Thread: McBain (Car)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default McBain (Car)

He sure is not getting an oppertunity like we thought he would. Starting the season, Dobber had him for 50 and a sure #1 PP guy. So far he's #4 behind Pitkanen, Corvo and Babchuk. What are they thinking? 10 pts in 14 GP last year and going thru a youth movement why not play him more with the man advantage? Very disappointed, hope he gets more to work with going forward.
    15 team keeper league
    F - P.Marleau, B.Richards, Heatley, T. Fleishmann, Langenbrunner, T. Holmstrom, R.Whitney, Cheechoo, Voracek, Little, T. Ruutu, Kessel,
    D - Boyle, Weber, A. Edler, Zidlicky, J. Wisniewski, Kubina
    G - M. Kiprusoff, S. Varlamov, P. Rinne
    Farm: E.Karlsson, Carlson, Grabner, Repik

The Great One

I'm very disappointed with his season so far. I doubt he gets 35 pts this year now. He just isn't getting a chance to earn top minutes and isn't on the #1 PP unit.

Too bad, because he is a very talented player. Oh well. Hopefully next year.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Legend

McBain will crack 30 if he is lucky. I took him with my 1st rounder and I am thinking long-term.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Ace

Fungchen is correct here. He draft McBain for his long term potential, not just this year. His production is a bit of a surprise since he is getting enough TOI, maybe not PP but he is still out enough to make some impact.

Very disappointing to see him hit 22 minutes played and come out with 0 pts and +1 after the Canes score 7. That is a little worrisome.

That said, I am hovering around those owners in my leagues that are now thinking they paid too much for him...
    10 Team Salary Cap Keeper League-protect up to 15
    Total of points and +/-; position vs. position (ie. my 2 Centres vs. his 2 Centres)
    C -Crosby, Ribeiro, Strome, Granlund
    LW -Neal, Nyquist, Johansson, TBD
    RW -Coyle, Eberle, TBD, TBD
    D -Streit, Phaneuf, Green, Keith, Letang, TBD
    G -S. Mason, TBD

Dobber Sports Pro

disappointed owner here too, I used my last keeper spot on him in the summer. I wasnt happy at all when they signed Corvo, but I still thought McBain would get top PP minutes, unfortunately the bum Corvo has gotten all the prime minutes, and surprise surprise the Canes PP is operating at an amazing 11%, good for 27th in the NHL.

Tonight Pitkanen is out so Babchuk gets the promotion and the PP goes 0-7. I'm beginning to question Maurice's intelligence as I've always viewed him as 1 of the smartest minds in hockey. I've been watching a lot of Canes this year and McBain has struggled in his own zone, but he has still been creating a lot of offense and making great passes. I'm gonna hold on to him for another 10 games and see how he goes, but I'm currently tied for 1st so I cant carry dead-weight all year.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by donions View Post
    I've been watching a lot of Canes this year and McBain has struggled in his own zone
    You need look no further than this to know why McBain has disappointed because, not only does he not get rewarded with PP, he is likely getting reprimanded by Maurice. He hates guys that falter in their own end.

Great to hear a post from someone that has watched their games.
    10 Team Salary Cap Keeper League-protect up to 15
    Total of points and +/-; position vs. position (ie. my 2 Centres vs. his 2 Centres)
    C -Crosby, Ribeiro, Strome, Granlund
    LW -Neal, Nyquist, Johansson, TBD
    RW -Coyle, Eberle, TBD, TBD
    D -Streit, Phaneuf, Green, Keith, Letang, TBD
    G -S. Mason, TBD

Dobber Sports Prodigy

disappointed owner here too, I used my last keeper spot on him in the summer. I wasnt happy at all when they signed Corvo, but I still thought McBain would get top PP minutes, unfortunately the bum Corvo has gotten all the prime minutes, and surprise surprise the Canes PP is operating at an amazing 11%, good for 27th in the NHL.

Tonight Pitkanen is out so Babchuk gets the promotion and the PP goes 0-7. I'm beginning to question Maurice's intelligence as I've always viewed him as 1 of the smartest minds in hockey. I've been watching a lot of Canes this year and McBain has struggled in his own zone, but he has still been creating a lot of offense and making great passes. I'm gonna hold on to him for another 10 games and see how he goes, but I'm currently tied for 1st so I cant carry dead-weight all year.
    Nice info on the PP %'s. Not aware. Gee, sooner or later McBain may get a shot.
    15 team keeper league
    F - P.Marleau, B.Richards, Heatley, T. Fleishmann, Langenbrunner, T. Holmstrom, R.Whitney, Cheechoo, Voracek, Little, T. Ruutu, Kessel,
    D - Boyle, Weber, A. Edler, Zidlicky, J. Wisniewski, Kubina
    G - M. Kiprusoff, S. Varlamov, P. Rinne
    Farm: E.Karlsson, Carlson, Grabner, Repik

Dobber Sports Icon

Be patient with him, his long term potential is very good - last season he was gangbusters for a very short stretch and that has exaggerated expectations for a lot of people.

