Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Fantasy Mailbag - November 1

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GoalieGuild View Post
    Argggh I really hope I get this answer to you in time!!

Lindback is a pretty serious threat, but it's not like a single loss or a few losses is going to eliminate his fantasy value. I wouldn't drop Brodeur for Rinne .... but maybe for Halak or Lundqvist. But Lindback is not going to turn into a workhorse that plays 80% of the games down the stretch. Rinne is a beast, Lindback is a less-refined beast. They are a great tandem but Rinne is still the #1 in Nashville.

Halak in exchange for your Brodeur is enticing. And I really like how Lundqvist is playing right now, including the first half of tonight's game against the Hawks!
    Got it to me just in time. Ended up taking Rinne over Thomas, Lundqvist, Halak and if Lindback starts taking away some starts I have another pickup period in a month. I didn't know if the blues and rangers would get enough wins to justify taking halak or lundqvist over brodeur and Thomas has been incredible but I'm still leary of rask re-emerging.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Justin,
    With 40% of the points going to Goaltending Categories in my league, I decided to target goalies very early.
    In my 11 team league I ended up with:
    Brodeur, Halak & Rask

We start 2 goalies in our league. We count Wins, Sv%, GAA & Shutouts
    Looking at those 3 I thought I was in a great position to dominate the goalie cats but now here is what some of the other teams have:

Team 1- Rinne, Kipper
    Team 2- Luongo, Thomas
    Team 3- Miller, Backstrom
    Team 4- Quick, Neuvirth
    Team 5- Lundqvist, Bobrovsky
    Team 6- Vokoun, Price

Do you think one of these other teams have me beat in goaltending? Did I overestimate my team?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by GoalieGuild View Post
    Hey sorry if I missed this in the past - it happens from time to time LOL.

Confidence is pretty much the main reason for Pickard's issues. I don't have all the insight in the world, but look at the type of style that Rinne, Lindback and Dekanich play (somewhat). They are all reflex-based goalies that rely on quick feet and hands to control pucks and eliminate space. That is not Pickard's style. At all. So I think it could be an issue in regards to what he is being asked or taught to do and what kind of goalie he needs to be to succeed. I don't know, I can't add any insight to it.

But it is definitely something to be worried about. It shouldn't be happening. He was inconsistent last year and he is not performing up to expectations this year. Dekanich was slated to play games in the AHL, but sending Pickard down to the ECHL is not just to get him more playing time. There's something behind it.

It is a very serious subject and something I'll have to do some research on ... because yes, it's very strange this is happening. But you can clearly take from the demotion that he is not playing up to the potential the organization wants him to be at. Something is causing a rift to exist and Atte Engren is a lot like Rinne and Lindback, big and lanky and active and great potential. So Pickard needs to do something quick or start thinking about moving elsewhere.
    Thanks a lot Justin. I look forward to any further information you can bring to this subject at a later date. I live in Calgary so following Pickard's progress is just a matter of statistics and not being able to see him play. I see what you mean by the difference in playing style between him and the other goaltenders though. I believe Pickard is much more of a blocking goalie, than the reflex type like Rinne and Lindback. Perhaps Pickard is seeing their success and unconsciously is trying to do too much (not playing his natural game). Who know's. I'd also like to get your opinion on Lindback's glove hand. When Lindback came over from Europe, most pundits said it was supposed to be a weakness for him. Have you seen players exploiting this area now or do you see them exploiting it in the future?

Love your work. keep up the great job.