Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Couple of Cancuck prospects -

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by angus View Post
    One 's' in Kesler!

Hardy, I don't think your read on the situation is right. Kesler will re-sign, and Hodgson will be brought up. There is no choice between the two.

Also, committing money to Lou and the Sedins? Those are the franchise cornerstones, of course you commit money to them...

Canucks will be in good cap shape. They have no bad contracts at all (especially with Demitra's 4 mill expiring), they have lots of young forwards ready to play big roles (especially Grabner, Raymond, and potentially Hodgson), and they have all of their top end players locked up long term.

The biggest ? this offseason will be whether to re-sign Mitchell or add a replacement like Volchenkov or Hamhuis.
    For the record, I think that Kesler will end up resigning with the Canucks ( for a number of reasons) but it is not a solid lock for a couple of reasons.

Kesler is a free agent and might recieve a better offer from another team.

The salary Cap is an issue in todays NHL and the Canucks like every other team only have so much money to go around. I agree that they have no bad contracts execpt maybe Demitra but he comes off the books and Bernier at 2 million for 1 more year off the top of my head.

Also it's not next year where Kesler and Hodgson becomes a choice but down the road if they keep both players, especially if the Canucks give Kesler 5 million per on a long contract (which is Kessler's rumored asking price) then it restricts what it can do with other upcoming free agents like Raymond Raymond and perhaps future guys like Hodgson ect...

Also there is the wildcard of this years playoffs where the Canucks are expected to go to the conference final. What if they get knocked out in the 1st round or even the 2nd, what happens then?

Does Gillis feel a need to shakeup the team? Go in a slightly different direction?

Hodgson's development is also an issue here as he has the makings of a very good number 1 or 2 center in the NHL with a peak value (both in fantasy and real NHL value slightly higher than Keslers IMO) but he is once again injured so the Canucks and us fans will have to see how it all shakes out.

If Kesler ends up resigning with the Canucks then they will be hard pressed to resign Mitchell unless he is ready to give a "hometown" discount to the Canucks.

Also a lot depends on where the Salary cap goes, either up or down as the Canucks have around $37 million commited next year so far to 13 players not including key players like Kesler,
    Raymond, Mitchell and Demitra's replacement.

Obviously Grabner at less than $800k would help this situation a ton if he can regain his earlier season form before that freak injury and give the Canucks a ton of flexibility for next year.

On the flip side if Grabner breaks out then his contract will be up in 11/12 but that's a probelm every team would like to be in.
    14 team keeper league (keep 15 plus 3 prospects)
    19 active, 8 bench, 2 prospects less than 40 NHL games. Play h2h with postions 3c, 3lw, 3rw, (3 felx forwards) 5d, 2g

C-E.Stall, Plekanac,Thorton, Turris, Little
    LW_Elias, Heatley (RW), Pacioretty
    RW-Erat
    D-Keith, Yandle, OEL, Giordano
    G- Rinne, Nabakov

(Farm) Beau Bennett, Jaden Schwartz

Follow me on Twitter @HardyintheWack

(draft in process)

Dobber Sports Sage

Kesler will be a canuk for a loooooong time. Guaranteed
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by ridinryan44 View Post
    Kesler will be a canuk for a loooooong time. Guaranteed
    Summed up in one sentence. Love it Ryan!

Dobber Sports Star

Hardyvan, I guess I just can't see any situation where Gillis would choose any of those other players over a guy like Kesler. Kesler is the team's glue... him @ $5M for 10 years would be a steal and Gillis wouldn't blink to give him that contract.

Mitchell, Raymond, Hodgson - they would be shown the door before Kesler ever would. Besides the twins and Luongo (possibly Burrows), Kesler is the team's most valuable/important player.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Is there any shot at all that Vancouver doesn't force Schroeder to shift to the wing?
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by hockeypoolgeek View Post
    Hardyvan, I guess I just can't see any situation where Gillis would choose any of those other players over a guy like Kesler. Kesler is the team's glue... him @ $5M for 10 years would be a steal and Gillis wouldn't blink to give him that contract.

Mitchell, Raymond, Hodgson - they would be shown the door before Kesler ever would. Besides the twins and Luongo (possibly Burrows), Kesler is the team's most valuable/important player.

Well if Gretzky can get traded then anyone can not be resigned or get traded.

Like I noted in previous posts a lot depends on what happens during the playoff run as well.

As good as Kesler has been for the last 2 seasons his playoff stats are still very average and the Canucks will have leverage to keep his demands down for a long term contract if he does not improve on those stats this playoff run.

IMO Hodgson, as long as he is healthy, is going to be a slightly better player than Kesler as well as he has better hockey sense and a better skill set besides skating.

Schroeder needs to get a ton better before he even thinks about an NHL career, he has slipped down quite a bit this year but is still very young and a move to the WHL or AHL next season would help him greatly.
    19 active, 8 bench, 2 prospects less than 40 NHL games. Play h2h with postions 3c, 3lw, 3rw, (3 felx forwards) 5d, 2g

RW-Erat
    G- Rinne, Nabakov

(draft in process)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

By the way, can you all stop using "resign" and start using the correct "re-sign"? There is a world of difference between the two, stop killing the language
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Ace

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by sentium View Post
    By the way, can you all stop using "resign" and start using the correct "re-sign"? There is a world of difference between the two, stop killing the language
    Guilty 2 finger typer here.

RW-Erat
    G- Rinne, Nabakov

(draft in process)

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post

Also there is the wildcard of this years playoffs where the Canucks are expected to go to the conference final. What if they get knocked out in the 1st round or even the 2nd, what happens then?
    Who expects the Canucks to go to the Conference Final?

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyrug View Post
    Who expects the Canucks to go to the Conference Final?
    Just about everyone in Vancouver here.

The only team that the local media thinks that the Canucks can't handle ( and a lot think they can due to goal tending) is Chicago.

Personally all of their players will have to rise to the occasion to make the conference finals with Mitchell out.

To early for predictions though on my part.

I only made the point that the Canucks are expected to go farther this year and an early exit might influence future directions of the club, which is kind of obvious for any team I know.

RW-Erat
    G- Rinne, Nabakov

(draft in process)

Dobber Sports Pro

So what you all are saying is that I should shop Grabner for someone good? Before he loses value when he does not make the big game next year?
    Follow me on X! Renegade_H

16 team Banger league
    G,A,PPP,BLK,HITS,PIM,SOG,W,GAA,S%,SAVES

FWDS
    Robertson, Stamkos, Kyrou, Huberdeau, Necas, Carlsson, Rossi, McMichael, Coleman, Gaudreau, Schwartz, Kuzmenko, Hathaway, Hoglander, Domi, Barbashev, Newhook

DMEN
    Montour, Burns, Hanifin, Sanheim, Walman, Pionk, Provorov

GOALIES
    Fluery, Montembeault, Wedgewood, Raanta

Injured
    F. Andersen, Landeskog, Hamilton

PROSPECT POOL
    Kasper, Moore, Ostlund, Yurov, Morrow, Zellweger, Nazar

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    So what you all are saying is that I should shop Grabner for someone good? Before he loses value when he does not make the big game next year?
    Grabner was actually playing really well when he had that freak injury in the hallway, if his career never takes off because of that it will be a real shame.

He is still young and the Cap and his skill set says that he will get a good shot next year.

RW-Erat
    G- Rinne, Nabakov

(draft in process)