Thread: Trade evaluation - would love to hear from Dobber on this one.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Trade evaluation - would love to hear from Dobber on this one.

Okay a really lopsided trade happened in my league recently. It's the same type of league as Dobber's in the Starting a Pool section. It's the type of league where points that are already accumulated get traded with the players. This means that you can make a trade or sign a free agent and jump up the standings automatically.

So here is the trade:
    Pts in ()

Team A gets: Parise (61), Zidlicky (41), Elliot (53)

Team B gets: Filpulla (22), Umberger (42), Brunnstrom (11), PM Bouchard (0), Gilbert (13), 5th and 8th round picks.

We only count our Top 6 Fwds, 4 Dmen, 2 Goalies. So as you can see Team A gets a huge points boost out of the deal. He basically went from middle of the pack to top 3 in our 14 team league. We only pay out the top 3 spots and it is now a 3 horse race.

Our league has rules in place that allow vetoes to happen if there is evidence of collusion but this is definitely NOT the case here. Both guys are good friends and as honest as they come. However this trade has caused a lot of controversy. Almost all the contending teams are whining like crazy and basically asking me (the commish) to kick the Team B owner out of the League for not knowing what he is doing. Apparently Team A had a guilty conscience and also wanted to include Filatov to help even things out but Team B refused! Ironically the Team B owner initially felt that he got the better end of the deal. He needed depth up front and felt that he accomplished that.

I'm trying to tell the guys all the right things here. There was no collusion and the rules aren't there to protect GM's from making bad deals. If it is that bad of a deal then lessons will be learned.

I agree that the deal is lopsided but if guys like Filpulla, Gilbert, and Bouchard can reach their potential it won't seem as bad as it does now.

So the questions are is this deal really as lopsided as it seems and if so should this guy be kicked out?

Dobber Sports Padawan

If no collusion is present, and you've stated there's no hint of it at all, then all is well. Is this trade real lopsided? Ya, it is, and by a far margin, although you're right that if the guys play up to their potential for Team B, it'll seem a lot better, although still lopsided. Giving up Parise and Zidlicky hurts a lot though, and hopefully the owner remembers that and learns a lesson. The other guys are just mad because they didn't make the offer and nab Parise, or know they could have made the offer. You can't punish owners for not being as knowledgeable, you just hope he learns, and if he doesn't eventually he'll get sick of running a losing effort and you'll be looking for another manager legitimately. I would suggest however that you inform Team B's manager that you are always available for consultation when he's considering completely a deal, or, as it is in my one league, when you're close to dealing a top 15 type guy, posting that you're thinking of moving him to get the best offers available.
    12 Team Keeper League, 4 C, 4 LW, 4 RW, 6 D, 1G, 6 BN, 3 IR
    Keep 20 players
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    W, L, GA, SV, SO

C: Toews, Skinner, Eller, Hertl, Granlund, Jenner, Lindholm
    LW: Boedker, Galchenyuk, Silfverberg, M. Richards
    RW: Yakupov, Nichushkin, Gaborik, Setoguchi, Niederreiter
    D: Karlsson, Subban, Goligoski, D. Kulikov, Carlson, Brodin, Trouba
    G: Price, Varlamov

I...am your father.

Those guys will calm down in a couple weeks and when they do they will feel ashamed of themselves. Do they realize that they are talking about kicking a friend out of their league because he made a weak deal? Not only is that pretty shitty to do to an aquaintance, but it would set a terrible precedent (that is - watch your back, because if you screw up you get kicked out!)

I would speak to them one by one and make them feel guilty for talking like that. You can be down on a deal without going overboard like that.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Icon

I do agree with a atleast a protest as that deal is horrible....but geez as Dobber said theyve gone waaaay overboard

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I would kick the guys out who are complaining and keep the two guys who did the trade. They seem to have been quite conscious of equity in the deal (even though it likely didn't result) - I like them.

Personally, I think you articulated very well the trade standards for your league - I would go as far as reasserting those standards with the whole league and if it doesn't cool things down, then I would bring a case to the table of reverse collusion against the protesting GM's, because that is essentially what is happening here.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Hey guys,

Thanks very much for the responses! Hopefully things will cool down and people will see things more clearly soon.

Opinions about players change so quickly in this game. Hopefully that will be the case in this deal and people will remember it for the future.

Really appreciate your opinions and help.

Sam