Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2010 Draftees that will play this year?

Dobber Sports Guru

Seguin will make it, he's too good for junior. might be playing on the wing, is all.

i'm pretty close to certain that the AHL-CHL rule applies to anyone drafted out of the CHL, foreign or otherwise. i could be wrong, but i can't think of an example of a Euro player picked from the CHL that went to the AHL right away. anyone else?

Tarasenko looks NHL ready to me, but yeah, i'm sure he returns to KHL to play under his father at least one more year, as he has stated to the media all over the place.

Watson could be NHL ready, but it would probably be better for him to return to Peterborough and dominate.

also agree with Neiderreiter. openings are there and he is man-sized already. Johansen could be rushed but i think history has shown CBJ that's not for the best.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by ultrawhiteness View Post
    i'm pretty close to certain that the AHL-CHL rule applies to anyone drafted out of the CHL, foreign or otherwise. i could be wrong, but i can't think of an example of a Euro player picked from the CHL that went to the AHL right away. anyone else?
    I might be wrong but I think a different rule does apply.

My example would be Jaroslav Janus who was drafted out of Erie in the CHL to the TBL, only to be returned to them the following year after being drafted. However, he played so well they sent him to Norfolk for the remainder of the year.

Dobber Sports Novice

As for an example of a foreign player being under age and not being able to play in the AHL after playing in the CHL is Luca Sbisa. Luca Sbisa only played 8 games this year in the NHL and was sent back to the CHL before the 9 game cutoff that would make him stick in the NHL. The reason was he could not go into the AHL without going through waivers first and he was not ready for NHL action just yet. He did play 30+ games in 2008-2009 but was an emergency call up because of injuries to Phili and was sent back down to the CHL after the NHL starters were healthy.

Dobber Sports Novice

Jaroslav Janus was brought to the AHL under the same guildlines as the NHL's tryout basis (8 games max or they stick) and only played in 2 AHL games before being sent back down to the CHL. After the CHL season was over they brought him back up for more experience and gave him another 11 games in the AHL.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Hall will likely make the team full-time.

I don't really see anyone else from the draft have as strong a chance and would not be surprised if Hall is the only one in the NHL next season. I wouldn't rely on any of them making their respective teams.
    15 Team Keeper - 30 Player Roster, Full Keeper (Pts=1,W=2,SO=2,OTL=1)
    Weekly LineUps (2C,2R,2L,4D,1G)

C-Backstrom,Borgstrom,Schmaltz,Domi,J. Boqvist,Steel,Stepan,Vilardi
    RW-Atkinson,Fiala,Caufield,Terry,Radulov,Kailyev
    LW-Zucker,Ehlers,Formenton,Jost,Lindblom,Buchnevich
    D-Doughty,Hedman,Faulk,Barrie,Josi,K.Miller
    G-Fleury,Price,Hart,

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Pikkenan View Post
    As for an example of a foreign player being under age and not being able to play in the AHL after playing in the CHL is Luca Sbisa. Luca Sbisa only played 8 games this year in the NHL and was sent back to the CHL before the 9 game cutoff that would make him stick in the NHL. The reason was he could not go into the AHL without going through waivers first and he was not ready for NHL action just yet. He did play 30+ games in 2008-2009 but was an emergency call up because of injuries to Phili and was sent back down to the CHL after the NHL starters were healthy.
    I thought the only reason he was sent back to the CHL and not AHL is due to an age restriction (20 years and over only) of CHL drafted (and played at least 1 CHL game) players in the AHL. I had thought waivers do not apply to any players under the entry level contract. Also, I think the reasoning behind the 9-game tryout is more to do with consuming a year on a players elc and free agency eligibility. He could play 50 games and still get sent down if the team wanted, it just means they wasted a year of his elc. I could be wrong in these assumptions though.
    Last edited by lokguin; June 28, 2010 at 5:31 PM.
    15 Team Keeper - 30 Player Roster, Full Keeper (Pts=1,W=2,SO=2,OTL=1)
    Weekly LineUps (2C,2R,2L,4D,1G)

C-Backstrom,Borgstrom,Schmaltz,Domi,J. Boqvist,Steel,Stepan,Vilardi
    RW-Atkinson,Fiala,Caufield,Terry,Radulov,Kailyev
    LW-Zucker,Ehlers,Formenton,Jost,Lindblom,Buchnevich
    D-Doughty,Hedman,Faulk,Barrie,Josi,K.Miller
    G-Fleury,Price,Hart,

Dobber Sports Guru

i think you're right, lokguin

Dobber Sports Novice

Lokguin, I too think you are right, good call.