Thread: Alexander Salak???

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Alexander Salak???

Hey guys. Alexander Salak is sitting on my waiver pool and was wondering if I should add him to my roster. Is he good enough to beat out Markstrom next season for the gig in Florida once Vokoun is gone? I do not know much about the guy but there seams to be a mention of him in every article I read about Markstrom. Thanks in advance!
    12 Team H2H Dynasty League
    4x4 settings (G ,A, +/-, PIM, W, GAA, SV, SV %)
    3C, 6W, 6D, 2G, 12 bench- 3 IR spots

C= R.Getzlaf, J.Toews, E.Malkin
    W=A.Ovechkin, P.Kane, C.Perry, B.Ryan, K.Okposo, J.Eberle
    D=M.Green, Letang, K.Yandle, P.Subban, J.Carlson, D.Phaneuf
    G=T. Rask, S.Varlamov

BC= T.Seguin,M. Perreault, T.Tatar
    BW= Calvert, Z.Boychuck, L.Omark, J.Morin
    BD= B.Smith, S.Elliott
    BG= M.Neuvirth, J.Bernier, A.Lindback, B.Holtby, R.Emery
    FARM= C.Kreider, B.Connolly.
    Draft= #1 Pick overall in 2011 prospects Draft

Dobber Sports Stud

I'll bump this.

I'm looking for guidance as well.
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SHP,GWG,H,BS,W,SV%,SA,SO
    12 Man H2H Salary Keeper League
    C - S.Crosby/S.Monahan/G.Landeskog(lw)/W.Karlsson
    LW- T.Hall/B.Rust(lw)/N.Hoglander
    RW - J.Guentzel(lw)/ T.Tatar(lw)/J.Pulujaarvi/K.Kapanen(lw)
    D - B.Burns/E.Karlsson/M.Heiskanen/J.Carlson
    G - I.Sorokin/I.Shesterkin/T.Demko/C.Peterson/C.Talbot
    Farm - C.Primeau/P.Kochetov/C.Caufield/E.Svechnikov

Dobber Sports Stud

I had heard very good things about him coming into this season. He put up better than average stats last year (Rochchester). Then he runs away to Sweden to play. Not sure if this helps or hinders his development. I think Markstrom is ahead of him on the learning curve and he's younger. I'd be hedging my bet on Markstrom.

If you can afford to sit on Salak, he's worth the risk.

Markstrom is more likely the heir apparent, but he can still use some seasoning in the AHL.

Dobber Sports Stud

If you have yet to check out Goldman's list then I highly recommend that you do. You'll find it here:

http://www.thegoalieguild.com/?page_id=2525

Salak has fallen to the 24th spot on the list but it's not for lack of skill (he used to be top 10), it's mostly due to his departure to Sweden to play for the year and the fact that he's behind Markstrom on the Florida depth chart.

The fact that he's playing in Sweden has nothing to do with a lack of desire to play in North America and everything to do with getting him the most playing time possible considering that Markstrom is the starting goalie in Rochester. His future value is a bit uncertain at this point because I don't see him as more that a backup in the Florida system but I always figure that a solid backup is just an injury away from being a starter

Dobber Sports Sage

Salak ripped up the AHL last year and even got a couple cups of coffee with the Panthers. Had he performed well in the NHL, there's no doubt in my mind he would have been the backup to Vokoun (or 1b) and possibly allow the Panthers to move Vokoun earlier than expected. Unfortunately, he got lit up like a Christmas tree when he was called up.

In Florida, the golden boy is obviously Markstrom, so he'll be the guy that Florida will lean to in the long term. That's not to say that Salak can't take his job though. Just look at Jon Quick in LA and how he stepped in before Bernier could take the reigns.

Bottom line is Salak did the right thing by better developing himself and getting more time. As long as he comes back next season, it should be an all out duel between Salak and Markstrom for the backup (or possibly starting, depending on Vokoun) role. Markstrom is favored due to long-term upside, but don't rule out Salak by any means. He's older and with being away for a season, I'd fully expect him to push for the NHL job and keep Markstrom in the AHL one more year.

So, yes, he is worth an investment, but if he signs an extension in Europe or if he loses his job to Markstrom (you'd probably find this out anywhere from Aug - Oct 2011), I'd probably find another goalie to invest in.
    @tlucarelli on twitter

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Markstom is having a terrible start in the ahl:

3.34 gaa, .889 save % in 12 games

So its very possibly Salak gets ahead of him next year if Florida feels Markstrom needs more time in the ahl. I think I read somewhere he is having a tough time adjusting to the smaller ice.

Just looked up Salak's stats for Sweden:

1.82 gaa, .931 save % in 12 games

Salak updated stats in Sweden:

17 GP, 1.94 GAA, .926 SV%, 3 SO. Can't seem to find his W/L record.

Right now he's 2nd in the SEL in SV%.