Thread: espn vs yahoo?

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default espn vs yahoo?

I am sure this has been asked before...but what do you guys prefer for hockey?

I run a yearly roto and two h2h keepers with no salary/minors....but wouldn't mind including them if they were offered.

Another thing that pisses me off, player eligibility on Yahoo is terrible. THey dont update positions (Byfug play D fora month now, still just RW) and getting guys on IR happens 1-2 days after the fact.

Im a Yahoo guy and really the only thing keeping me from trying out ESPN is that I have my profile history on Yahoo and all my trophies.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

This year ESPN has added multiple position eligibility and they were really fast when I contacted them about Laich, adding LW eligibility less than a day after I'd sent them the suggestion with some proper references. That was pretty much the only thing I liked about Yahoo before, so now I don't see any reason why anyone would want to use Yahoo over ESPN. I think the interface is a thousand times better and faster and I love the realtime updates.

Edit: Also, when Carter went down, he was available for IR the same night. Love it.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yahoo has real time updates for free now too.

Dobber Sports Initiate

If a players goes down but isn't on the official IR, ESPN will mark him as 'Out', which still makes him eligible for your IR slot so you can deal with the situation. I'm sure all of us have had some colourful words for Yahoo when a guy goes down but isn't on the IR (*coughGoncharcough*).

Hands down, no question, 100 percent, ESPN is the superior site. I've been in yahoo leagues for years, this season was my first being in an ESPN league. Any league I start will always be with ESPN from now on.
    10 Team H2H ESPN Keeper - G, A, PIM, FOW, ATOI, SOG, HIT, BLK, DEF, STP, W, SO, SV, GAA, SV%
    ================================================== ===========================
    Forwards: McDavid, Matthews, Ovechkin, Couture, Toews, Henrique, Perry, Perron, Maroon, Galchenyuk, Neal, R. Smith, Parise, Stastny, Konecny, Patrick
    Defence: Ristolainen, Josi, Hamilton, Giordano, Fowler, Ekholm, Schultz
    Goalies: Fleury, Lundqvist, Smith
    IR: Crawford

Banned

I prefer Yahoo. Easier to navigate, easier to add and drop players, better interface, etc.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Ev View Post
    I prefer Yahoo. Easier to navigate, easier to add and drop players, better interface, etc.
    You think so? I find ESPN's setup much cleaner and easier to use. I also find it much easier to sort players, especially by the last 7, 15 or 30 game intervals.

To each their own!
    10 Team H2H ESPN Keeper - G, A, PIM, FOW, ATOI, SOG, HIT, BLK, DEF, STP, W, SO, SV, GAA, SV%
    ================================================== ===========================
    Forwards: McDavid, Matthews, Ovechkin, Couture, Toews, Henrique, Perry, Perron, Maroon, Galchenyuk, Neal, R. Smith, Parise, Stastny, Konecny, Patrick
    Defence: Ristolainen, Josi, Hamilton, Giordano, Fowler, Ekholm, Schultz
    Goalies: Fleury, Lundqvist, Smith
    IR: Crawford

Banned

For sure, it's just my preference because I've used Yahoo a ton of times and ESPN only once .

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Ev View Post
    I agree with this. I haven't used ESPN in a while so it may have changed but when I did use it I found the set up to be a little "cluttered", for a lack of a better word.

I like the way Yahoo! has things organized, and once you get over the whole IR thing, there really isn't much wrong with it.

I've also heard CBS is really good. I've got one league on Fantrax and it's a beaut... probably the best site I've used
    12 Team, Head to Head Points Keeper League (Keep 7)
    G(3), A(2), PPP(0.75), SHP(1), HITS(0.15), BKS(0.1)
    W(3), SV(0.05), SO(3)

C (2), LW (2), RW (2), D (4), UTIL (1), G (2), BENCH (5)

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by mm12 View Post
    I agree with this. I haven't used ESPN in a while so it may have changed but when I did use it I found the set up to be a little "cluttered", for a lack of a better word.

I like the way Yahoo! has things organized, and once you get over the whole IR thing, there really isn't much wrong with it.

I've also heard CBS is really good. I've got one league on Fantrax and it's a beaut... probably the best site I've used
    I have fantrax for one simple reason... setting your rosters daily is a pain in the ass... yahoo's drag adn drop system is so much faster it isn't funny.
    Hellfish Hockey League
    www.Hellfishhockey.ca

In The Crease
    www.inthecrease.ca

Dobber Sports Master

can someone who uses espn send me a pm with their available stat categories ?

considering using them next year instead of cbs

Dobber Sports Newbie

We made the switch this year from Yahoo to ESPN and everyone seems to favour the ESPN site. As league manager, I find it to be much more flexible than Yahoo when setting up your league. As for the scoring categories...

ESPN's available categories:

Skating:

G Goals
    A Assists
    +/- Plus/minus
    PTS Points
    PIM Penalty Minutes
    PPG Power Play Goals
    PPA Power Play Assists
    SHG Short Handed Goals
    SHA Short Handed Assists
    STG Special Teams Goals
    STA Special Teams Assists
    STP Special Teams Points
    GWG Game-Winning Goals
    FOW Faceoffs Won
    FOL Faceoffs Lost*
    SHFT Shifts
    TOI Time on Ice
    ATOI Average Time on Ice
    HAT Hat Tricks
    SOG Shots on goal
    GP Games Played
    HIT Hits
    BLK Blocked Shots
    DEF Defensemen Points
    PPP Power Play Points
    SHP Short Handed Points

Goaltending:
    GS Games Started
    W Wins
    L Losses*
    SA Shots Against
    GA Goals Against*
    EGA Empty Net Goals Against*
    SV Saves
    SO Shutouts
    MIN Minutes Played
    OTL Overtime Losses*
    GAA Goals Against Average*
    SV% Save Percentage
    GW% Goalie Winning Percentage

Dobber Sports Expert

ESPN gets my vote, over Yahoo. I find it easier to check players, and do everything that you need better.

Dobber Sports Master

I'd need espn to allow me to assign ''time on ice'' x .10 for d-men only
    our forwards dont get fp's for toi

anyone know if you can customize that in espn ?