Thread: Discuss Martin St.Louis value

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Discuss Martin St.Louis value

As a 94pt - $4 Million - Top 5 RW in yahoo - despite being 34 years old

Given he has 1 more year remaining on his contract and the likely event that he will sign a front-loaded-salary-reduced LTC next summer.

What do you think he is worth?

Curious?

I start my thinking at two NHL level prospects and a high first rounder.

NOTE:
    It is a salary based keeper league. With 23man rosters.
    CCC LWLWLW RWRWRW FFF DDDDDD GG BNBNBN

I also have a half-empty farm, but there is a lot available. So I am not worried there at all really.

This is not a contending team, but I am deep are RW and D.
    League Rules:12 Teams-24 Players-12 Keepers.
    3C 3LW 3RW 3F 6D 2G 4BN 2IR
    C-V.Lecavelier,M.Duchene,L.Couture,D.Stepan
    LW-A.Ovechkin,T.Hall,V.Leino,E.Cole,K.Clifford
    RW-I.Kovalchuk,C.Stewart,J.Skinner,B.Little
    D-Z.Chara,V.Hedman,J.Johnson,D.Hamhuis,E.Johnson,M.G iordano,M.A.Bergeron
    G-C.Price,C.Schneider,A.Lindback,J.Reimer

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I would say that you should be able to get that from a team that is trying to win, but anyone else will likely laugh if you try and get that for an aging player in a keeper pool. Most guys look at the 32-33 year old point as being the line for trading to get a player, with so much younger/cheaper talent available it is tough to justify moving high end prospects/picks unless they will win you the pool.

Dobber Sports Pro

TB is a sticky situation. St.Louis value versus cap situation is a great value.

JHM has always preached in salary cap league... 20 points should equal 1 million.

St.Louis- Giving you more production for the salary. He's worth keeping if you don't get a deal that is ridiculous and you cannot refuse.
    Follow me on X! Renegade_H

16 team Banger league
    G,A,PPP,BLK,HITS,PIM,SOG,W,GAA,S%,SAVES

FWDS
    Robertson, Stamkos, Kyrou, Huberdeau, Necas, Carlsson, Rossi, McMichael, Coleman, Gaudreau, Schwartz, Kuzmenko, Hathaway, Hoglander, Domi, Barbashev, Newhook

DMEN
    Montour, Burns, Hanifin, Sanheim, Walman, Pionk, Provorov

GOALIES
    Fluery, Montembeault, Wedgewood, Raanta

Injured
    F. Andersen, Landeskog, Hamilton

PROSPECT POOL
    Kasper, Moore, Ostlund, Yurov, Morrow, Zellweger, Nazar

The Magnificent One

what others said. he is tricky. peopel feel he is old and cant produce at that level anymore. they clearly are proven wrong but another year and he gets older. summer might be a bad time to move him espcially with the whole statement of him wanting to be traded unless TB can get there act together. could going to another team help him or hurt him. he will be on a winning team but not playing with stamkos which at this point you cant get better.

i think if you want to sell him sell him FAST as people are high on him. but if you cant get the right price wait on him until next season when he hits his hot self and then sell him to a team going for it.
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Pro

Stlouis has been undervalued in my keeper league since day 1. I've realized im just stuck with him...that said, I'm happy as hell to be stuck with a 90pt winger.
    Especially if i was in a cap league, thats incredible value.

Dont rush too trade him, theres talk of him being traded, he wont goto a team that isnt a contender so hes bound to end up with some good teammates(prolly none as good as Stamkos tho); but there's always GMs in every pool that all of a sudden desperately want a certain player cause he's been traded.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Dobber Sports Padawan

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he's the one thinking of making a move to get him. The league he talks about seems to be the one in his sig, and he doesn't have St. Louis there, so I assume he's the one looking to nab him.

As far as that goes, I think St. Louis is worth a far bit, but in most situations you can underpay for him, because people tend to undervalue him. I'd open up discussions with a very good prospect and first, as the owner may jump at that.
    12 Team Keeper League, 4 C, 4 LW, 4 RW, 6 D, 1G, 6 BN, 3 IR
    Keep 20 players
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    W, L, GA, SV, SO

C: Toews, Skinner, Eller, Hertl, Granlund, Jenner, Lindholm
    LW: Boedker, Galchenyuk, Silfverberg, M. Richards
    RW: Yakupov, Nichushkin, Gaborik, Setoguchi, Niederreiter
    D: Karlsson, Subban, Goligoski, D. Kulikov, Carlson, Brodin, Trouba
    G: Price, Varlamov

Quote Originally Posted by TavesSoul View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he's the one thinking of making a move to get him. The league he talks about seems to be the one in his sig, and he doesn't have St. Louis there, so I assume he's the one looking to nab him.
    Sigh!

Fortunately the Sig only has so much space, otherwise all we would see in forums are peoples teams, and not there comments, as some of us puck-junkies have just way way way to many teams. I limited my self to two this year, and the team in question I just acquired as a third since I now know the Commish and it is almost an identical league as one the others.

My Sig is for the team I have in the league that I run. And needs changing now that the off-season is here.

My now 3rd league, is the one with St.Louis and I am not getting much action for other players like Iginla or a cadre of DET players I inherited. St. Louis was a great bang-for-your-buck player that is certainly worth keeping, but with three F spots and 3 bench I have have 6 RW eligable players, so I can afford to lose Might Mouse if I got a good offer. Strangely enough, I am only getting buy low offers citing age issues. He is 34 not 38. People are trying to compare him to Brind'amour who only just fell off - at 40!

So please more opinions, as I am letting more offers come in. But so far thanks guys. I generally am NOT told on this site that my thinking is wrong, but whenever you join an established league there are some who assume you have no clue or that your player valuations are preposturous. That is when I usually ask questions and not just provide my own opinions. It is all fun of course, and I don't want to just wade my way through a year of hockey in a league that has no movement because every other GM thinks is checking line center is worth OVI just because he got 3 pts against the weekest team in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    JHM has always preached in salary cap league... 20 points should equal 1 million.
    Can I join this league? By that rationelle OVI, SID, and GINO are all available. Sign me up quick!

Just kidding...it is a pretty decent formula that does not require rocket science or spreadsheets. Hard to be consistant with though, and it ignores intangables. But as a general rule good.

Dobber Sports Legend

Stick to your guns here. St. Louis is a top player and late bloomer (started when 24). Plus, he has only missed 2 games in the last 7 years! Are you kidding me?! I would gladly take him over a 28 year old who misses 10-12 games per.

The little fellow is just one of those guys who never get their due respect, even in fantasy circles. If you can get real nice value for him, sure, pull the trigger. Why settle though? Someone who realizes his value will (should) play ball.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Apprentice

JHM has always preached in salary cap league... 20 points should equal 1 million....

This is off in my opinion - Crosby and Ovechkin would have to put up 140 points to make them valuable which is not true.