Thread: Keeper Strategy - F or D?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Keeper Strategy - F or D?

12 team ESPN league, 5 keepers per team. Limit of 1 goalie keeper, only 2 goalies on roster at any time. 3pts for G or A, 0.2 per PIM.

So here's my conundrum. My 5 keepers as of now are Ovechkin, B. Richards, E. Staal, Green and Fleury. The keeper date is on Wednesday, so I've got all kinds of lines in the water trying to improve my list and draft position prior to the draft. One GM has an expansion team with a very weak roster. I offered him B. Richards, Gagne and Eriksson and 2 picks for Doughty and 2 slightly better picks.
    If he accepts, my list would be Ovie, Staal, Green, Doughty and Fleury.

During the draft, I try to beef up my D first, my strategy being that point-producing d-men are harder to find than point-producing forwards. Would you guys rather go into the season with my keeper list as is, or the list with two defencemen?
    10 Team H2H ESPN Keeper - G, A, PIM, FOW, ATOI, SOG, HIT, BLK, DEF, STP, W, SO, SV, GAA, SV%
    ================================================== ===========================
    Forwards: McDavid, Matthews, Ovechkin, Couture, Toews, Henrique, Perry, Perron, Maroon, Galchenyuk, Neal, R. Smith, Parise, Stastny, Konecny, Patrick
    Defence: Ristolainen, Josi, Hamilton, Giordano, Fowler, Ekholm, Schultz
    Goalies: Fleury, Lundqvist, Smith
    IR: Crawford

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

That would be a great move. Replacing Richards with Doughty would give you the best forward and the top 2 dmen. You would have a massive advantage every year based solely on your d core.

-cheers
    Zach Parise is my hero

-West Coast!!

Champ!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

1. Take Doughty & the pick upgrades.

2. You shouldn't get locked in on taking point-producing D-men first. The depth at D-scoring is pretty decent & there seem to be a lot of emerging young defensemen that you can get late. An early pick might nab you a 50pt D... but I still think the Johnny Boychuks, Anton Babchuks, & Jason Demers will get you 35pts (and maybe 40pts). With two top-tier D - I think you should go forward depth first. Especially since it looks like you start a 9/4/2. (If your league was a 6/4/2, like mine, then maybe grabbing the D a bit earlier would be justified).