Thread: Two big trades, how'd I do?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Two big trades, how'd I do?

Just pulled off two big trades. I'm looking at these as a package, because the deals were dependent on both happening. What do you think of these deals?

Deal 1: I gave up Eric Staal and a 3rd round pick for Roberto Luongo, Patrick Sharp and a 5th round pick

Deal 2: I gave up Evgeni Nabokov for Jeff Carter

Background: 12-team keeper league. Stats for skaters are G, A, PPG, PPA, SHP, GWG, PIM, +/-, SOG and FW. Stats for goalies are GS, W, SO, GAA and SV%. Also, we have a 4-year limit on our keepers, and Staal and Nabby were both entering their 4th year for me, so I had to deal them sometime in the next year.

Basically I traded Nabby for Louie, and Staal plus a 3rd rounder for Carter, Sharp and a 5th rounder. I'm pretty happy with both parts of the deal. Thoughts?

The Airborne Attack
    (GFHL - 14 Team Keeper League 2016 Champions)

F: McDavid, Laine, Monahan, Simmonds, van Riemsdyk, Granlund, Schwartz, Kreider, Oshie, Trochek, Bjugstad
    D: Ekman Larsson, Carlson, Ristolainen, Parayko, Skjei, Ekblad, McNabb
    G: Price, Rinne, Halak, Montoya

Farm: Dvorak, Kaprizov, Ritchie, Rattie, Chabot, Carrick, Johns, Hutton, Sorokin

The Magnificent One

considering nabby and staal were going to be lost then ofcourse you won this deal no questions asked.

but besides that luongo younger and better than nabby. great upgrade.

staal is better than carter in my mind but again your going with the goalie upgrade so smart move. plus again you were going to lose staal so it makes sense.
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Padawan

Thanks. That was basically my thinking. When Louie's owner asked for Staal, I knew I needed to replace him with another good, young centre. My biggest rival is very strong in faceoffs, so I didn't want to give up Staal without replacing those FW's.

The Airborne Attack

F: McDavid, Laine, Monahan, Simmonds, van Riemsdyk, Granlund, Schwartz, Kreider, Oshie, Trochek, Bjugstad

Farm: Dvorak, Kaprizov, Ritchie, Rattie, Chabot, Carrick, Johns, Hutton, Sorokin

Dobber Sports Padawan

Nice work overall. The first deal with Staal was very nice - Luongo is a clear #1 in Van. However I have some concerns for you in goal. Luongo/ Nabby would have been a pretty good combo for you. Just not sure how Mason/Price will do as your #2.

Nabby Staal and a 3rd for Lou, Carter and Sharp and a 5th is a win

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Go Puck Yourself View Post
    Nice work overall. The first deal with Staal was very nice - Luongo is a clear #1 in Van. However I have some concerns for you in goal. Luongo/ Nabby would have been a pretty good combo for you. Just not sure how Mason/Price will do as your #2.

Nabby Staal and a 3rd for Lou, Carter and Sharp and a 5th is a win
    My back-up goaltending destroyed me this year. That's my next priority in the off-season. We're having an expansion draft and we can only protect 2 goalies (plus prospects). So I'll protect Louie and one of Price/Mason, and trade the other. I've also got Varlamov on the farm, and I may try to pick up Neuvirth in our draft as insurance.

The Airborne Attack

Dobber Sports Padawan

That's tough...Varly makes me nervous. Injury issues?

If I were a betting man I would hold onto Mason, unless Price gets traded to another team.

Dobber Sports Padawan

That's kind of how I'm leaning. But with our expansion draft, I've got some marketable guys to unload (Clowe, Brown, Bieksa plus Price or Mason). So I'm hoping I can combine some of them into a package to upgrade my #2 goalie.

The Airborne Attack

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by elevatemysoul View Post
    That's kind of how I'm leaning. But with our expansion draft, I've got some marketable guys to unload (Clowe, Brown, Bieksa plus Price or Mason). So I'm hoping I can combine some of them into a package to upgrade my #2 goalie.
    i think i would protect Clowe or Brown over A. Kostitsyn as the 1st two will play on the top 2 lines while AK tends to spend time anywhere from the 1st-4th line and press box. He may also become discouraged as his little bro gets sentenced to life in the KHL.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Oh, believe me, I wouldn't keep AK over Brown or Clowe. I won't be able to keep any of them, I just didn't include AK in my list of marketable guys. No one in my league has any interest in him whatsoever, so I expect to lose him for nothing.

I can protect 8 F, 4 D and 2 G, plus all prospects. As of now, I will be keeping these 8 F: Malkin, Backstrom, Carter, Marleau, Perry, Savard, Pavelski and Sharp. Stamkos and Oshie are safe on my farm, with my other prospects. My 4 keeper D will be Phaneuf, Whitney, Letang and Barker, so I'll be shopping Bieksa and Coburn.

The Airborne Attack

Dobber Sports Star

Great moves... Staal may contribute a little more than Carter in his all around game, but asides from the upgrade in Luongo I really like the addition of Sharp, a very underrated addition, not bad to get 60+ pts. from a guy who should be good for 4 SHP a year, since that's a category you count.
    [color=#008000]24 Team / 3 Tier Roto League
    G|A|+/-|PIM|PPP|SOG|Hits|BS
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1
    C: Tavares, Duchene, JStaal, Marner, Grigorenko, Dubois, Barzal
    LW: Landeskog, Teravainen, Pearson, Wilson, Pulkkinen, Bittner
    RW: PKane, Gaborik, Virtanen, Rantanen, Stewart, Sprong, Chiasson, Vey
    D: OEL, Barrie, Bogosian, Larsson, McNabb, Oduya, Bigras
    G: Bobrovsky, Korpisalo, Hutton, Hellberg