Thread: Bobrovsky, Varlamov or both?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Bobrovsky, Varlamov or both?

For the first league in my signature below, I can keep 9 prospects this summer (defined as under 165 NHL games played for skaters, 100 for goalies).

My No-Brainers: Jamie Benn, Brayden Schenn, Joe Colborne, Tomas Tatar, Erik Karlsson, Jonathan Blum, Jacob Markstrom.

That leave 2 spots for Jeremy Morin, Chris Kreider, Sergei Bobrovsky and Semyon Varlamov.

Goaltending is huge in my league, hard to come by and unpredictable. I just don't know what to do with Bob and Varly. Ideally, I'd like one of them to be my third goalie next season, in case Luongo or Rinne goes down. My plan has been to protect them both and drop Morin and Kreider, but now I'm just not sure. It appears they're both boom-or-bust propositions, and I don't really like the idea of protecting 3 goalies as part of my 9 prospects. So now I'm thinking of unloading one of them to keep an extra forward, probably Morin.

What would you do? Thanks for the input!

The Airborne Attack
    (GFHL - 14 Team Keeper League 2016 Champions)

F: McDavid, Laine, Monahan, Simmonds, van Riemsdyk, Granlund, Schwartz, Kreider, Oshie, Trochek, Bjugstad
    D: Ekman Larsson, Carlson, Ristolainen, Parayko, Skjei, Ekblad, McNabb
    G: Price, Rinne, Halak, Montoya

Farm: Dvorak, Kaprizov, Ritchie, Rattie, Chabot, Carrick, Johns, Hutton, Sorokin

Dobber Sports Genius

I think you have to keep both personally, as you mentioned goaltending is typically the most sought after position in a dynasty/keepers, especially as the league progresses. If possible try to bundle one of them with Morin/Kreider for an upgrade keeper. I would look to the Neuvirth or Leighton/Boucher owners first, then whoever has the least goaltending depth. I consider both Bob/Varly to be top end goalie prospects on great teams, so you should get a very considerable return in a trade.
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    22 Players 3C 3L 3R 1Util 4D 2G 6BN
    (G) (A) (+/-) (PIM) (PPP) (FW) (HIT) (W) (GAA) (SV%) (SHO)
    C: R Getzlaf, C Giroux, Scheifele, T Bozak
    LW: T Vanek, B Ryan, P Marleau, T Hall
    RW: C Perry, K Okposo, A Ovechkin, Kucherov
    D: D Byfuglien, Z Chara, E Karlsson, R Josi, D Keith, Trouba
    G: R Luongo, B Holtby, K Lehtonen
    Farm: Lack, Wennberg, Hellbucyk, Ho-Sang, Milano, Burakovsky, Sanheim
    2012-2013 and 2013-2014 league champ

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Laendarian View Post
    I think you have to keep both personally, as you mentioned goaltending is typically the most sought after position in a dynasty/keepers, especially as the league progresses. If possible try to bundle one of them with Morin/Kreider for an upgrade keeper. I would look to the Neuvirth or Leighton/Boucher owners first, then whoever has the least goaltending depth. I consider both Bob/Varly to be top end goalie prospects on great teams, so you should get a very considerable return in a trade.
    I tend to agree with this view.

In your shoes, I'd force myself to keep both Bob and Varly over Morin/Kreider. Yet like Laendarian states, going to their respective tandem owners will be your starting point in trade talks as you will get the most value from them.

I wouldn't worry about protecting 1/3 of my available prospects on Goalies, and even more so when they have proven to be capable of starting minutes.

Good luck,
    GMG
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Ninja

I would keep both as well. I don't know too much about prospects, from what I heard Kreider is under-performing as of late, causing some managers to sour on him. I've heard good things about Morin, but personally I think since you said your league values goalies pretty heavily if Varlamov signs with another team and Philly decides to stick with Bob then you could be kicking yourself.

Even if you trade them now this is one of the lowest times to sell them both too. If you can get an upgrade for one of them by packaging them with one of the other two like Laendarian suggested then that would be great, but I doubt that will fly.

Just my two cents.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Padawan

Thanks guys. You've all confirmed what I've been thinking for the past 3 or 4 months. Guess I'm just getting a little gun-shy with the way Bob and Varly's fortunes have turned lately. But it's probably the wisest move to stick with them and see how it plays out.

The Airborne Attack
    (GFHL - 14 Team Keeper League 2016 Champions)

F: McDavid, Laine, Monahan, Simmonds, van Riemsdyk, Granlund, Schwartz, Kreider, Oshie, Trochek, Bjugstad
    D: Ekman Larsson, Carlson, Ristolainen, Parayko, Skjei, Ekblad, McNabb
    G: Price, Rinne, Halak, Montoya

Farm: Dvorak, Kaprizov, Ritchie, Rattie, Chabot, Carrick, Johns, Hutton, Sorokin