Thread: Keeper Strategy

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Keeper Strategy

Hey guys, I joined a 14-team keeper league this year, keep 4 at the end of the season. I know its a whiles off, but as of right now I would keep Crosby/Getzlaf/Perry/Hall, with Subban, Rinne, and Halak all as possible 4th options (rather than Hall, who probably wouldn't "pay off" for a few years). Anways, I dont really like going with only forward keepers. (We do differentiate LW,C,RW), that being said, going through with a LW,C,RW, and Crosby is nothing to scoff at. I have been considering a couple moves. I have not offered them, and am only speculating, but they would be along the lines of

Crosby/? for Malkin/Carlson (as of right now, he is not highly thought of, however things will probably change in a few weeks)

Crosby/? for Kopitar/Doughty

I would really like to pull off the second one, but the owner is pretty savvy. I think Crosby/Subban could get it done, but is that worth it? I really like Doughty.

I guess my overall question is, should I be swinging a trade to get a stud keeper dman on my team? I already have Subban, but would consider either Doughty/Carlson an upgrade on him.

-cheers
    Zach Parise is my hero

-West Coast!!

Champ!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Dear god, do NOT trade Crosby in this format for anything consider a "close" deal. Keep 4? Sweet god if you never learn anything else in your entire life, learn this:

DO NOT TRADE CROSBY EVER IN A KEEP 4 (unless by doing so you are guaranteeing yourself a win AND sets you up for future wins).

Please, I cannot reiterate this enough, don't trade Crosby!
    PTKL - '18 and '19 Back to Back League Champion!
    12 team league, 20 players per team
    Count top 9 F, 4 D, 1 G
    Points only for F and D
    G Stats: W = 1, SO = 1, Saves (0.04 per save), Goals Against (-0.2 per goal), G and A also count

F: Barkov, Bergeron, Dadonov, Getzlaf, Hertl, Marchand, Olofsson, Pacioretty, Pavelski, Radulov, Stone, Wheeler, Zuccarello
    D: Krug, Letang, Petry, Rielly, Weber
    G: Fleury, Price

Dobber Sports Superstar

Yeah, I agree. When you think about it, when it comes to your keepers it would essentially be Crosby for Doughty. No way that makes any sense.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

What I've learned here is that in limited keeper you want to keep the best possible and Crosby definetly fits that mold.
    If you can post positional requirements, league type(H2H, Roto), and skater/goalie catagories. It may help influence who you should keep pending that information.
    20 Team H2H Dynasty Yahoo!
    G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,Hit,BLK,SOG,W,GAA,SV%,SHO
    C: Thornton, Henrique, Grabovski, S. Koivu, Powe
    LW: Ovechkin, Clowe, Booth, Hudler, S. Kostitsyn, Bailey, Tanguay
    RW: Doan, Ryder, Fehr
    D:Tyutin, Visnovsky, Salo, Klesla, Gleason, Allen, Campbell, Clitsome, Greene
    G: Lundqvist, Roloson
    C x3, LW x3, RW x3, F x2, D x6, G x1, BN x7

Banned

I like Doughty a lot too, but in a super limited keeper like yours I LOVE Crosby

Its been 15 years since someone put up 150 pts in the NHL (he was a Pen too, can you guess who? )) and if anyone can do it in today's NHL its either Sid or Ovie (or both even). These are the golden years to own a superstar (between year 4 and 10 for the prime years usually). Hang on to Sid man, don't overthink it

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

This mostly derives from my personal dislike of Crosby. I dont "hate" the guy, but he is definitely not high on my list. I was really hoping for a 4-6 draft position, but ended up at number 2. No matter how much i dislike the guy, I was not going to let him drop in a 4 keep league.

I also really dont like the idea of hanging onto Hall for a few years waiting for him to actually produce like a guy who deserves to be kept.

As mentioned when i started this thread, I havnt offered these deals, or even mentioned them to the owners. They were just speculation. I just was interested in seeing whether going after a top 3 dman (for the next 15 years) was worth it. Guess its not.

-cheers
    Zach Parise is my hero

-West Coast!!

Champ!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

If you dislike crosby then you have to get ovie ...or stamkos/backstrom in return.

If the owner of one of those guys like crosby better or you can package a player with crosby then it works.
    Strike Force Penguins - 8 Team Keeper League(6 Keeper):
    Ovechkin, Crosby, Heatley, Lecavalier, Green, R. Miller
    2009 Champs + 2010 Champs

Assault Penguins - 10 Team Keepers League(6 Keepers):
    Stamkos, Backstrom, Parise, Green, T. Myers, R. Miller
    2010 Champs

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Honestly in limited keepers it's all about consolidation. Almost never trade a tier 1 guy for two or three tier 2 guys, tier 2 guys emerge every year. Guys like Crosby/Ovechkin and to a lesser extent malkin and stamkos don't come along very often - when you get a chance to own these guys you dont trade them ESPECIALLY in limited keepers, these are the formats they are most valuable in.
    12 Team H2H League - Keep 6 and a goalie

C - Getzlaf
    LW - Nash, Sharp
    RW - Kane, Perry, Skinner
    D -
    G - Luongo

Stats
    Skaters - G, A, PPP, GWG, +/-, PIMs
    Goalies - Wins, Sv%, GAA, SO