Give him time, he isn't Drew Doughty. I think he will be a very solid two-way defenceman - I would compare his fantasy potential to that of Edler - 50+ upside. It will take a few years.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Nichushkin, Batherson, Sharangovich
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei, Forsling
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, But, G.Perreault, Morrow, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Briarpatch00 View Post
    You need look no further than this to know why McBain has disappointed because, not only does he not get rewarded with PP, he is likely getting reprimanded by Maurice. He hates guys that falter in their own end.
    That's a good point BUT I need all 10 fingers to count the amount of giveaways Corvo makes in his own zone on a nightly basis, and he's always been that way.

Dobber Sports Ninja

That's a good point BUT I need all 10 fingers to count the amount of giveaways Corvo makes in his own zone on a nightly basis, and he's always been that way.
    No ya don't!! I just checked NHL.com stats and unless you lost a finger in a terrible construction accident (sorry if you really did!), you don't need all 10 fingers.

Covo has 9 Giveaways on the season, tied with Tim Gleason for the Canes lead. That is way way off the NHL Giveaway leader...drum roll please....Duncan Keith, who has committed 24 Giveaways according to NHL.com.

Do we consider Keith a bad defenseman now? Of course not. I question what constitutes a Giveaway/Takeaway/Hit/Blocked Shot/Face-off Win. They are left up to the official scorers at the home rinks, so I take all those stats with a grain of salt.

The kicker for me is that I watch enough Canes games to know that Corvo is amongst the top minute getter on that team and is almost always out there when the game is on the line (either down or up by one goal). He has earned the coaches trust, even if he commits the odd turnover.

Edit: Totally forgot what this thread is on...McBain! I saw that Carolina went out and brought back BOTH Corvo and Babchuk, and they already had Pitkanen and McBain. That's 1 or 2 too many offensive D types, so I traded McBain for roto-stud Steve Downie. I am very happy I made that deal.

I also think McBain is going to be a stud in the very near future, but the blueline is crowded in Carolina at the moment.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    No ya don't!! I just checked NHL.com stats and unless you lost a finger in a terrible construction accident (sorry if you really did!), you don't need all 10 fingers.

Covo has 9 Giveaways on the season, tied with Tim Gleason for the Canes lead. That is way way off the NHL Giveaway leader...drum roll please....Duncan Keith, who has committed 24 Giveaways according to NHL.com.
    Those stats are ABSURD! I remember a couple weeks ago watching the Canes and Corvo made 3 blatent giveaways in a 20 second span, and not 1 of them was recorded as a giveaway.

Arent you an Oiler fan along with me Comish, you know how often the Oilers make horrible giveways but they are rarely credited as giveways. I dont trust Statisticians at all!

ps. nice trade, thats a steal.

edit: Ill admit Corvo has been better than McBain at even strength, no doubt about it. But when your PP is struggling that bad, time for a change.
    Last edited by donions; November 7, 2010 at 9:43 PM.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Those stats are ABSURD! I remember a couple weeks ago watching the Canes and Corvo made 3 blatent giveaways in a 20 second span, and not 1 of them was recorded as a giveaway.

Arent you an Oiler fan along with me Comish, you know how often the Oilers make horrible giveways but they are rarely credited as giveways. I dont trust Statisticians at all!
    I think that was the main point I was trying to get across, exactly HOW are those stats counted, otherwise it's just goofy to include them. I totally HATE using plus/minus as a category, but hockey has such few useful stats and even if it's flawed, it's not subjective, you are either on the ice or not for a goal scored.

As for Corvo, I suspect a number of his giveaways come by trying to make/force passes aggressively up the ice. If he was horrific, there's no way Maurice would keep going to that well, when he has so many other choices. I guess what I'm trying to say is that he's not likely as bad as you think defensively, even though to your eyes he's brutal.

Yes I am a fellow Oil fan my good man!! Excellent win tonight against Chicago. Haha, 14 seconds and Edmonton wins! Sorry Hawks fans!

Dobber Sports Pro

I guess what I'm trying to say is that he's not likely as bad as you think defensively, even though to your eyes he's brutal.
    Yes I've always disliked him. He was making brutal giveways in Ottawa years ago. I was shocked when the Caps brought him in last year before the playoffs, he's not the kind of dman they needed and it cost them. But I'll try to ignore my bias, he's not so bad.

Yes I am a fellow Oil fan my good man!! Excellent win tonight against Chicago. Haha, 14 seconds and Edmonton wins! Sorry Hawks fans!
    Feels damn good to beat the Hawks the way the Oil have this year after the way CHicago manhandled Edmonton last year. Great win!