Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: [TRADE] Versteeg to Flyers

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I definitely see your point, but like some have said this move could mean Leino leaves this summer. Perhaps they could have gone the Brunette/Stillman route and re-signed Leino while keeping those draft picks? It's more nitpicking on my part, as the Flyers are one of the top organizations in hockey at the moment. I like the trade but I like it a lot less given the context.
    I have to agree with you on that. You made an excellent point in the other thread about reaching the point of "diminishing returns", and Stillman, Brunette, or a similar less expensive veteran with some offensive upside; added at the deadline would have still given them the strongest group of forwards, and left them with the ability to bring in a good prospect as well.

Holmgren's just an "over the top" kind of guy, you could make the same argument against the Meszaros trade, ....more than needed, more expensive than it had to be, and into the realm of diminishing returns. Using resources that could have been used to help rebuild the farm system.

If he wins a cup, he's a "genius", if he doesn't, ...he's Glen Sather.
    CBS 8 team keeper(5-8) - Points only

C: Tavares, Duchesne, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins
    LW: Parise, Benn, Neal
    RW: Kessel, Giroux, Stewart
    D: Green,Karlson, Carlson, Whitney, Edler, White
    G: Rinne, Lundqvist
    2LW,2C,2RW,4D,1G pts.= G=2, PPG=3, SH=5, A=1, W=3, S=.2, GA=-1, SO=4,

(Tired of watching today's trophys pass you buy? Waiting for a tomorrow that may never come? Why not win NOW? ...Ask about our "Pre-owned vets for prospects" program, and start winning TODAY!)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I am not so sure you could get Brunette for just a 3rd rounder. He's extremely valuable to the Wild and has shown nothing but consistency throughout his career. To me, the asking price on Brunette would have been similar to Versteeg especially since he's a leader in Minnesota too.

In the end, with the lack of prospects/picks, Philly is going to either:

a) Win the Stanley Cup
    or
    b) Lose, and eventually trade one of their top line players (Carter, Richards, JVR, Giroux, Briere as examples only) for some top prospects. I am not saying they will have to do that this year but definitely in the next few years.

The Flyers are definitely SERIOUS contenders and I hope they do well (always been my 2nd favourite team) but the pressure is definitely on this organization to WIN and WIN NOW.

Dobber Sports Sage

Everyone is jumping to conclusions here.

Holmgren is a good GM. I trust whatever he does and that the Flyers will be fine.

Dobber Sports Legend

Versteeg is playing for the Flyers tonight and is wearing John LeClair's old #10.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Pro

that's because the flyers "high end prospects" are already on the team.

they have also been very active in signing college free agents and euro fa's to try and bolster the prospect pool somewhat (see gustafsson, testwuide, bobrovsky). I would suspect that trend to continue. None of whom required a draft pick to be spent on them to join the organization.

Prospects wouldn't even be cracking this line up for years and during the offseason and draft you can always trade a player or two to regain picks/prospects. If that is the argument for it being a bad deal, the straws have been reached for...

This team is years away from having to worry about restocking.
    14 team league - 16 Keepers max 2 goalies - G,A,P,+/-,PPP,SHP,SOG,PIM, FW, W, GAA,SV, SV%, SHO

Use the Schwartz

C: Mike Richards (lw) Henrik Sedin, Strome, Kuznetsov
    RW: Iginla, Voracek, Eriksson (lw), Gagner (c)
    LW: Parise, Nash, Schwartz
    D: Karlsson, Barrie, Hedman
    G: Luongo, Crawford

might dump one of eriksson or gagner to keep Leddy

@Rusty_Pickles Tweet Tweet.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Versteeg is playing for the Flyers tonight and is wearing John LeClair's old #10.
    And, I must add. Versteeg is wearing #10 because he was a Pavel Bure fan growing up. Damn, I'm old!!
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka