Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Green or Doughty

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I think you're a little too worried about the Green concussion issue. He's clearly more valuable to a fantasy roster than Doughty. The overall numbers speak for themselves.

Let me ask you this: Would you consider trading Crosby for Stamkos because Sid had a concussion this year?

You don't pass on the better player (Green) out of fear of injury. This especially holds true in H2H leagues. You win championships by taking risks and targeting the guys you know are better players. The numbers prove that Green is the better player.
    Humans deal with the reality of the Shadow in four ways: Denial, Projection, Integration and/or Transmutation

14 Team Dynasty ~ 4 Time Champion (2009-2010-2011-2016)

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    You don't pass on the better player... out of fear of injury.
    Unless his name is Peter Forsberg. Who I'm still not over.

Foppaaaaaaah!
    T.G.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Blayze - you summend my thoughts exactly...at least if I live in paranoia, I have good company.

If I can build upon MJ's note a bit further...it would be possible to acquire both Green and Doughty.

However, the price would be sacrificing P.Kane and Skinner.
    That would mean that I would have to keep Semin and Benn instead of Kane and Skinner.

Is what I lose in offense made up for having 2 of the best D-Men?
    Too costly?
    Hey Loki,

Another question. If Green and Doughty will cost you Skinner and Kane, what the individual asking price for either Green or Doughty?

Mjf
    12 team Rotisserie league (No positional requirements: 7 Keepers of which 2 must be Farm eligible).
    Active Roster consists of: 6 FW, 4 D, 2 G and 6 Bench.
    Scoring Cats: G (10x), A (10x), SOG (10x), HT (10x), BS (10x), PIM (10x), TK (10x), +/- (5x); W (10x), SV (10x), SO (5x)

FW: ​Draisaitl, Pastrnak, Keller, Jarvis, Barbashev, Kyrou, Raymond
    D: Dobson, Nurse, Sergachev, Andersson, Zadorov, York
    G: Oettinger, Raanta, Copley, Vejmelka
    IR: Hamilton
    Farm (165 games for F/D and 100 games for G): Wolf, Fantilli

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Thieving Giraffe View Post
    Quick aside: is that accurate? All of the reports I'm hearing say that he's good to go, just took Monday's practice off to play it safe since they don't have another game for a while. BB said that he was ready to go back into the game if they needed him (though of course taking that with a grain of salt), and he get right back on the bench. Just wondering.

But anyway, here's a hypothetical. Let's say that Green only plays 70 games per season from here on out - that's a pretty significant concession. If he still scores .9 points per game, that's an average of 63 points per season. As a baseline, having probably conceded too much.

I don't expect 63+ points as a baseline for Doughty. Do you?
    I personally wouldn't expect 0.9 points per game. That was back in the day when he was a defensive liability and the Capitals were more of a wide open run and gun offensive team.

Also I take it his league is a multi-cat league rather than a points-only league. Taking a 10-game hit every year is huge, not just from a points perspective but in terms of PIMS, shots, hits, blocks, all the secondary stats as well.

Is 63+ points out of the question for Doughty? I could see it happening, but that's just a hunch

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    You don't pass on the better player (Green) out of fear of injury. This especially holds true in H2H leagues. You win championships by taking risks and targeting the guys you know are better players. The numbers prove that Green is the better player.
    So should I load up on Gaborik, Semin, Hossa, Gagne and Spezza too?

Give me consistent, steady-eddie, reliable production over a glass cannon any day, especially in H2H.

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    So should I load up on Gaborik, Semin, Hossa, Gagne and Spezza too?

Give me consistent, steady-eddie, reliable production over a glass cannon any day, especially in H2H.
    It's all about context. Pity you seem to be unable to comprehend that fact.

I never said go out and add as many injury risks as possible. I said that you don't shy away from the better player because you fear an injury, especially in H2H leagues where the playoffs are more important than anything else.

My philosophy has won me more championships than I can count, including the last 3 in my 14-team H2H dynasty league. You can roll your eyes all you want. My guess is that those who consistently win championships know exactly what I'm referring to when I say you take some risks to land the best players.
    Humans deal with the reality of the Shadow in four ways: Denial, Projection, Integration and/or Transmutation

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    I understand your concern over Green. It certiainly is something to worry about a little. To me, the safe but less rewarding choice is the Kane side. The higher risk, higher reward is the Semin side with Semin bringing his own injury concerns to the table. I personally would take the Semin side but if you want to play if safer, then there is nothing wrong with the Kane side.
    I see no better evaluation of the situation than this from my own perspective. I think the call is going to come down to your personal comfort level or aversion to risk, Loki.

