Thread: Who to drop - Who to pick up

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Who to drop - Who to pick up

Second Team in Sig

I'm looking to use my second waiver pick of the season. We only get 3 for the whole season, so its pretty risky.

I'm looking to pick up one of the following:
    Savard, Clowe, Backes, Letang, Gionta, Cleary

Who would you pick-up? and who would you drop? or would you stand pat?

Thanks
    Last edited by Nas; December 10, 2010 at 10:37 AM.

Pts Only 1y - 9 Teams
    F: Stamkos, H. Sedin, Voracek, St Louis, Hornquist, Ladd, Semin, Ribeiro, Hudler, Kuznetsov
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Letang, Goligoski
    G: Price, Holtby

Dobber Sports Genius

Savard for Frolov....makes me cringe just to type that plugs name...you've got about 6 guys though that would be drop worthy for Gionta as well...but at least get Savard for Frolov

Dobber Sports Genius

I would look at dumping Frolov or Versteeg for Savard or Clowe. With only 3 moves you might want to limit the potential for injuries, so if it were me I'd likely move Frolov (less motivated than Versteeg) for Clowe (less potential for injury than Savard, and with Couture and Pavelski he's got great linemates).

Good luck!

Dobber Sports Novice

I wouldn't touch Savard, he has potential but is as injury prone as they come. one half decent hit and there goes his career. Letang is playing lights out with Crosby and Clowe is matching up well with Couture, both have 8 pts in their last 5 games
    12 Team Year by Year yahoo league

Start: 2-C, 2-RW, 2-LW, 4-D, 1-Util, 2-G
    Skater Stats: Goals, Assists, +/-, PIM, PPP, Hits
    Goalie Stats: Wins, GAA, SV%, SO

Centers: Benn, Ott, J.Staal,Tlusty, (all 4 are C/LW) Briere (C/LW)
    Left Wings: Landeskog, van Riemsdyk,
    Right Wings: Yakupov, Read(IR), Chris Neil, Michalek (LW,RW)
    Defenseman: Karlsson(IR), Chara, Doughty, Schenn, Carlson, Bogosian
    Goalies: Fleury, Lindback, Neuvirth, Scrivens

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Agreed Frolov is the one that needs to go. I'm just torn on who to pick up, I think Savard will get back into form and will be bumped to first line soon. However Clowe is just putting up the pts at will, but can he keep it up? Will Savard stay healthy?

How many more points would Savard score than Clowe going forward assuming both stay healthy?

Pts Only 1y - 9 Teams
    F: Stamkos, H. Sedin, Voracek, St Louis, Hornquist, Ladd, Semin, Ribeiro, Hudler, Kuznetsov

Dobber Sports Genius

Hard to guess at point production going forward. I'd say you could probably bank on a 65+ point pace from Clowe from here on, and a 70 point pace for Savard once he gets going (this year. I don't dispute his talent, but I don't think we'll see the real Savard this season. Just a hunch). There will be a ramping up period for Savard, so it could be a wash.

I think there is less risk with Clowe. Concussions like that take time to get back to speed, and I wouldn't bank on Savard getting Lucic and Horton. That line has been consistently productive as is, so it may stick. Who knows?

Both are great options, though, and obvious upgrades to Frolov.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

My issue with Clowe is his linemates, Couture is playing great but will prolly hit the rookie wall and therefore Clowe will suffer. Also he only gets second unit PP time.

But you're right in that Savard is high risk.

About Savard going to the first line, got that from Dub (http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...ad.php&t=90029)
    Last edited by Nas; December 10, 2010 at 1:34 PM.

Pts Only 1y - 9 Teams

Dobber Sports Ninja

Frolov for Clowe imo. He's a great player and he'll contribute SOMETHING to your team every night they play. While he's not the best scorer per say, he's the best all around option

Edit: Oopss...second team in sig my bad.
    I would pick Gionta. Don't know if people would agree with me but he's been playing at a really high level this year and Plek and Kostitsyn are good linemates for him.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I wanted to pick Gio but I usually am biased towards habs players, so thats why I've learned to post things first.

Anyone else, seems like a 3 horse race:
    1- Gionta
    1- Savard
    1- Clowe

Pts Only 1y - 9 Teams

Dobber Sports Demi-God

You don't have any D positions in that league?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

No, only requirements are max 2 goalies.

Pts Only 1y - 9 Teams

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Points only I think Savard is the right call here - yeah there's a risk of reinjury but I think it's worth it. Frolov is pretty much dormant so the likely drop.

Dobber Sports Genius

Savard will score at or very close to point per game pace...how he is even on the wire with guys like Frolov rostered is beyond me or being compared to a 55 point Clowe is ridiculous...if Savard was so likely to be injured he'd still be out of hte lineup...he's taken plenty of hits since his return...he moves the puck as good as anyone in the league, he's already replaced Krejci on the top PP unit and while I didn't get to watch the last BOS game the game prior Vs. Buffalo when it was knotted 2-2 it was Savard who spent the last half of the third period in replace of Krejci on the first line which they had about six ridiculous chances to where if anyone other than Miller were in net they'd have taken the game right then...definitely get Savard...and honestly Giotna is worth it as well as he is on pace for around 340 SOG coupled with a career 11% shooting percentage which is gonna have him scoring at around 35G pace and he has been scoring at about point-per-game pace since being moved alongside Plekanec a month ago...pointless tonight however 5 more SOG, heavy PP time, 1st line duty w/ Plekanec and either Cammy/Kostitsyn guy is worth an add since you have multiple degenerates on that roster...keep the remaining add/drops for injury purposes...forget about clowe as he is two notches below both Savard and Gionta over a full 82..ditch Jokinen as well but at the very least frolov for Savard
    Last edited by MT319; December 11, 2010 at 12:45 AM.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

With Gionta & Savard being the favourites i think I'll draft them both using all of my waiver picks for the season. I know I'm taking a risk with a LTI but theres not much quality players available. So I better grab them quick.

So who should I drop: obviously Frolov but who else, some have mentioned Jokinen but I have Jussi not Oli.

Players on the bubble imo are:
    Versteeg
    Gagner
    Hemsky (since he's injured) - all players are dressed every night
    Ennis
    Voracek
    Zajac
    Last edited by Nas; December 13, 2010 at 1:52 PM.

Pts Only 1y - 9 Teams