Thread: More wins Niemi or Neuvirth?

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default More wins Niemi or Neuvirth?

I am in a keeper league with salary cap. I really just want opinions of how many wins theses two will get this year and beyond.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I would GUESS...this year Niemi as he is the starter and Neuvirth a back up...but going forward, maybe as soon as next year, Neuvirth would be the guy to have.
    12 team keeper league. 8 keepers/team.
    Skater Pts: goal = 2, assist =1, +/-, PIM = .5
    Goalie Pts: win = 5, SO = 3, Sv = .1, GA = -.9

FORWARDS:
    C. Giroux, I. Kovalchuk, E. Malkin, D. Clarkson, D. Perron, J. Pominville, J. Tootoo, R. Mason, R. Nash, J. Iginla, S. Gagner, R. O'Reilly, T. Bozak
    DEFENSE:
    C. Letang, Mike Green, A. Edler, N. Kronwall, D. Engelland, K. Yandle, B. Dillon, P. Martin
    GOALIES:
    R. Miller, J. Quick J. Hiller, C. Nilstorp

Administrator

Niemi for this year.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Veteran

I would suspect that Nemi splits starts as much as Neuvirth does Varlamov does not have the clear cut starting gig ala Boudreau... really I think Nemi plays more games this year but only has maybe 3-5 wins more tops and Neuvirth is the better going forward.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Niemi by a land slide. Look for 30+ wins for the defending Stanley Cup Champion in San Jose - Neuvirth still is far from being the #1 guy and I would go so far as to say that Varlamov is the future in Washington.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

This year, Niemi should win handily. Personally, I want Niittymaki to do so bad that they have no choice but to declare a goalie split a dead idea.

Long term: With Varly around, if the Caps win a cup with him in net, I can't see Neuvirth winning that job and Varly being dealt or just let go. Nobody knows where Niemi will go?
    Last edited by NYR9394; September 16, 2010 at 2:33 PM.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by NYR9394 View Post
    This year, Niemi should win handily. Personally, I want Niittymaki to do so bad that they have no choice but to declare a goalie split a dead idea.

Long term: With Varly around, if the Caps win a cup with him in net, I can't see Neuvirth winning that job and Varly being dealt or just let go. Nobody knows where Niemi will go?
    I agree with the fact that Niemi is the pick for this season, he will get more than half of the starts. Cant say the same for either Varlamov or Neuvirth.

Also its kinda funny that you are saying that if varly wins a cup there is no way they deal him or let him go when thats exactly what Chi just did with Niemi, it sounds unthinkable but it can happen.

Dobber Sports Star

Keep spreading the love for Niemi boys. I have been amazed at how far Niittymaki has dropped in most Yahoo drafts, when he has just as much chance of stealing the Number One job in San Jose as Niemi.

In fact, it says right here that Niittymaki (not Niemi) will end up winning more games with the Sharks this season.
    10 Team H2H Points-based Keeper League

G, A, PIM, SOG, +/-
    W, SO, SV, GA

C: H. Sedin, Stamkos, Backstrom, Duchene, Granlund
    LW: D. Sedin, Landeskog, B. Schenn, Tatar, Boedker
    RW: P. Kane, Voracek, Hudler, Silfverberg, Toffoli
    D: Ehrhoff, Edler, Franson, Del Zotto, Myers, R. Ellis, Hamonic
    G: Quick, Bishop, Holtby, Peters, M. Jones

Farm: Terevainen, Nurse, Raanta

League Champion: 2009, 2011, 2013 and 2014

12 Team Roto Dynasty League Champion: 2011 and 2013

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I get the feeling that a lot of people are going to be dissapointed with Neimi this season, especially considering I've seen him drafted in the 60's overall....

But for this topic, I do still believe he will have more wins than Neuvirth, although not by a significant amount (I'll take the under on 6).

If for whatever reason, Varlamov falters, it is possible that Neuvirth has more, but I dont see him getting a true shot at the #1 gig till next year

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Niemi this year, not because I think he'll get more than 50% of the starts though. I just don't think Neuvirth will get near enough starts until the 2nd half of the season or if Varly gets injured.

Dobber Sports Novice

I'd go with Neuvirth. Boudreau has shown a reluctance to put Varlamov in back to back games, stating that Varli expends too much energy on the ice. Plus, Varli is a band-aid boy and will get injured at some point this season. This adds up to a decent amount of starts for Neuvirth.

I also dont think Niemi is as technically sound a goalie. His poor rebound control will be exploited, given the weaker defence around him.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Niemi this year, not because I think he'll get more than 50% of the starts though. I just don't think Neuvirth will get near enough starts until the 2nd half of the season or if Varly gets injured.
    I would go with Niemi this year, but I think you meant "when" Varlamov gets injured.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Niemi guessing Niemi. It depends on how many starts Neuvirth gets.

Dobber Sports Initiate

last season, varly had a 2.55 gaa

and niemi had a 2.25 gaa w 26 wins

nittymaki 21 wins and a 2.87 gaa

nitty is a bit of a band-aid boy, but so is varly. ( long-term, in washington, i think we'll continue to see a great deal of good competition between varly, neuwirth, and holtby. cloudy.
    just as cloudy in san jose. )

this year, dobber sees niemi at least 9 wins better than neuwirth. i think, at least nine wins better.

go niemi.