won't predict. The only thing I'll predict is this series is gonna be a snoozer and whoever wins it will lose to the West champs.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Don't care and won't predict. The only thing I'll predict is this series is gonna be a snoozer and whoever wins it will lose to the West champs.
    funny, that's exactly what I was thinking.
    The Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League. (Keep 17)
    3C 3LW 3RW 6D 2G 6BE.
    G,A,+-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT; GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV, SV%,SO
    (C) Kopitar, Kuznetsov, O'Reilly, Karlsson, Roslovic, Zacha
    (LW) Ovechkin, Forseberg, Bertuzzi(RW),
    (RW) Rantanen, Bratt(LW), Radulov
    (D) Josi, Burns, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Heiskanen, Dunn, Boqvist
    (G) Gibson, Quick, Hart, Petersen
    (IR) Domi

10 Person Farm: (<200GP for F, <100GP for G)
    (C) Zegras(LW), Bourque
    (LW) Kaliyev(RW)
    (RW) Glass(C), Raymond(LW)
    (D) Power
    (G) Ingram, Knight, Levi, Primeau

Dobber Sports Stud

Boston in 6.

I can't see either team beating San Jose though.
    Go Jets Go

Featured Columnist for the Winnipeg Jets
    http://bleacherreport.com/users/386108-anthony-capocci

Follow for Winnipeg Jets Updates
    www.twitter.com/CapocciJETS

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    I'm amazed at the lack of respect for the B's in this series, those of you saying TB in 4 or 5 need to have your head's examined. Who the hell the TB beat? A decimated Pens team without its superstars and a Caps team that had already rolled over before the series even started. The Bruins on the other hand beat another crappy Habs team with great goaltending and then swept the East Conference favorites and one of the deepest teams in the league. The Bruins have great D and great goaltending and can play a shutdown style with anyone.
    I think its gonna be a hard fought series.

Gimme Boston in 6
    Agreed, especially the way Tim Thomas owned them all season. I know playoffs are different. But predicting a sweep (in particular) either way, given how these two teams are both playing, is kind of mind-boggling. I can't see this going less than six games, whoever wins it.

Bruins in 6. They're just playing too well right now, even without Bergeron to start the series.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
    I can't see either team beating San Jose though.
    Not to make assumptions or anything, right?
    T.G.

Dobber Sports Veteran

According to history it doesn't matter who wins this series. San Jose is the only team so far that has a legit shot at winning the Cup since they haven't played a game 7 in the first or second round. (TAM, BOS and VAN (assuming they win) all went 7 in the 1st round).
    Yahoo 1 Year Leagues:
    G, A, PIM, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 4Bn, 1IR

Banned

just to put it in perspective...Marty St. Lous vs Chara

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    just to put it in perspective...Marty St. Lous vs Chara

Haha! I like that one!

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas0Aequitas View Post
    According to history it doesn't matter who wins this series. San Jose is the only team so far that has a legit shot at winning the Cup since they haven't played a game 7 in the first or second round. (TAM, BOS and VAN (assuming they win) all went 7 in the 1st round).
    Uh... What? I'm a little sleep deprived right now, perhaps you can explain this.

But anyway, the Bruins have to be loving every minute of this Detroit comeback (or at least extension). The longer they have for Bergeron to heal, the better, especially now that Tampa's announced that Gagne will return for game one either way.
    T.G.

Dobber Sports Initiate

So you believe that despite this nice long break both Tampa and Boston are getting because Nashville and Detroit have extended both their series there is no chance because of this stat?
    Depending on how things turn out the most rested team could come out of the east imo.
    GO BRUINS

20 team Keeper - Protect 10
    Dress weekly 8 Fwds 4 D-men 1 Goalie
    Fwds 1pt - gl 1pt - asst
    Dmen 2pt - gl 1pt - asst FWDS & D-Men 1pt PPG / SHG / OTG
    Goalies 3pts-win 2pts-shutout

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Thieving Giraffe View Post
    Uh... What? I'm a little sleep deprived right now, perhaps you can explain this.

But anyway, the Bruins have to be loving every minute of this Detroit comeback (or at least extension). The longer they have for Bergeron to heal, the better, especially now that Tampa's announced that Gagne will return for game one either way.
    In the past 18 years since the new format was introduced a team that has gone to play 7 games in the 1st round (and I believe the 2nd round as well) has not gone on to win a Stanley Cup.
    Yahoo 1 Year Leagues:
    G, A, PIM, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 4Bn, 1IR

Banned

I don't know about the first round, but the Penguins beat the Caps in 7 in Round 2 during their 2009 Cup run.

Dobber Sports Icon

This will be a great series. Goaltending will be tough and I can see many games being low-scoring.

To anyone who says that a sweep either way is out of the question; I point you to Round 2. How many of you picked Philly or Washington getting swept?

I personally believe it will be a long series, 6 or 7 games. Roloson will steal the odd game for Tampa. Hopefully he doesn't manage to steal more than 3. He is the only way I see them getting by the Bs.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Stud

In the past 18 years since the new format was introduced a team that has gone to play 7 games in the 1st round (and I believe the 2nd round as well) has not gone on to win a Stanley Cup.
    Yeah like Ev points out the Pens went 7 in round 2, the Avs did it in 2001 as well, and frankly I don't think the switch from divisional/2-3-2 to conference/2-2-1-1-1 is a meaningful one for this kind of statistic... the right cutoff would be '87 when we switched to best-of-7 in the first round, so throw in the '91 and '92 Pens along with the '89 and '90 Oilers and you've got six of the last 24 Stanley Cup Champions that did it, four of them in the first round.

More importantly, though, statistics like that are really only useful when you're applying them to data sets... they say that the '10 Flyers shouldn't have beaten the Bruins, that Chicago shouldn't have come back from three down to force a game seven this year, and that the Leafs will never, ever win the Cup again.

Okay, so maybe some stats are accurate...
    T.G.