I am more a Shadow-type than a Blayze-type, but both have merit. I would opt for the Semin side of the deal personally because I want to plug the highest potential into my roster and let 'er buck.

If Semin and Green fail to stay relatively healthy, oh well - Plan B.

Quote Originally Posted by Thieving Giraffe View Post
    Unless his name is Peter Forsberg. Who I'm still not over.

Foppaaaaaaah!
    Yea, there are injury risks, and then there are players who are made of glass. We all know which category Foppa falls under.

Maybe somewhere down the line Mike Green becomes the Foppa of defensemen and, if that turns out to be the case, then those who pick Green over Doughty will have lost that gamble. But if he even plays 65-70 games a year, and he plays in H2H playoffs, he's better than Doughty by a significant margin. The numbers don't lie, and you win fantasy leagues with numbers.

The situation with comparing Green and Doughty is very much like comparing Crosby to Stamkos. In each case, one player has proven to be clearly better than the other. In each case, the better player has missed a significant amount of time this year to a concussion. How many fantasy managers are rushing to trade Crosby for Stamkos?

I know that you know all of this, but clearly some people would rather take things out of context to further their agenda. It's not really the most intelligent way to go about things, but to each their own.

*shrugs*

Dobber Sports Ninja

You can't compare the Green situation to Crosby for a couple of reasons.

First - Crosby has sustained one concussion... nobody knows how durable he is right now and what type of player he will be when he returns. Green has proven (in my humble opinion) that he is a certified bandaid boy. It can be a concussion, thigh, a hip, a shoulder, etc, he always finds a way to get injured.

Second - Crosby has way more upside than Green. You are talking about the best player in the game here, so obviously the reward/risk tradeoff becomes more attractive.

I think Green's situation is more comparable to a Semin or a Hossa.

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    You can't compare the Green situation to Crosby for a couple of reasons.

First - Crosby has sustained one concussion... nobody knows how durable he is right now and what type of player he will be when he returns. Green has proven (in my humble opinion) that he is a certified bandaid boy. It can be a concussion, thigh, a hip, a shoulder, etc, he always finds a way to get injured.

Second - Crosby has way more upside than Green. You are talking about the best player in the game here, so obviously the reward/risk tradeoff becomes more attractive.

I think Green's situation is more comparable to a Semin or a Hossa.
    But I'm not comparing Green to Crosby. I'm comparing Green/Doughty vs Crosby/Stamkos. Surely you can see the difference?

Look, I'm not gonna get in a pissing contest with you on a message board. My philosophy on team building has brought an enormous amount of success over the years, and I'm not going to change it until proven otherwise. I'm sure you feel the same about your philosophy, and so it goes. We'll have to agree to disagree.

This isn't abut me saying "secure as many injury risks as possible". Broken down to its simplest terms: If you and I have equal rosters and one open spot for a defenseman, you would side with Doughty and I would side with Green.

The reason I'm usually able to take the risk on the better player who has an injury history is because my roster is never filled with injury risks in the first place. If the foundation of your team is already strong and consistent, it's these types of decisions that ultimately decide championships, in my opinion.

There are two things I look at when deciding between two players. 1) The numbers (cold hard facts that can't be disputed) and 2) My instincts (Gut feeling). In the case of Green vs Doughty, the numbers speak for themselves. In the case of my gut, it tells me that Green will most likely always miss 10-12 games a year. I add the numbers and my instincts together, and it tells me Green is worth the risk. You feel differently, and that's just the way it is. We'd probably make great rivals if we were in the same league, because differing philosophies have a tendency to form rivalries

As a sidenote: Green was a HUGE factor in me winning my Dynasty League in both 2008-09 and 2009-10. He was a disappointment this season, and obviously wasn't of any help in the H2H playoffs, and I STILL won the title because the majority of my roster is fundamentally strong and consistent in its foundation, and I never have to rely on any risks I take to win.

Again, it's all about context. There is a right time to take risks and a wrong time to take risks. But on the surface, I would switch out Doughty for Green every day of the week and twice on Sundays. You disagree and I have no problem with that, just don't take my meaning out of context. Fair enough?

Dobber Sports Genius

Doughty...Green is a 55 point D who got his numbers inflated playing the point for Ovechkin-Semin-Backstrom. Doughty is the real deal and an easy 55 d-man himself. Green also has Carlson and Orlov on their way up and RFA status at the end of next year...don't expect him to resign in WSH. Doughty is my call here easily