Thread: Value of Erik Johnson?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Value of Erik Johnson?

I know that there's already been a ton of threads on this from previous weeks, but what are your thoughts on him? I have Phaneuf coming of IR soon and with the way he's playing, I feel like I should dump him over guys like Girardi or Meszaros. EJ's just not doing much for me at all and probably has no trade value. Is this guy meant to be left on the waiver wire? Can he turn his season around and finish with decent numbers? I know there's probably few people who still have faith in him, but if you're out there, please speak up, because I'm almost positive that I've held on to EJ about 3 weeks longer than everyone else.

Also, no Shattenkirk available on the wire, otherwise I would drop EJ in a heartbeat. There's really nothing for d on the wire, and when Phaneuf comes back, I'll need a roster spot to activate him anyway.
    Yahoo 12 team Keep 7 League (keepers in bold)
    Cats: G, A, PPP, SHP, +/-, PIM, SOG, Hits, W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    Start 10F, 4D, 1 Util, 2G, 4 Bench
    F: Malkin , Neal, Parise, Benn, MacKinnon, Pavelski, van Riemsdyk, Tarasenko, Yakupov, Hanzal, Scheifele, Palat, Zuccarello,
    D: Giordano, Seabrook, Gudas, Gologoski, Ehrhoff, Bieksa (IR)
    G: Rask, Lehtonen, Mason

Dobber Sports Expert

i've held on to EJ for years now and I am starting to wonder the same thing. Is he going to have a Pronger-style progression where it takes forever for him to have more than average value?

Dobber Sports Stud

I have kept him (but on the bench) for the last three weeks, however, the only reason I have not dropped him is because neither Parise or Leighton (my two IR guys) are ready to activate. When Leighton comes back I will likely drop him.

I am a fan of his but with his diminished role in St. Louis and now the additional injury to McDonald (on top of Oshie) things do not look promising - from one E. Johnson hold out to another, I think you are safe to cut bait.

Dobber Sports Giant

id try to hang on as long as you can. it will come.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

in a 1 year league drop him as petro and coliacovo get more pp time. in a keeper league hold onto him as most dmen take 4 years or so to really get rolling.

Dobber Sports Stud

EJ was dropped in my league about a week ago.
    I waited for him to clear waivers and picked him up - didn't want to use a waiver spot on him.
    Downie got injured I have no IR spot, and i just dropped him for a F replacement.

Needless to say, I picked him up thinking that he will turn things around.....But I wasn't able to wait it out.

I have said before that I have read reports that have compared him to Bouwmeester. A guy who has offensive upside...but isn't elite in that category. He will put up a lot of decent numbers for his TEAM, but dunno if he will put them up for yours.

I have him in a keeper hoping he DOES turn it around, but I wasn't gonna gamble in two leagues.

As for he over Meszaros though.................I think I may hang onto Johnson just for that possibility. He DOES have 3 assists in his last 4 games, so maybe he's starting to break out of the funk.

I woulda held him...but I had to drop him.
    Team 1:

G, A, SOG, PPP, SOG, Hit, Blk, W, SV%, GAA, SO

C - Matthews, Crosby, Point, Seguin
    LW - Miller, Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Kaprizov, Schenn
    RW - Terry, Necas, Reinhart, Boeser
    D - Hedman, Pionk, Hanifin, McNabb
    G - Hellebyuck, Ullmark
    IR - Wilson, Petry

Team 2:

G, A, PP, SOG, Hit, Blk, W, GAA, SV%,

C - Kopitar, Hischier, Rantane
    LW - Panarin, Guentzel, RNH
    RW - Marner, Kucherov, R. Smith
    D - Makar, Hamilton, Heisknen, Dillon
    G - Vasilevskiy, Hellebyuck, Ullmark
    IR - Wilson, Aho, Theodore

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I dropped him a couple weeks ago for Shattenkirk, and he's still on the wire. I have no regrets thus far (obviously), its certainly not looking like EJ will get his 50 point year as projected by many.
    12 Team H2H Semi Keeper

Scoring - G, A, PPP, SHP, GWG, +/-, FW, SOG, BLK, HIT
    Goalies - W, GAA, SV%, SV, SHO

C - McDavid, Galchenyuk, E. Staal
    LW - Ovechkin, Fabbri, Perron
    RW - Toffoli, Donskoi, Yakupov, Parenteau, Okposo, Niederreiter
    D - Hedman, Barrie, Klefbom, Bealieu, Lindholm
    G - Schneider, Allen, Anderson

In a one year league, there are probably better options out there. Long term, I think he still holds a tremendous amount of value.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    In a one year league, there are probably better options out there. Long term, I think he still holds a tremendous amount of value.
    Agree 100%. He as well as Bogosian have really been disappointing this year. I don't feel that these two guys hold too much value in one year leagues (however for the time being Bogo probably has some value since Enstrom seems to be hurt).
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Great, thanks everyone for the input. I think I'll drop EJ once Phaneuf comes back (because Phaneuf gets very solid SOG and Hits numbers, and is a good source of PIMs). That gives EJ about a week to prove to me that he's worth keeping, but at this point last season he had more than double the amount of points (17 vs. 9), and he only finished with 39 last year. I guess I'm expecting about 30 points out of him, but that's it. Hardly what I wanted when I traded for him earlier this year...
    Yahoo 12 team Keep 7 League (keepers in bold)
    Cats: G, A, PPP, SHP, +/-, PIM, SOG, Hits, W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    Start 10F, 4D, 1 Util, 2G, 4 Bench
    F: Malkin , Neal, Parise, Benn, MacKinnon, Pavelski, van Riemsdyk, Tarasenko, Yakupov, Hanzal, Scheifele, Palat, Zuccarello,
    D: Giordano, Seabrook, Gudas, Gologoski, Ehrhoff, Bieksa (IR)
    G: Rask, Lehtonen, Mason