Thread: Thoughts on Kessel...

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Thoughts on Kessel...

Just wanted to get some thoughts on my boy Kessel.

I have him as a RFA at the end of this year, will cost me 6m to keep him, which I am not sure if I will or not.

My league counts +/- so, he is pretty ugly right now, and won't get a trade in for him.

You guys think he is worth keeping? For this year and next? I don't know what to say, if my league counted missed chances I would be laughing but we dont.

Other option is to waive him, open up a spot, get some money back in two weeks and sign someone like R.Whitney to help me the rest of the year.

I like him though, hes the kind of player that I feel will explode soon as I let go of him.
    Salary Cap League:
    13 Team, G, A,+/-, W-2, OTL,SO-3
    30 max, 21 weekly active roster (12F, 7D, 2G)
    Note: Our league is 1 year behind in terms of available players and salary. Salary doesn't change for length of Pool contract.

Team:
    F-Trochek, Necas, J.T.Miller,McCann,Terry,Engvall, Zibanajed,mikhehev,GourdeHagel, Petterson,skinner
    D-
    Lindgren,Barrie,Forsling,.Morrisey,Aho,Ekblad,fabe r
    G-
    ,ulnarkSherstkin, Ned

(*) = Multi year deal

The Magnificent One

yeah that is pricey but i think with 12f you should keep him. as toronto gets better he will be the leading scorer on that team for years to come. he is the go to guy. i think he is worth it. ofcourse this all comes down to if you can afford him and still roster a full roster.
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Master

He's worth it. Give him a viable center and other winger, and you'll see his numbers skyrocket.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

That's the problem though... He doesn't have a C or another W...

What the hell... Give Andrei Kostitsyn a viable C and another winger, add some heart + dedication + spirit and you've got a pretty 80 pts player...
    W(r)-Olofsson, Tippett, Tolvanen, Kupari
    D-Hamilton, Krug, Burns, Andersson, Pulock
    D(r)- Boqvist
    G- Hellebuyck, Hart, Shesterkin

KEEPER (6 each year + 10 rookies under 23), 11 Teams
    F+D : Points only
    G : 2pts for SO
    3 C, 5 W, 3 D + 2 G

Administrator

That's a tough sell. It really depends on your situation. If your cap situation is tight you can try to swap him for a cheaper alternative. But if you have enough cap to absorb it I recommend hanging onto him, and make it a long-term investment. Right now it's ugly because his overall points are not great and his +/- is terrible but I think with time some of that will round off and he'll become a better all-around contributor in your format.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by TK12555 View Post
    He's worth it. Give him a viable center and other winger, and you'll see his numbers skyrocket.
    This is on point, Kessel is much better than this and will get back to 35+G range consistently...he literally has no help at all and is a goal scoring sniper...he needs a set-up guy to play to his full capacity and be utilized properly..they will get that eventually and +/- is gonna be an issue with anyone when Giguere and Gustavsson in net...Reimer should help in that regard

Dobber Sports Stud

Kessel scored 30 last year with essentially no one.

He has 19 this year (pace for around 30-35) with even more then no-one (since he isn't playing with Kulemin-Bozak this year - Crabb and sophomore-Bozak most of the time).

Wait until he actually doesn't have 2 D + the defensive presence of a line on his tail every shift.
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    24 team H2H (W-:L) Dynasty - 3C/LW/RW/F, 6D, 1G.
    G/A/(+/-)/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/GWG/HIT/BLK/FOW
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

NHL Cap + 1M salary cap (AAV)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I agree. I just got Kessel and I plan to keep him for long. Depending on the help he'll get, he will score 30 (no help) to 45 for years. I don't think Burke will have him waiting too long without decent linemates. I saw him play in some games and he gets a lot of chances, shoots a lot... when he'll have a good set-up man, the goals will come big time.
    14 teams Dynasty (keep 10)
    Points-only, Goalies 2W +1SO

F (12) = Kopitar, Tavares, Benn, Schwartz, Hornqvist, Thornton, Kreider, Nyquist, Perreault, Maroon, Lee, Dzingel
    D (4) = Burns, Klingberg, Carlson, Niskanen, Severson
    G (1) = Holtby, Grubauer

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by NHLSim Jackets View Post
    I agree. I just got Kessel and I plan to keep him for long. Depending on the help he'll get, he will score 30 (no help) to 45 for years. I don't think Burke will have him waiting too long without decent linemates. I saw him play in some games and he gets a lot of chances, shoots a lot... when he'll have a good set-up man, the goals will come big time.
    Not only that, but more maturation and a winning environment could do wonders. People forget he's still young and is far from being a finished product.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

In a Keeper league, where +/- doesn't count, do you value Kessel over Nathan Horton?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by The Pod View Post
    In a Keeper league, where +/- doesn't count, do you value Kessel over Nathan Horton?
    Yes I would, considering that Kessel plays almost every game and creates scoring chances by himself (for the moment). He is younger than Horton and considering Horton's stats in a much better team, will produce better than him when Toronto will get him help.
    14 teams Dynasty (keep 10)
    Points-only, Goalies 2W +1SO

F (12) = Kopitar, Tavares, Benn, Schwartz, Hornqvist, Thornton, Kreider, Nyquist, Perreault, Maroon, Lee, Dzingel
    D (4) = Burns, Klingberg, Carlson, Niskanen, Severson
    G (1) = Holtby, Grubauer

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by The Pod View Post
    Horton is lazy and an underachiever. I would put money on Kessel elevating his game before Horton.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Horton is lazy and an underachiever. I would put money on Kessel elevating his game before Horton.
    I strongly dislike Kessel and I'd still agree - Kessel over Horton.